Author Topic: Smoke times for flavor  (Read 16428 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Smoke times for flavor
« Reply #-1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »
I have the 12 inch tube. If you want to impart some cold smoke flavor to say some steaks or cheeseburgers, how long do you think you need to smoke before grilling--2 hours--3 hours?

What has been your favorite smoke flavor for steaks---chicken--etc.?

I still will use my regular smoker for ribs and pork, but this tube hopefully will allow me the opportunity to give some smoke flavor to steaks and burgers without over cooking it.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Smoke times for flavor
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »
Most stuff like steaks only need an hour or two IMHO. Cold smoking for long periods can bring bacteria into question depending on where the temps get.

But they taste best when allowed to rest in the fridge overnight after cold smoking. This allows time for the smoke to make it's way into the meat. If you grill right after that flavor is less mellow and just on the surface.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
Like Muebe, I would be worried about extended time in a cold / cool smokin' environment because of the risk of bacteria, etc.  I don't let meat sit out on the counter for 2 - 3 hours for that reason. 
Try fillin' that tube and then burn it from both ends to generate more dense smoke and cut down the smokin' time.  Then wrap it and into the fridge like he said.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »
I have read and been told there is a " 40-40 rule ".....

With ground meats ( I apply this to chicken too )  Try not to go more than 40 minutes at 40 degrees or above. Have I broken this rule - sure...but I am experimenting on ME and not someone else. ;D Have not gotten sick yet - so I think that the smokey environment adds a bit of safety in that smoke does help create naturally formed nitrates which - serve to preserve meat too.

For steaks - or whole muscle meats, longer seems to be o.k. I have gone up to 2 hours then cooked, but as stated above - the best flavor comes from allowing the meat to rest in the fridge overnite ( or maybe longer..?) to mellow and deepen the smoke flavor.

Let us know what your experiences are - please. :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »

With ground meats ( I apply this to chicken too )  Try not to go more than 40 minutes at 40 degrees or above. Have I broken this rule - sure...but I am experimenting on ME and not someone else. ;D Have not gotten sick yet - so I think that the smokey environment adds a bit of safety in that smoke does help create naturally formed nitrates which - serve to preserve meat too.

For steaks - or whole muscle meats, longer seems to be o.k. I have gone up to 2 hours then cooked, but as stated above - the best flavor comes from allowing the meat to rest in the fridge overnite ( or maybe longer..?) to mellow and deepen the smoke flavor.

everyday I hang out w/ you I am impressed w/ your bbq knowlegde.  you are very smart bbq and food person T.  I did not know any of this information.  i'm so glad i'm part of this forum  we got a a lot of very smart ppl here and it starts w/ T.  ok, just got back from the dentist and all numbed up.  off the computer my wife says.  cya later. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
I totally agree with Sparky tee! During our time together at the Gathering I was very impressed
by your vast knowledge on just about any subject and I learned a lot.  I really started to like
your Mac and am really considering picking one up once I get back to work, whenever the boys
in Washington quit messing with us! ;D
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »

everyday I hang out w/ you I am impressed w/ your bbq knowlegde.  you are very smart bbq and food person T.  I did not know any of this information.  i'm so glad i'm part of this forum  we got a a lot of very smart ppl here and it starts w/ T. ok, just got back from the dentist and all numbed up.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »
Tee's 40 minute rule should be fine for whole cuts such as steaks, but for ground meat PLEASE, be cautious, keep the pit temp as low as possible and limit the time!

In this case there is no added safety from natural nitrates. With wood, combustion temps are needed for Nitrogen Dioxide to form (and subsequently be converted to nitric acid - a form of nitrate).

I will occasionally cold-smoke uncured sausage for about 30 minutes, but ONLY in colder weather when I am sure I can keep the pit temp below 50° F.

Hope this makes sense.

Cliff

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:03:30 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
...Have not gotten sick yet ...
That kinda depends on who you ask.

... I was very impressed by your vast knowledge on just about any subject...
I thought I heard you call it "half vast" knowledge at the gathering.  Might have been someone else though.

Sorry, tee (not really) but the setups were begging to be used.

Oh yeah, If I cold smoke steaks on my Bradley, I find 40-60 minutes to be plenty. After that you can grill immediately or chill overnight for even better results.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
 :-[ <blush>....Thanks but....

You guys give me WAY too much credit.....I just try to remember all of the stuff I learn have learned from hanging up here! ;D

Hint: The FDA site for safe meat handling practices ain't a bad resource either :)...but we - using cold smoke - probably all "bend the rules" on the time recommendations. Just be cautious when feeding others. It is one thing to make yourself sick - and completely another if you put someone else in the hospital!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
...Have not gotten sick yet ...
That kinda depends on who you ask.

... I was very impressed by your vast knowledge on just about any subject...
I thought I heard you call it "half vast" knowledge at the gathering.  Might have been someone else though.

Sorry, tee (not really) but the setups were begging to be used.

Oh yeah, If I cold smoke steaks on my Bradley, I find 40-60 minutes to be plenty. After that you can grill immediately or chill overnight for even better results.

Somehow I knew this thread would be easy fodder to feed your cerebral canon! :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
It is one thing to make yourself sick - and completely another if you put someone else in the hospital!

wait, wait, wait.  ya mean if i get my kids sick more than once, they might move out?   ;)  i'm thinking win, win.  get some cold smoke food and the kids move out.  don't judge me.  i feed them bbq.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
You have a twisted mind, Sparky... not saying you are wrong - I have two teenage daughters that need to move out... just twisted...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
Hey sparky, You've reminded me of another bear chasing story....

Two guys are out hunting in the Alaskan woods. Haven't seen anything for days, when suddenly, they scare up a big ol' grizzly. He starts chasing the hunters. They are running as best they can for a couple hundred yards, when one of the hunters suddenly stops and takes off his boots - swaps them for some running shoes and starts up again. His buddy yells, "You can't out-run a bear in running shoes..." The response - "Nope, but I only gotta' out-run YOU!"
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
Hey sparky, You've reminded me of another bear chasing story....

Two guys are out hunting in the Alaskan woods. Haven't seen anything for days, when suddenly, they scare up a big ol' grizzly. He starts chasing the hunters. They are running as best they can for a couple hundred yards, when one of the hunters suddenly stops and takes off his boots - swaps them for some running shoes and starts up again. His buddy yells, "You can't out-run a bear in running shoes..." The response - "Nope, but I only gotta' out-run YOU!"

that's really funny.  I liked it.   :D

You have a twisted mind, Sparky... not saying you are wrong - I have two teenage daughters that need to move out... just twisted...  ;) ;D

25 and 27.  move out already.  I left my house at 16 and never came back.  these kids have it to easy. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66