FORUM SPONSORS > UMAi Dry

How do you make summer sausage?

(1/2) > >>

DryageGuru:
Have you made summer sausage before?
What size casings do you prefer to use for summer sausage?
Do you ferment the sausage before smoking/cooking?
Do you use premixed blends with citric acid in them?
Here is our little adventure into summer sausage making:

teesquare:
Both ACW3 and I have a LOT of Elk that we have been talking about turning into sausage. After watching this video - I will be ordering from Umai today so the I can make some Summer sausage and a few other types too!

Thanks for this video - it helped me understand the process better.

T

Roget:
I've never made summer sausage & was happy to see this video.
It's on my to do list.

Roget:
On a "kind of" related subject,
can someone tell me what size plate is used to grind most 'store bought" ground beef?

teesquare:

--- Quote from: Roget on July 26, 2017, 10:55:07 AM ---On a "kind of" related subject,
can someone tell me what size plate is used to grind most 'store bought" ground beef?

--- End quote ---

Roget- not sure...Rick probably knows tho. My gut says it likely depends on each store. I usually do not buy ground beef. I will buy whole muscle cut such as top round, or sirloin, and grind it myself. Lower in fat and that way I KNOW what is in it ;) ;D.

It is easy to add healthier fats such as cubed up butter that I put int he freezer for a while before the grind. Or you can use some good quality cooking oils such as avocado, coconut, etc...Ut I chill them all first - to help keep things cold. As well - I place the grinder parts in the freezer that will contact meat for several hours before I want grind. All of this helps to produce a safer, cleaner grind and one that you have more control over as far as meat particle size, amount and kind of fats are in the meat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version