Author Topic: Building a wood fired pizza oven  (Read 21237 times)

Offline pz

Re: Building a wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
pz - I really like the ways you are thinking of building fires in your backyard...  ;D It sounds like a wonderful gathering place! I can't wait to see pictures and hear the stories as you build them and entertain.

Thanks David; I don't have great pics of the fire ring, but here are a couple from another post (New Years Eve) as we were waiting for the fireworks to start. The pit is a short stroll across the lawn from the patio.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »
Very nice, pz. Bet New Years is a great time.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »
I've been in my place now for over 25 years.  When I first purchased the place, I could not afford the electricity to heat the home, so I had to use the  fireplace insert for heat, and hang sheets and blankets over the entrances to rooms that were not essential.  Hard times, those, but I wanted to invest in our futures, so I intentionally sacrificed goodies and toys for the next 20 years just to have the privilege of owning a home I would like to retire in. (My dad always told me that the best investment is to purchase the cheapest home in the best neighborhood.)

In past years for New Years eve, I've been in many party places such as Times Square, Mission Bay in San Diego, and Las Vegas - all full of glitz, glamor, crowds, and excitement.

Now for New Year's eve I like nothing more than to stand by my fire pit in the almost eerie silence that one experiences in areas of heavy snow, hearing faint sounds of merriment in the distance while enjoying the heat and crackle of the fire.  It almost makes me feel like I'm the last person on the planet... yet not.  As I stand by the fire, images of the celebratory chaos occurring in the aforementioned centers of festivities flash through my mind and I draw my coat tighter, feeling completely content - an almost indescribable sensation of perfection.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »
pz,  You sound like a man after mine and many others here hearts.  Wish you could join us at the end of next month.  One of the things we do is on Saturday night is have a big camp fire and just sit around it and stare at the flames and have many  non-goal directed conversations---which some  have referred to as BS sessions.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline pz

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »
I'd like nothing better, Dee; It would be an honor and a pleasure to meet you folks for some Q and socializing around the campfire.

...one of these days...

Offline pz

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »
sorry i jump in so late did no see this before . it looks like a great build , after you do the pizza , the meat, and the bread . as it gets cooler you can put in the pizza oven a tray with 1/2 tomatoes sprinkle olive oil and oregano and let it stand over night. in the morning you will have the best dry tomatoes ever .

africanmeat, I used your idea after our pizza party yesterday - loaded a dish with relatively bland Costco Roma tomatoes and one of our green heirlooms.  Put the dish into the oven when we went to bed and closed the door - in the morning I went out to see how it worked and brought the results into the kitchen where my wife was waiting.  She popped one into her mouth and uttered:

"OMG THOSE ARE DELICIOUS!!!!"

The only difference is that I used dried basil instead of oregano (the tomato you see missing is the one she sampled  ;D

I have to admit that those oven dried tomatoes are among the best I have ever eaten - thanks much for posting the tip.

Her comment at the end was that the next time we fire the oven, we're going to load it with tomatoes before we go to bed

She's correct though - these oven dried tomatoes will make fantastic pizzas

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 06:45:29 AM »
sorry i jump in so late did no see this before . it looks like a great build , after you do the pizza , the meat, and the bread . as it gets cooler you can put in the pizza oven a tray with 1/2 tomatoes sprinkle olive oil and oregano and let it stand over night. in the morning you will have the best dry tomatoes ever .

africanmeat, I used your idea after our pizza party yesterday - loaded a dish with relatively bland Costco Roma tomatoes and one of our green heirlooms.  Put the dish into the oven when we went to bed and closed the door - in the morning I went out to see how it worked and brought the results into the kitchen where my wife was waiting.  She popped one into her mouth and uttered:

"OMG THOSE ARE DELICIOUS!!!!"

The only difference is that I used dried basil instead of oregano (the tomato you see missing is the one she sampled  ;D

I have to admit that those oven dried tomatoes are among the best I have ever eaten - thanks much for posting the tip.

Her comment at the end was that the next time we fire the oven, we're going to load it with tomatoes before we go to bed

She's correct though - these oven dried tomatoes will make fantastic pizzas

i am so glad you like it .
Another thing we do just before we go to sleep we put raw eggs in the ashes for a good sammis  in the morning .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber