Author Topic: Elk MeatLoaf on the PBC  (Read 4288 times)

Offline nachopitt

• Huntin' Smokin' & Eatin'
Elk MeatLoaf on the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »
I was rummaging around in the freezer last week, making room before I headed out hunting this year.  I came across a pound of elk hamburger and the gears in my head started turning.  Since I got my Pit Barrel Cooker, I have been putting everything I can find on it.  I decided to try some smoked meatloaf.  I have the local pizza place on speed dial if something goes south and a cook turns out bad. Fingers crossed, I was hopeful I wouldn't need them to bail me out (again). 

Game meats are tricky to cook with - some people like the taste, most don't.  My family falls into the later category.  I found that by defrosting the meat in brewed black coffee the acidity that causes the gamey taste is neutralized.  You can use buttermilk but I prefer coffee (plus I don't keep buttermilk around my house).  I unwrapped the frozen meat, washed it off (probably didn't need to), put the frozen block of meat in a bowl and poured about 4 cups of coffee over the top.  I covered the bowl and stuck it back in the fridge for about 24 hours.  When I went to make the loaf, I took the meat out, rinsed off the coffee and was ready to go.

The other tough part about game meats is that there isn't a lot of fat in them.  My elk last year was no exception - he was an older bull - they aren't as desirable for eating as younger cows.  Adding some fatty beef hamburger helps to improve the eating experience.  I used 2 lbs of the fattiest hamburger I could find at my local store.  It turned out the be the cheapest too - win!  Below is the recipe I used:

Smoked Elk Meatloaf
1 lbs of Elk Hamburger - thawed in coffee
2 lbs of Beef Hamburger
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs of onion powder
1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce
Two good splashes of A-1 steak sauce(maybe 3 tbs)
Two eggs
1 piece of bread after it went through the food processor and became bread crumbs

Mix all together really good in a bowl.  You want the elk to mix well with the beef.  When mixed, put onto foil and shape into loaf.  Put back in the fridge - I left mine overnight.

On Sunday, I started the PBC, and used the grill insert with both rods.  I put the loaf on a veggie roaster (upside down) with foil underneath to catch the drippings.  I didn't want the drippings (there were lots), to make a mess of the Pit Barrel or send ash flying everywhere when they hit the coals.  I cooked the loaf until it got to an internal temp of 130, then coated the top with BBQ sauce; at the same time I added 8 small (tiny) potatoes coated in olive oil and seasoning.  I have never tried potatoes on the Pit Barrel but my wife asked and it saved her from cooking them in the oven - so why not?  The loaf and potatoes cooked for another hour until the loaf temp got to 165 internally.  Total cook time was around 4 hours.

I pulled it off and sliced it immediately - I would have waited but I was running late for a concert and wanted to eat before I left.  Giving it an hour of rest would have been perfect.  Meat had a great smoke ring and tasted delicious; it was exceptionally juicy and the BBQ sauce was just right - not caramelized totally.  The “crust” of the outside provided a great texture and the smoke taste was just right - not too much.  There was no gamey taste to it - my family loved it.

Pics below (I only had my cellphone which wasn't the best - for future cooks I will make sure my camera is charged!)

Just put it on - note the pan upside down to catch the dripppings.  The foil between the pan and loaf peeled easily when I removed the loaf from the pan.

Getting Sauced - The loaf, not me.

Removed - and it rested for about 3 minutes - should have been longer as it crumbled slightly when cutting it.

Good smoke ring and great flavor - cooked nicely all the way through

Excellent taste!

Quick pic with the small potatoes before I attacked the plate on my way out the door - its a shame because it would have been nice to enjoy it a bit longer.

Overall this was a success.  Pizza was not required and it made enough for excellent leftovers (which I am about to eat).  I will be making this one again - thinking about my next one with some venison or oryx.  Thanks for looking!

Have Fork, Will Travel...

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Elk MeatLoaf on the PBC
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
That sounds and looks really good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »
Never had Elk but serve ne up!!!!!!!!!!   Looks fantastic
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »
of all the North American ruminants in the deer family
elk tastes the best
King of the OldSmokey

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:52:36 PM »
I have had elk sausage that was good and your meat loaf looks delicious!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
Delicious looking meatloaf!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
All I need is some mashed potatoes go with a thick slice of that and I'm all set.  YUM!!!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline nachopitt

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I didn't think it would be as good as it turned out. 

The best part about the PBC is that you literally put the food on and forget it for a while.  Nothing to mess with to control temps.  I purchased a leave in thermometer and I don't really have a need to look at anything anymore.  Put the food on, put the probe in and wait for it to hit the preset temp.  My wife loves it because it frees me up to do yard work and build up a nice appetite for what's cooking  8)  Before the PBC I used to sit by the smoker for hours, meticulously checking and rechecking everything.  Waste of time now!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I didn't think it would be as good as it turned out. 

The best part about the PBC is that you literally put the food on and forget it for a while.  Nothing to mess with to control temps.  I purchased a leave in thermometer and I don't really have a need to look at anything anymore.  Put the food on, put the probe in and wait for it to hit the preset temp.  My wife loves it because it frees me up to do yard work and build up a nice appetite for what's cooking  8)  Before the PBC I used to sit by the smoker for hours, meticulously checking and rechecking everything. Waste of time now!

I use that time as an excuse to sample the various different microbrews I have in the beer fridge.  :P

The meatloaf looks great, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
The meatloaf looks excellent!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
Looks most excellent.  I have a freezer half full of elk from the Cow I got last year.  I need to make this. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
I love your meatloaf.  I will have to give your version a try.  I just happen to have a lot of elk meat in my freezer, too.  Bookmarked..

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Elk MeatLoaf on the PBC
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
Elk Meatloaf sounds great....and looks great. Never heard of the coffee technique.....interesting
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
DANDY!!!  Looks awesome
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline nachopitt

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
As an aside, I was hoping to get two or three lunches out of it.  I only got one - my family devoured it.  I have some more elk coming to my freezer soon and I hope to be successful in my deer hunt in a few weeks. 

I have some more ideas on deck for some cook  :D