Author Topic: Brisket in SV  (Read 4697 times)

Offline zueth

Brisket in SV
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
Has anyone done a Brisket in the SV?  I was thinking of smoking the brisket for 6 hours at 225, then vacuum packing and moving to SV to finish it off. 

Thoughts?

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Brisket in SV
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »
zueth, I have done several briskets the way you propose. My last attempt, I smoked a 17 pound packer on the pellet pooper at 170 degrees for about 3 hours. I vacuum sealed it (double bagged and double sealed) and put it in the 10 gallon hot tub at 140 degrees for 60 hours. Then, dried it off, seared it on the gasser with help from a propane torch until it had a good sear. It turned out to be the best brisket I have done. It was melt-in-your-mouth tender, very juicy and moist, and had just the right amount of smokey brisket flavor. It takes a lot of time, but it really paid off and I will continue to enjoy great brisket done this way.

By the way, if you decide to SV a brisket, pork butt, or anything that is big and needs a long time in the bath, be sure to double bag it and vacuum seal both bags. I had a water breach on a rather large prime rib roast because my sealer strip had gotten grease on it and it didn't seal properly. The bag lost its vacuum and water got inside so the roast just cooked in water. It was still edible, but didn't have that great smokey taste it needed. Better safe than sorry.

There is a video on youtube by "Sous Vide Everything" that features this method and this is the method I follow.

Offline zueth

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
Thanks, exactly what I needed.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
I've done it using Kenji's seriouseats.com method and liked it - came out tender, tasty, and juicy with great smoke flavor and excellent bark.

He sous vides first and smokes/finishes on the grill. The main advantage is that you can cook and freeze the brisket in advance, finish it at a later date in only a few hours, and still get the smoke flavor and bark you want.

Essentially that means that when IR2dum and I show up at your house unannounced in the afternoon you can be serving us great brisket for dinner. We'll be grateful.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:47:10 AM »
Turtle, I've just checked out Kenji's method and have decided that I like it. Much more versatile and not quite as long a cook. I especially like that you put the rub on twice for a greater bark. Going to try it that way next week.

What time should I pick you up to head over to zueth's house for dinner?

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
That looks great.  One question though.  I have heard about the dangers of leaving meat in the "danger zone" for too long when cooking.  How is it safe to leave it at 140 degrees for 60+ hours?  I only keep meat for 3 days after it is cooked. 

I learn so much from this site. 
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline zueth

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
I've done it using Kenji's seriouseats.com method and liked it - came out tender, tasty, and juicy with great smoke flavor and excellent bark.

He sous vides first and smokes/finishes on the grill. The main advantage is that you can cook and freeze the brisket in advance, finish it at a later date in only a few hours, and still get the smoke flavor and bark you want.

Essentially that means that when IR2dum and I show up at your house unannounced in the afternoon you can be serving us great brisket for dinner. We'll be grateful.

Thanks, i had read that article before i posted here and was curious about that method.  A couple of questions:

1) Did you cut Brisket in half?
2) Did you cook in SV for 36 hours @ 155
3) I don't have a pellet grill/smoker, would I be okay finishing in a Bradley at 220 for 3-4 hours?

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:10:50 PM »
How is it safe to leave it at 140 degrees for 60+ hours?
Essentially you're slowly pasteurizing at those temps. Google "sous vide safety" for a bunch of explanations on how it all works.

1) Did you cut Brisket in half?
2) Did you cook in SV for 36 hours @ 155
3) I don't have a pellet grill/smoker, would I be okay finishing in a Bradley at 220 for 3-4 hours?
1. I generally separate into flat and point. It depends on how big your sous vide container and bags are.

2. I usually go somewhere between 24 and 30 hours.

3. For finishing outside I've always used my Weber kettle with a minion burn or S&S and some wood chunks or the Amaze-n-smoker. Never tried it with the Bradley (but not for any particular reason other than I didn't think of it).

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 01:11:01 AM »
I do SV at 135 for 36 - 48 hours. Chill completely then smoke at lowest temperature. My KBQ can hold 160 degrees.

Tender steak like texture. I have a picture somewhere
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline DWard51

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
I do SV at 135 for 36 - 48 hours. Chill completely then smoke at lowest temperature. My KBQ can hold 160 degrees.

So you could sous vide ahead of time, and refrigerate/freeze and finish on the smoker later to serve?  Correct?

I'm thinking this would be great now that it's the wife and I after the kids have moved on.  I can sous vide a brisket into smaller cuts and then just freeze in the bag "as is" when done.  Thaw and finish on the smoker as we want to eat it.  I would think this would work better than normal cook and then vac bagging the leftovers to reheat later. 

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »
So you could sous vide ahead of time, and refrigerate/freeze and finish on the smoker later to serve?  Correct?

Uh, yeah. You can also do the same thing with ribs - I usually keep a few vacuum-packed half racks in the freezer (already cooked sous vide) for just such occasions.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »
That is a great idea for ribs Turtle....If you have space. ;) I like that one!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline zueth

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »

Do you prefer this to a Brisket that is done in the smoker the whole time or just different?

Offline zueth

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »

How long do you smoke for? 3-4 hours?

Offline zueth

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »

Uh, yeah. You can also do the same thing with ribs - I usually keep a few vacuum-packed half racks in the freezer (already cooked sous vide) for just such occasions.

I really like this idea, how long do you cook in smoker?