Author Topic: Butt, Brisket and Beans....Oh My!  (Read 21868 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Butt, Brisket and Beans....Oh My!
« Reply #-1 on: October 03, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
I was planning on loading the KBQ up, as mentioned in another post, with a brisket, pork butt, whole chicken, rack of baby backs and a pan of beans. As it turned out, I didn't do the chicken or baby backs but did do the rest. I had good results. I ran the KBQ hotter than I normally do. Due to this, the butt (which I cut in half to match the cooking time of the brisket) finished in about 8 hours and the brisket finished in 8.5 hours. I did rotate the brisket once and the butt once. Not changing shelf position but rather turned 180° as the front of the KBQ seems to cook hotter than the back.

I don't think I have any plated pics or pics of the beans but I do have some of the meat (which is all that matters anyway, lol)

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Butt, Brisket and Beans....Oh My!
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
Excellent looking butts and brisket  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  That bark and smoke ring look divine ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »
Excellent looking butts and brisket  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  That bark and smoke ring look divine ...
The KBQ does a fine job of making meat look purty ;) Good thing it also makes it tasty too!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
Beautiful looking meats with the pork having a nice bark and a very juicy brisket.

How often did you need to tend the unit during the 8 hours?
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
Wow - that all looks fantastic.  I just ate lunch and now I am hungry again.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »
Beautiful!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:06:55 PM »
That looks fantastic Jason.  How would you say the flavor, texture and moisture is compared to what you did on the keg?
On a scale of one to ten where would you rate butt on the keg & kbq, same question for brisket
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
Beautiful looking meats with the pork having a nice bark and a very juicy brisket.

How often did you need to tend the unit during the 8 hours?

Well, that's the part of cooking on the KBQ that will detract most from buying one. I tend it about every 45 minutes. I can go longer, maybe a little over an hour but I'd rather not let the coal bed get too low so I tend to "over tend" and add wood every 45 minutes, sometimes sooner if I am around it anyway or going to take a pee :)

That looks fantastic Jason.  How would you say the flavor, texture and moisture is compared to what you did on the keg?
On a scale of one to ten where would you rate butt on the keg & kbq, same question for brisket

Bob, I'll start by saying that I love my kegs. All of them! I've made MANY great meals on them and more still to come. With that said. There IS no comparison. Being as honest as I can here. You can see how juicy that meat is just from the picture and it IS that juicy. I probed those little butts at 160° and juice SHOT out at me! This thing keeps food very moist. Texture wise I'd say it's better as well but the flavor is the big winner here. It tastes, for lack of a better word, more "woodsy" than food cooked on the Keg, Traeger, SI or any other thing I've ever cooked on. It's not just different that it's a stick burner because it tastes different than things I've had off of a stick burner too. It's the type of smoke that it produces. Unlike any cooker I've ever had and whenever I have the time, it will be what I use for low and slow. If I need to do an overnighter, I'll use the Kegs or the SI, otherwise the KBQ will be the ONLY thing I'll use from now on.

Scale wise, 1-10 I would give the Kegged butts a strong 6.5 to 7.0 and Kegged briskets a 6.0 even

KBQ brisket (although still not Franklin BBQ brisket) I would give an 8.5 (I think a prime would give me 9 or better) and this was the first butt done on the KBQ and I feel it was one of the best if not THE best one I've made. I give it at least an 8.5 to 9, I don't feel I could've made a better one.

Bottom line, get you one, save the Keg for everything else, use the KBQ for BBQ. You'll not be disappointed!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:46:58 PM by RG »

Offline Subvet

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »
That juice is just oozing with flavor.  :thumbup:
How long do you let butts and brisket rest in the butcher paper?
Are the little holes in the paper where you probed it or to let some steam out?
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
That juice is just oozing with flavor.  :thumbup:
How long do you let butts and brisket rest in the butcher paper?
Are the little holes in the paper where you probed it or to let some steam out?

I only wrapped the brisket in butcher's paper once it got the color I wanted and those holes were where I probed it and checked temps. When they were done, I wrapped in foil and let them rest for about an hour, maybe hour and a half.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 03:17:58 AM »
Looks really good.  What did you run the KBQ at?
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 04:03:34 AM »
Fantastic!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:02:52 AM »
Looks really good.  What did you run the KBQ at?

Ooops! I meant to put that in there, lol. I ran her at around 250°. I normally cook in the 225° to 235° range. I will say that after all these years cooking that I have never cut a butt in half and now that I have, I will do it again! It greatly reduced the cook time and there was no loss in quality. It rendered a lot of the fat out, I was worried about that. I have done whole butts in the past and had cooked them hotter than my normal 225° and they had a lot of rubbery fat/connective tissue still in it. It didn't have time to get all soft and collageny (yeah, I turned the noun collagen into an adjective). This butt was nice and collageny (sticky) and moist like it needs to be. The piece that didn't have the bone in it was so jiggly that I thought it was made of jello, crazy tender! I guess I learned something new which is always fun and proof that you never know it all!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Nice cook!  Need my addy? ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 09:50:54 AM »
Nice cook!  Need my addy? ;) ;) ;)

I vac sealed the leftovers yesterday, all except the beans which I'll do at some point today along with the pepperoni I made. I could put together a care package with various treasures from the freezer and put it on dry ice for ya ;)