Author Topic: Hsinhanwu's Chicken W/ Nola Rice  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Hsinhanwu's Chicken W/ Nola Rice
« Reply #-1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »
Apr 01 2016

I wanted to try Hsinhanwu's marinade recipe so I bought a whole fryer chicken and thought some Zatarain's New Orlean yellow rice and sauteed mushrooms would be good with it.

I made up the marinade early to let the flavors meld. I used vodka but added  one tablespoon rice vinegar for some sour. I just added a good pinch of crushed red pepper, I can't go too hot or the rest of the family won't eat it! I left out the anise.

I cut the backbone out of the chicken and halved it. It went into a plastic bag and in the fridge for 3 ½ hours. I turned it twice.

I put the chicken on my preheated Traeger at 190 deg. I didn't rince it; right out og the bag and on the grill. After a half hour I went to 285 deg. grill level and brushed on some marinade after one hour. I went to 300 deg. grill level and it took another 40 minutes to get to 174 deg. breast IT. It was on a total of an hour 40 minutes.

I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in some brown butter and seasoned with Savor All. I started them on my stove to get the skillet hot and then went on my smoker for the last half hour.I got them a little dry and should have added some liquid near the end. They were on for 40 minutes and had planned on 30 minutes.

I was lookin for the chicken to be done at 6:30 and had the rice going in my rice cooker. I checked the rice at 6:15 and it was cold, seems the cook forgot to turn it on! I dumped it in a sauce pan and on the stove where I could get it done in about 20 minutes. The rice and the chicken were done pretty well at the same time.

It was a good supper. The chicken was moist and tender but as usual the skin was not quite crisp enough. The wife, daughter and I didn't think there was lot of flavor in the chicken. When I tasted the marinade after it set a while I thought it would really be good. Since the vodka has no taste maybe I would like it better with the vinegar. If done over charcoal where you can baste more and brown up the skin better you might get better results.

It's still a good marinade and want to try it on kabobs soon. I was afraid to let my chicken marinade over night for fear of mushy meat.

Marinade recipe: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=16614.msg220819#msg220819

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:13:48 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Hsinhanwu's Chicken W/ Nola Rice
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »
That sure looks good Don! Nothing wrong with that!

Offline Pappymn

Hsinhanwu's Chicken W/ Nola Rice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Tasty looking meal
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Looks real good
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
Still looks good SD
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green