Author Topic: Thinking of making the jump to Sous Vide  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Savannahsmoker

Thinking of making the jump to Sous Vide
« Reply #-1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
Based on all the great Sous Vide cooks I have seen by members I am thinking of take the leap.

Looking at this one for a start but I do want recommendations from all PLEASE.
ChefSteps CS10001 Joule Sous Vide

PS. not to sure would like not having manual controls on the unit.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline hikerman

Re: Thinking of making the jump to Sous Vide
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
Art first I think you will really enjoy this way of cooking.
As for which unit. There are a lot of new manufacturers of these devices. I really don't know much about any other brand than what I presently have, Anova. I'm happy with my unit, it is a pre-bluetooth model. But it is set and forget!  Some very tender meat is in your future buddy!
Good luck!

Offline Pappymn

Thinking of making the jump to Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:12:05 PM »
Chef steps and joule seem to be a group we should support. The videos they do are excellent.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:23:53 PM »
I can't over stress this: We have a sponsor here - that makes the most practical of all current Sous Vide units. Why would I say that?

Because I will bet that ALL of us have at least 1 - or more basic, knob operated crock pots and or - large roasters.
THESE take on a new life as fully insulated Sous Vide machines!

The DSV by Dork Food is also LESS EXPENSIVE than any other Sous Vide device on the market. Is it as "elegant" in it's design? - No, not form a runway model view point. But, it WORKS - and the beauty in it for me is it's simplicity, it's NO moving parts in the water, it's extremely tight temp. control ( .2 degree F ) AND it can control any device with a rheostatic control knob...

What else would one want? A pretty sick that stands up in a - now additional tank of water that you have to buy and store? If you already own a crock pot - and an electric roaster - this is a no brainer to me.

But..it is only my opinion. And - I am not trying to de-value anyone else's here. Just really puzzled that the DSV has not become the "go-to" unit for everyone. I own 3 Sous Vide devices, including 1 that is Wi-Fi accessible....

I still default to the DSV everytime. Simple. Versatile. Excellent temp. control. and...CHEAP! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »
Art that Chef Steps unit is really nice but I am not sure about the high price they were asking for it.

The DSV is a great option to get into the SV cooking world and not break the bank. Or if you catch the Anova on sale it is a great unit.

I have both the DSV and the Anova. They both work equally well. I tend to use my Anova more because I have a large Cambro container I modified my Anova to fit in.

The DSV is nice because you can take any old crock pot, rice cooker, or even a deep fryer with analog controls and turn it into a SV vessel.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline AlanZ

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 06:32:55 AM »
I have three Anova units.  Two are the Anova One model, and one is the newest WiFi version.
Excellent units, and I can recommend them easily.

A couple of years back, I did a video that shows how I configured my first to units.  Folks might find it useful. 

Note that the WiFi model changed the clamp design, making it easier to attach to a wider variety of containers.

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron pellet cooker
PK360 grill/smoker
#7 Kamado (circa 1999)
Ducane gas grill (circa 1997)
Uuni 2S pizza oven
PizzaQue pizza oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:59:23 AM »
What else would one want? A pretty sick that stands up in a - now additional tank of water that you have to buy and store? If you already own a crock pot - and an electric roaster - this is a no brainer to me.
"What else would I want?"  I want the ability to look at and analyze the functionality of all products in the arena I am interested in and hear the recommendations of members based on their experiences.

Than make up my own mind on what to purchase, be it a sponsored product or not that what I want.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Perhaps another way to look at the decision Art is:

Am I one that want to spend more money...because I love to "gadget" with stuff?" It is a valid consideration. Many of us love to tinker, make, modify, and it is part of the fun of cooking for many. Others - just want to plug it in, and use it.

Therein may lie the only long term measurable difference in SV units. Sure, some have a WOW! or COOL! factor in appearance - or features...but because we are talking about a super-low-and-slow method, (which is so forgiving in that it is hard to over-cook mammal proteins...) I personally have found that the convenience of using devices I already own - as cooking vessels ( crock pots, roasters, fryer...) rather than purchase another cambro, or comparable insulated vessel - or a polycarbonate/temp resistant vessel, then cut, carve, insulate....i.e. - more time and more money.

But I do understand the fun that is generated from "modifying". We have all done this to various cooking tools we own. ;) ;D

My reference to a "sponsored product" is not meant to make anyone feel pressured to lean in that direction. It is purely that I see many of us ( self included) will often overlook an item that offers same or better performance - if it is not advertised well, or more visibly as on Amazon, or written up and used by ..." ::) Chefs ;D?"
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »
Art that Chef Steps unit is really nice but I am not sure about the high price they were asking for it.

The DSV is a great option to get into the SV cooking world and not break the bank. Or if you catch the Anova on sale it is a great unit.

I have both the DSV and the Anova. They both work equally well. I tend to use my Anova more because I have a large Cambro container I modified my Anova to fit in.

The DSV is nice because you can take any old crock pot, rice cooker, or even a deep fryer with analog controls and turn it into a SV vessel.
What caught my eye about the  Joule Sous Vide is the small size to fit in any drawer and the 1100 Watts.
Thanks for pointing out differences in the two types you have and both would work becasue like most I have a crock pot, rice cooker and many Cambros.  My concern with the DSV is it does not circulate the water but I do not know if that is a factor to be concerned about  or not what do y'all think?
Art

The Big Easy

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
From my experience...and comparing both types...I can tell you that it makes no discdrnable difference. The prin ie of convection insures that you will get even heat distribution. I realize that goes against what many want to believe. But it is an age old princie that works. It requires zero additional submerged moving parts. I have cooked many odd sized items...some ofthem I would rotate part of the way thru the cook...and zome I have not. No differen e in the outcome as long as the item is well submerged.
The advantage of the crock pots in thisrespect is WHERE the heat radiates ffom. Underneath. Heat rises.
Simple works.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:54:24 AM »
Art, I owned the DSV and it is a great unit. I sold mine to a member of this board when I bought the Sous Vide Supreme Demi. The Demi does not circulate the water and the DSV did not either. I had no problems with the lack of circulation. I believe that Muebe uses a fish tank fan or something like that to add circulation. I also own the Bluetooth enable Anova. It is another great unit. The Anova does circulate the water. And to be honest I haven't noticed a difference between the circulating and non-circulating ones. The food still gets cooked and at stable temps and that's what is important to me.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
Using a bathtub for an example. You get in and fill the tub with hot water. It will be hotter at your feet than behind your butt so you circulate it with your hands to even out the temp.
If you use a larger rectangle box then you would need a circulator. If like me you use a crockpot, then a circulator isn't necessary. I got mine up to temp and then checked the water temp all around and they were about equal. I have a small rack in the crockpot that I put the meat on to eliminate any hot spots. Another thing is how large are the cuts of meat you will be doing.
If you are doing family size then you probably need the larger pot and the circulator. My 2cents.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
Cant go wrong with any of them.   I have had the Anova One for over 2 years and have  used it a lot.  Both for cooking and reheating food, its never let me down, easy to operate and reliable.  Its pre WiFi  so it doesn't link to the Anova app but  you can  download the app for  good selection of recipes.

About 2 months ago I got a Joule (after a 10 or 11 month wait)   I haven't had much time to use it  yet but  so far  has worked great.  The app for it has great pics and videos to show you how  something should look when its cooked at different temps etc...  So far they don't have a lot of different recipes on the app but they have been adding them steadily. 
  It is very compact and  the magnet on the bottom is cool if you are using in a steel pot.   
 I typically use one of 2 coolers  for my sous vide cooks and the clamp doesn't fit them. So unless whatever im cooking will fit in my 8qt pot I am still using my Anova.   They are supposed to be coming out with some different sized clamps in the near future.

If price is a major factor I have seen the Anova's pretty heavily discounted this holiday season, and I think you can use them w/o a smart phone.
The Joule however is way more compact and I will probably us it more when I want to use away from home,  but you have to have a smart phone AND be signed onto  WiFi I believe .

Check out both companies apps as you can use them for reference and recipes even if not using with a circulator

Im sure you have checked out out  already  but ChefSteps.com  has some awesome  sous vide videos as mentioned above and also has a sort of  "class" for learning sous vide techniques.

Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »
Thanks all for your ideas and recommendations.

I do like the idea of pulling a pot off the overhead rack and going from there.  Our crackpots, rice cookers are stored in a pantry and not very convenient so the DSV by Dork Food is out. 

I do like the small size and 1100 watts power of the ChefSteps Joule but a lack of temp readout and adjustment concerns me.
It does have the best phone app of any so far.

Now the Anova has a temp read out and adjustment along with B/T and Wi-Fi but its huge and not drawer storage friend along with its power of only 800 watts.

So, for now, I am going to follow what ClimberDave suggested and watch the review videos.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for he help with ideas and recommendations.

I purchased the ChefSteps Joule mainly because of it's small fit in a silver ware drawer size, 1100 watts of power and ability to heat 10 gallons which I guess could be an over kill.  I would like to have the temp and adjustment on the Joule but than it would be much larger and in our case smaller was more important.
The Joule phone app is a step by step cooking procedures and surprisingly Sweetie likes the concept :o.

Again thanks all
Art

The Big Easy