Author Topic: Is it really necessary to take apart a new Weber Genesis to check for gas leaks?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Subvet

Is it really necessary to take apart a new Weber Genesis to check for gas leaks?
« Reply #-1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »
Lowes assembled and delivered my new Weber Genesis yesterday. The manual says to check for gas leaks before using. That involves taking the thing almost apart.  :) I've not owned a gas grill before. Is this step really necessary? It looks to have been assembled very well.

Thanks
Ron
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Just check for gas leaks if you smell or hear gas leaking. You can use some soapy water on the fittings/hoses and watch for bubbles if you are concerned.

Propane is heavier than air and will gather on the ground. Natural gas is lighter than air and it will rise.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokerjunky

I was told by someone in the industry that a quick squirt of window cleaner (the blue kind not to give any props to brands that don't advertise here  ;)) works well. I used this method to check for leaks after I piped in a natural gas hanging deck heater.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Tailgating is my game

As Reagan said Trust but verify ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Just check for gas leaks if you smell or hear gas leaking. You can use some soapy water on the fittings/hoses and watch for bubbles if you are concerned.

Propane is heavier than air and will gather on the ground. Natural gas is lighter than air and it will rise.

Listen to muebe ....he works for the gas company...and he is a "gassy" guy... :D :D :D

I was told by someone in the industry that a quick squirt of window cleaner (the blue kind not to give any props to brands that don't advertise here  ;)) works well. I used this method to check for leaks after I piped in a natural gas hanging deck heater.

It's o.k. to mention brands. We are here to help one another as our 1st priority. But - than yo for the considering the issue. Much appreciated!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

Thanks for the replies. If muebe works for the gas company then his post gives me confidence. Took my tank to be filled and the manager said basically the same thing. Going to fire her up for the first time today. If you see a comet streaking across the sky you will know there was a big leak.  ;D
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill