Author Topic: Smoke times for flavor  (Read 16432 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Re: Smoke times for flavor
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
I really wanted to find a way to impart a smokey flavor to steaks and burgers when I grill on the RED. That is why I bought the smoke tube. In the past, I had been unsuccessful with cans and things as well as putting chips and pellets on top of the emitters.

The 12 inch smoke tube gives good smoke for 4, but I thought 2 hours might be enough. I wanted to put some smoke flavor on chicken for a tailgate party. I filled the 12" tube half way, lit it, and it got good smoke for 2 hours. I then grilled the chicken. I sauced half the chicken with my usual wing sauce (50-50 butter And Crystal sauce).

The chicken without the sauce had a reasonable smoke taste. The sauced chicken did not, but both did smell of smoke!

I tired this again with a two hour smoke on hamburgers. Although there was a good smoke smell, I was disappointed that there was no smoke taste on the burger---disappointing! The wife thought the beans had a little smoke flavor, but not the burgers.

I understand the concern for bacteria growth, but I have never had any issues, especially when you think you cooking the meat to 145-180 degrees afterward that would kill most if not all the concerns.

I was hoping you guys could give me some additional pointers on getting smoke on to my grill stuff without using the traditional smokers.

I will try to refrigerate after smoking for the two hours and then grilling the next day, but that is a little cumbersome.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »
It might be cumbersome but you cannot get a lot of smoke flavor if the smoke is only on the surface of the meat.

The sauce will remove the smoke flavor on the surface and the moisture & juices will wisk away smoke flavor on the surface as you are cooking.

I believe that if you let it rest overnight you will find a stronger smoke flavor.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
Most stuff like steaks only need an hour or two IMHO. Cold smoking for long periods can bring bacteria into question depending on where the temps get.

But they taste best when allowed to rest in the fridge overnight after cold smoking. This allows time for the smoke to make it's way into the meat. If you grill right after that flavor is less mellow and just on the surface.

muebe is very wise.  I listen to him.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Most stuff like steaks only need an hour or two IMHO. Cold smoking for long periods can bring bacteria into question depending on where the temps get.

But they taste best when allowed to rest in the fridge overnight after cold smoking. This allows time for the smoke to make it's way into the meat. If you grill right after that flavor is less mellow and just on the surface.

Tell my wife that ??? 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
Could you flatten out the hamburger and cold smoke then form into pattie so you would cold smoke on more surface area and smoke would be in the middle?
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

Tell my wife that ??? 8)

Can you all talk to my wife also ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
Cb used to do that..make a whole tray of hamburgers..you could smoke them and then cook them then cut them to size when they are done..  just sayin.  ☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི   
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron