Author Topic: Tri tip fail  (Read 3282 times)

Offline tn_5568

Tri tip fail
« Reply #-1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
Never tried tri tip before but thought it looked good. The video on the website said cook 30 to 45 min. I was in at close to 2 hrs and wasn't even to 120 degrees yet. Potatoes were in for 2.5 hrs and weren't done either. It was cold and windy. Does anybody have problems cooking in cold weather?  Seemed like I had a charcoal problem with staying lit. Every time I pulled the cover off the coals looked pretty dark. I kept pulling the lid off for a bit to get them going good but the same thing would happen again.  Any ideas what went wrong?  Only my second cook so I am sure it's operator error.

Offline hikerman

Re: Tri tip fail
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
Tn, it sounds like your coals did not get going at the onset. Check to see if your vent opening is correct for your elevation.
Next, do you use lighter fluid or a chimney starter? After filling my charcoal basket with Kingsford I put about 20 coals in chimney and get them going good. Then toss onto basket and leave lid off for 15-20 minutes. Your coals should be going good enough at this time to be able to hang your meat. Hope this helps!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
I concur with Gene on the vent opening...And - in a windy situation, wind direction may also impact the coals. If you can fashion  a wind break, or locate the pit "around the corner" of the house so that it is out of the direct wind...that should help too
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
Along with the vent setting as mentioned above, yes outdoor conditions can affect barrel temps and cooking times.

I had the oppostite affect that you had, back in August when the outdoor temps in Vegas were well above the century mark I placed my PBC out in the direct sun. The ribs I did on that cook were done in two hours instead of the expected 4-5 hours.  I had my vent at 1/4 open for our elevation of 1867' MSL.

That's the fun of outdoor cooking, adjusting your methods to allow for the weather.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:01:58 AM »
It sounds to me that you just did not have a strong enough bed of coals going as Gene stated.

I always use lighter fluid for my PBC cooks and use regular Kingsford. I make sure that the coal basket is full and level at the top. Then I use a liberal amount of lighter fluid and make sure I get a complete coating of the coal bed. I DO NOT let the fluid soak into the coals. I immediately move the basket into the PBC after coating the coals with lighter fluid then light from four points on the bed in a circle. Then I wait a full 20 minutes before starting my cook. This method gives me the same results every time and IMHO I cannot taste the lighter fluid. Letting the fluid soak into the coals will... Just like match-light does.

I don't think that wind and cold will have a huge affect on this cooker. The being in the direct sunlight during a hot summer day example that LVC posted will.

Here are a couple of tips for cooking chicken I learned as I used my PBC...

When cooking chicken there is more moisture. The moisture will drop onto the coals creating a delicious tasting fog that adds flavor to your food. But if you do not have a strong bed of coals then this can cause problems.

Make sure your bed is very strong when cooking lots of chicken. You can crack the lid slightly, open the air shutter a little bit, or even leave one rebar out if not using it. This will but the temp up about 50 degrees just leaving one rebar out. You can locate the single rebar onto opposite holes.

I also like to remove the lid for the last 5 to 10 minutes when cooking chicken to finish the skin just don't walk away when doing this. That chicken can become charred very quickly!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
Tn, it sounds like your coals did not get going at the onset. Check to see if your vent opening is correct for your elevation.
Next, do you use lighter fluid or a chimney starter? After filling my charcoal basket with Kingsford I put about 20 coals in chimney and get them going good. Then toss onto basket and leave lid off for 15-20 minutes. Your coals should be going good enough at this time to be able to hang your meat. Hope this helps!

I think that's where I messed up. I used a chimney for 20 min then immediately started cooking.

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
That is what did it, I had that same problem in the early days.  I have cooked in close to 0*F weather with no issues.  Wind, if blowing directly in the vent, can cause it to run a bit hotter.  Also the coals closet to the vent will burn up faster.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
I think next time I will try the lighter fluid method so I don't have to wait 40 minutes

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Hey tn, my 2 cents worth. I'd get the chimney-method down, then go to the fluid method. Reason; what if one day you are ready to cook and find you are out of fluid. I prefer the chimney-method but that's just me, you use what you feel you should. But know this, I do have a can of fluid in the garage.....just in case!  Cover all the bases, be ready!  Good luck and good cooking buddy!  8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:31:07 PM by hikerman »

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
Tn- It's important to not let your coals burn too long before you cook, tri tip should not take that long. Also, if the PBC ever stalls you can crack your lid about 3/4 of an inch for about 20 minutes to stoke the coals and get more heat going. 99% of the time it comes back to the lighting process, I have attached the link for your review and as always feel free to call us our direct line is on every PBC. Thank you!http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/instructions

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
I only use lighter fluid with the PBC and I have always followed Noah's video on lighting it and have had stellar results every time. I would give that a try instead of the chimney starter to see how that works for you.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »
I only use lighter fluid with the PBC and I have always followed Noah's video on lighting it and have had stellar results every time. I would give that a try instead of the chimney starter to see how that works for you.

I am with Smoke! He has never led me astray - and I have to say, just following PBC instructions for almost two years I have never had a problem!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »

I am with Smoke! He has never led me astray - and I have to say, just following PBC instructions for almost two years I have never had a problem!

There is a misconception, I fear, that started making the rounds on barbeque forums several years ago.  The "lighter fluid taste" effect DOES NOT come from good quality charcoal lighter fluid.  It comes from over-smoking and is more pronounced with some woods than others and on some types of cookers.  Charcoal lighter fluid, used properly and in reasonable amounts burns away rather quickly leaving no trace of its aroma whatsoever.

Buy a good name brand of starter fluid, not the discount store cheap stuff.  Follow the directions.  Noah's 20 minute prep time is based on good science and experimentation to get it right.  Don't "soak" the charcoal with it way ahead, just sprinkle and light.  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use "Match Light" or any other fluid-infused charcoal (it burns hot, fast, and nasty).  Keep your "lid-off" times to a minimum.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN