Author Topic: Char Broil Kamander Charcoal Grill  (Read 9295 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Char Broil Kamander Charcoal Grill
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »
Also using lump would help with low ash production if the vents are too close to the bottom............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
Isn't that ash pan at the bottom designed to prevent that? Looks like it has openings for air on the sides of the pan but it shouldn't mess with the intake unless it isn't emptied after each cook and falls over the sides.
Thinking the same thing Mike but of course not sure until it is seen.

Also using lump would help with low ash production if the vents are too close to the bottom............
Agree with the lump thought but for a slow long cook briquettes burn cooler and more consistent but with more ash.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline abcbarbecue

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
I'm just guessing, but I bet that bottom piece that redirects the airflow to the intake vent in the table either comes off for periodic cleanup or has a door or something you can open to clean it out.

If it doesn't then that's a design failure on their part.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »
The ash pan comes out from the top not the bottom on this model. Any small bit of ash that gets by the pan just gets swept into
the removable screw cup on the bottom. Also useful if water accidentally gets inside. The air exhaust is on the side by the screw cup so no ash should get in there.

The porcelain grill has a cutout to add more charcoal easily. I'll probably be selling my Akorn to buy this one.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures and I now see how the air flows into the ash pan under the charcoal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:47:51 AM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 11:53:42 PM »
This is looking to be quite superior to the Akorn...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
I agree and here a picture of the bottom drain or what ever Char Broil.
Thinking this has the potential to leak in air.
Also this might be an ideal place to install the fan for my Rock's Stoker or an BBQ Grue and others.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:17:44 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
I agree and here a picture of the bottom drain or what ever Char Broil.
Thinking this has the potential to leak in air.
Also this might be an ideal place to install the fan for my Rock's Stoker or an BBQ Guru and others.
Oops forget to post the picture
Art

The Big Easy

Offline bdejong11129

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
Since there are not a lot of reviews or information about this grill yet I thought I would post my first impressions and my thoughts after using this grill.

For the benefit of everyone I would recommend to steer clear of this one! The single major flaw is the intake and the plastic tube that connects to it. The fit of these plastic parts was so poor on mine that it leaked enough air to never allow for control of the temperatures. Even fully closed the temps would continue to rise out of control.

I ended up having to seal it with high temp sealer. It was night and day how much control I then had. However, if I want to grill some steaks and get the grill to searing temperatures I would be very concerned about how the plastic would hold up. When I stoked it up to search off some steaks the bottom of the grill was very hot where the plastic vent pipe connects to the bottom of the grill.  I ended up using my trusty Weber kettle grill the next night.

I contacted CharBroil but their customer support was the worst. The person even argued with me over the serial number. I read it exactly as it was on the label and she told me that was not a serial number.  I had to send a picture of it to them!

Bottom line, learn from me and save the 300.00.

I think with the other options that are available this one is not worth the price or the time. 

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the time
"Bottom line, learn from me and save the 300.00. "

Thanks and I pass on this CharBoil.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline jayhendricks

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
I've had the Kamander for a few months but just had the chance to try it out over July 4th holiday.

I had two boston butts and decided to pick up some ribs for a tasty mid-smoke treat. and I had never done ribs before, so It was more of an experiment.

I started the charcoal and a few logs around 630a, once the fire got going and i closed it, I quickly realized my first mistake. WAY TOO MUCH Charcoal. I was used to using a trailer grill/smoker and piling up the wood/charcoal, and man was that a mistake. It was at 550 degrees, so I emptied it all and let it cool down, got the grill down to about 175 and then put on about 5 coals, and two chunks of hickory, got the heat back up to 275 consistently and then put the meat on.

Over the course of the day I added a couple of coals here or there, but mostly just wood chunks.
Attached picture is with the drip pan still in there, however, I took it out about halfway through - just to be able to get the coal/chunks in easier. Once it was gone, it make it much easier. I'm not knowledgeable enough of how it might have affected the cook time/smoke/flavor though. However, I don't know that it's a good expectation to smoke (and be able to add wood) while keeping the drip pan on there.

Put the butts and ribs on around 830a - 1030a ribs came off and wrapped in foil, then back on, then unwrapped and back on around 1130. at 1230 the ribs came off and were very tender. Next time I'd leave them on about 30 min longer i believe.

I barely adjusted the top damper, past 1.5-2, and kept the bottom damper about the same if not lower. It pulled smoke really well.
Was easy to stay at 250-275 pretty much the whole time - except when I got fidgety and wanted to sneak a peak of course.

The butts stalled out around 150 at 130p for about an hour. I needed them off in 3 hours so I got the heat up to about 290-300 for the last few hours, pulled them off and wrapped them around 5 when they hit 197, and pulled them even though I wanted to get them up to 205 if I could.

Meat was tender - bone slipped right out. I wish I could have gotten the heat up a little longer - but I wasn't disappointed at all. Had plenty of pork for the party, and have been eating on it for a week! I think if I hadn't have had the mishap with the grill getting too hot and losing an hour and a half of cook time - I'd have no regrets.

I'm looking forward to the next one, it's as easy as it gets.
And now that i have done ribs, I can feel comfortable with that option as well!

[attachment removed after 6 months]

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
I've had the Kamander for a few months but just had the chance to try it out over July 4th holiday.

I had two boston butts and decided to pick up some ribs for a tasty mid-smoke treat. and I had never done ribs before, so It was more of an experiment.

I started the charcoal and a few logs around 630a, once the fire got going and i closed it, I quickly realized my first mistake. WAY TOO MUCH Charcoal. I was used to using a trailer grill/smoker and piling up the wood/charcoal, and man was that a mistake. It was at 550 degrees, so I emptied it all and let it cool down, got the grill down to about 175 and then put on about 5 coals, and two chunks of hickory, got the heat back up to 275 consistently and then put the meat on.

Over the course of the day I added a couple of coals here or there, but mostly just wood chunks.
Attached picture is with the drip pan still in there, however, I took it out about halfway through - just to be able to get the coal/chunks in easier. Once it was gone, it make it much easier. I'm not knowledgeable enough of how it might have affected the cook time/smoke/flavor though. However, I don't know that it's a good expectation to smoke (and be able to add wood) while keeping the drip pan on there.

Put the butts and ribs on around 830a - 1030a ribs came off and wrapped in foil, then back on, then unwrapped and back on around 1130. at 1230 the ribs came off and were very tender. Next time I'd leave them on about 30 min longer i believe.

I barely adjusted the top damper, past 1.5-2, and kept the bottom damper about the same if not lower. It pulled smoke really well.
Was easy to stay at 250-275 pretty much the whole time - except when I got fidgety and wanted to sneak a peak of course.

The butts stalled out around 150 at 130p for about an hour. I needed them off in 3 hours so I got the heat up to about 290-300 for the last few hours, pulled them off and wrapped them around 5 when they hit 197, and pulled them even though I wanted to get them up to 205 if I could.

Meat was tender - bone slipped right out. I wish I could have gotten the heat up a little longer - but I wasn't disappointed at all. Had plenty of pork for the party, and have been eating on it for a week! I think if I hadn't have had the mishap with the grill getting too hot and losing an hour and a half of cook time - I'd have no regrets.

I'm looking forward to the next one, it's as easy as it gets.
And now that i have done ribs, I can feel comfortable with that option as well!
Glad it woprked out for you :thumbup:

I know others are having issues with this unit.   Was looking into getting one but will wait a little longer

Really looking forward to your next post ;)    OBTW,  food looks guuuuuuud!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
Nicely Done!  Have you tried any high heat cooks on it?  Just curious..
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL