Author Topic: Smoked Chicken Salad  (Read 1436 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Smoked Chicken Salad
« Reply #-1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:58:31 AM »
Jason's Smoked Chicken Salad

Ingredients :
Smoke whole chicken and use just the breast meat as I did (and snack on the rest) or just buy 2 breasts and smoke
2-3 stalks celery chopped (I used about 2.5)
1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 cups Red Grapes, halved
1 Gala Apple, diced into bite sized chunks
About 1/2 Cup Mayo (I just add it until it looks right, well coats everything as I mix with wooden spoon)
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves (pull from stem, roll up and dice with sharp knife)
1 tbsp parsley flakes or fresh parsley
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions :
Smoke the chicken in whatever fashion you like. I smoked it on the Pit Barrel Cooker with 3 chunks of Cherry wood. Once it reaches 160° in the breast, remove from smoker and allow to cool to close to room temp. While that's cooling I cut up the apple and cut out the core before dicing into bite sized chunks, add it into the bowl with the lemon juice and mix, next the grapes and onion, mix. Then the almonds along with the tarragon and parsley. Mix again and add sugar and then mix yet again. I like to incorporate everything as I go. Once then chicken is cool, pull it and put in a pile on a cutting board, get all that you can of the white meat. If you like, you can add some dark but I don't. Once piled up, rough chop it and add to the bowl. At this point you want to add the mayo and begin stirring. Maybe start with 1/3 cup and increase from there, I guess I have real close to 1/2 cup in there for my tastes. Add a little salt and pepper to taste and chill overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RAD

Re: Smoked Chicken Salad
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
Thanks for posting. BM'ed and printed.
Love to cook and eat

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
Bookmarked again.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »
Gonna do this one real soon. Thanks for sharing  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:58:43 PM »
I hope y'all enjoy it. For those that have stumbled upon this recipe before seeing the post where I made it, take a gander at its creation HERE
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »
Great looking recipe and final product, I did one similar last year for the wife's quilt guild with a smoked turkey I had vac sealed and frozen for a backup meal.