Author Topic: Fantasy Football draft party- 2016  (Read 10793 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Fantasy Football draft party- 2016
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
2nd annual draft party hosted at my house this year.  Last year was a huge success everyone wanted to do it again.  Brisket remained on the menu but after seeing Biggs porchetta, I tried to give it a go with pork belly.  It was good for a first attempt but it the leaving the skin on was a mistake in my opinion.  This year I also brewed a batch of beer and have a friend that does graphic design come up with a special label.  That was a hit so going forward we will continue the beer making and allow the winner the choice of beer style.

At 5am I started slowly building a fire to get a solid good base of coals using cowboy lump them transitioning to maple and a chunk of cherry.  6am the brisket hit the pit For the first 4 hours The temps held good between 225-235F, then I upped it to 250F.  The temperatures held between 240 and 255F throughout the rest of the cook until the last hour, when I boosted it to 300 because the flat was not coming to temperature as I would have hoped.  After 9 hours (3pm)the point was at 197 and was probing like butter but the flat was still 160 and tough. I split the point and flat, and wrapped both in butcher paper.  The point I wrapped in a towel and put it in the oven (off) to rest and the flat went back to the pit.  At 330pm  the pork belly was at 195F so I pulled that and let it rest in the oven with the point.  The chicken (2 halves) I had went on at 2pm and I kept it moist with cider vinegar squirt bottle.  Half had my BBQ rub the other had a Brazilian rub I got in a food of the month club.  The flat was pulled at 197 and was pretty tender, but could have stayed on longer but I need to start getting ready.  None of my friends really cared they enjoyed everything.

Brisket was 14.5# and once trimmed I let it sit in the fridge with salt, pepper, and garlic powder for 36 hours. 

The pork belly was about 5.5#.  I seasoned with with salt, pepper, lemon(1) and orange(1) zest, crushed fennel seeds, herbs de Provence, chili powder, and some coriander powder.  Needed slightly more of everything but still brought good flavor.

Fridge Thursday night, getting ready for Saturday Morning.

6am Saturday morning

8am

9am Added the pork belly

Food spread, including baked beans, apple slaw:
Pork, point, Flat

Pork, I took the skin off after slicing 3 because I was having trouble.

Brisket Close up (flat):

Chicken (L Brazilian, R BBQ)

Sides, Apple Slaw, Baked Beans, homemade pickles

Amber Ale, with the team that won last year's name and last season's league standings.  My team is Steel Curtain, and we lost in the champship game:

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Fantasy Football draft party- 2016
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »
Wow, what a feast. 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »
Looks great!

I could go for one of those beers too!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:36:33 PM »
WOW what a spread. Nice!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:59:16 PM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle