Author Topic: Need a meat slicer  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Pappymn

Need a meat slicer
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
After having a cheap ass Rival slicer and an off brand 10" slicer, this is my stock advice to those asking for information on slicers.
If you are serious about having the proper equipment for slicing, take you time, don't get in a hurry, and watch craigslist for commercial slicers like Hobart, Berkel. There are others but these usually are the main brands. Look for at least a 12" blade and cast aluminum or stainless steel construction. In my case, when I had the 10" off brand, I almost threw the thing out the back door, getting frustrated with the ragged slicing and unable to slice a full with piece of bacon. It took me about 2 months to locate one, but I did, a Hobart 1612 in very good shape with the factory sharpening attachment for $150 bucks drive out. Couple of days of cleanup and readjustments, I had the slicer I wanted and it still works like a champ.
Watch local auction companies. Lot of restaurants and grocery stores go out of business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Need a meat slicer
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
After having a cheap ass Rival slicer and an off brand 10" slicer, this is my stock advice to those asking for information on slicers.
If you are serious about having the proper equipment for slicing, take you time, don't get in a hurry, and watch craigslist for commercial slicers like Hobart, Berkel. There are others but these usually are the main brands. Look for at least a 12" blade and cast aluminum or stainless steel construction. In my case, when I had the 10" off brand, I almost threw the thing out the back door, getting frustrated with the ragged slicing and unable to slice a full with piece of bacon. It took me about 2 months to locate one, but I did, a Hobart 1612 in very good shape with the factory sharpening attachment for $150 bucks drive out. Couple of days of cleanup and readjustments, I had the slicer I wanted and it still works like a champ.
YES....Rex and Tenthunter are exactly right. If you can be a little patient...you will be MUCH happier. I too bought an old Hobart 12" off Craigslist and spent some time cleaning it up - but I doubt I will ever need another sliver. It is a monster..... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401