Author Topic: Initial Heat Setting Experiences Using KBB Charcoal ?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Initial Heat Setting Experiences Using KBB Charcoal ?
« Reply #-1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
First - I appreciate all of Noah's R&D plus the detailed instructions of the PBC .
None the less even within a defined elevation range (for me in GA. it's 950 to 1025 feet above sea level) the 1/4 way opening of the bottom vent baffle "appears" to be a good nominal setting to hit the coveted 275 ~ 310 degrees F. temp range . I understand there are a number of variables involved but generally speaking - how long do you believe appropriate to wait after starting a cook with the PBC for it to "settle in" with meat inside BEFORE you start making adjustments to the bottom vent baffle ? Lastly  , eliminating any user error in the charcoal amount / lighting of the charcoal / time allowed for charcoal  to burn before cooking - what were your experiences in lower vent baffle adjustment using KBB (i.e. was the recommended setting for your elevation within the 275 ~ 310 degrees F. range OR did you have to adjust  the bottom vent baffle up / down to achieve ) ?  Thanks in advance ...

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Initial Heat Setting Experiences Using KBB Charcoal ?
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »
The PBC was designed to be a set it and forget it charcoal experience. All the guess work was taken care of for us lucky owners. I was too caught up in temps and variables early on and I now just light the KBB, wait 20 minutes, hang my meat and enjoy good grub. There should be no adjustments made to the heat shield unless it moves when cleaning it or covering it...just saying....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
smokeasaurus : thank you for the reply - I just want to learn enough about the proper cook parameters to see that the PTC is in the required temp zone for best results ! 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »
As Smoke stated there is no need to make adjustments to the air shutter once you have it in the proper position. To raise the heat some I like to leave one or both rebar out and sometimes crack the lid just slightly. I will only do this with chicken.

The main key to getting consistent temps and results from your PBC is to always follow the same amount/type of charcoal and lighting procedure. Doing this will give you the set it and forget it cooker that everyone loves.

From a small cook to a large cook I always fill the charcoal basket to the top and level. I light the charcoal basket the same way every time with lighter fluid and let it burn for a full 20 minutes with the lid off before starting to cook. I personally do not taste the lighter fluid because I do not give it a chance to soak in and after 20 minutes it has all burned off. Doing this always gives me around the same temps and consistent cooks.

So if using other methods to light the charcoal besides lighter fluid make sure you do it the same way every time.

IMHO anywhere from 275F to 325F is ideal for PBC cooking. I like a little higher for chicken however.

Nothing stops you from experimenting however. Playing with lump charcoal and adjusting air to create the cooker that works for you. Just remember to post your results so we all can learn.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
muebe : Our approaches are similar - I too use lighter fluid and charcoal in the same manner as you .
Once I confirm the official set up recommendation  (by Noah) is in the proper temp zone , I can put a digital probe into the meat I cook and relax ... I tend to be far more interested in experimenting with rubs , injection marinades and creating new BBQ sauces than I am with hardware . However I do realize it all is a system of sorts and must work in concert with each piece .

Offline okbbqman

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
I just did an 8 lb pork butt. Followed all the directions on the website. But when I took it off after 4 hours to foil and lay on the grill, I inserted a probe through a potato to check the temp at grill level. Outside temp was 34 degrees with wind 5-10 mph. Temp at the grill stayed pretty much at 325 degrees for the next 3 hours. Took pork butt off grill with internal temp of 205 degrees after 7 hours total. Temp at the grill was at 320 degrees. Pork butt was perfect. All 40 people in my Sunday School class agreed. Just wanted to share what I found about temps on the PBC.

okbbqman

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »
okbbqman : That's impressive - thanks for sharing the temps / time over your lengthy cook !

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
Chris, it's important to follow the lighting instructions that come with your PBC, also the vent will need to be adjusted to your elevation, you will not need to tinker with this after the initial setting. Please feel free to call with any questions as our direct line is on every pbc. Thank you!

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:51 AM »
I'm 972 ft. above sea level = 1/4 opening on bottom vent ; KBB filled level with even application of lighter fluid then immediately light ; Hang meat in 15 ~ 20 minutes (I believe 20 minutes is for higher elevation ?)

Offline DonR9

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
Chris, it's important to follow the lighting instructions that come with your PBC, also the vent will need to be adjusted to your elevation, you will not need to tinker with this after the initial setting. Please feel free to call with any questions as our direct line is on every pbc. Thank you!
I think the question is, what is the "normal" interior temperature range of the PBC? How do you adjust the vent opening without knowing what temperature you're looking for. I've seen posts the imply the range is somewhere between 285 and 320 – anything within that range and you're good to go. Are those good numbers: 285-320?
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »
I have to admit, I am a pretty basic guy. When I bought my PBC, I called Amber and she explained the process (just like muebe's post...) She told me that the vent was adjusted already to my city's (MPLS) elevation, but provided a chart that showed what it should be based on elevation. I have never checked the temp inside the PBC - have no idea what it is or should be. I have, of course, checked the temp of my food - don't want to make anyone sick. Following the PBC guides - the time for cooking has been very very close.

Reading muebe's posts - I have pulled one of the bars or cracked the lid when finishing chicken or wings - seems to do a better job of "crisping" the skin. Otherwise, this has been a very boring - set and forget - cooking experience that delivers excellent food. I love it!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
I think the question is, what is the "normal" interior temperature range of the PBC? How do you adjust the vent opening without knowing what temperature you're looking for. I've seen posts the imply the range is somewhere between 285 and 320 – anything within that range and you're good to go. Are those good numbers: 285-320?

Yep! That is the range for successful cooks I have seen posted. It may be that once you have gotten to know your PBC better - you wish to experiment a bit with intake vent settings. And - whether you leave the lid set in a manner that allows more drafting of air ( so it is not flat and "tight" to the top of the drum. But, all of that is for future tinkering. Let's get you comfortable with the basic operation.
I would like to suggest that you buy an extra bag of charcoal - Kingsford Blue to start with - and just try a dry run or two  without food in it- to get to know how your pit set up where you chose will react to your local conditions. It will help to quell your nerves rather than attempting an important cook as your first attempt to use it.
Take notes. measure your temps if you can. This will help with predicting cook times - but as long as you are in the range of even 275 - 350F - you will do fine, and your food will be fabulous.
It is perhaps the simplicity and lack of "exacting" concern that throws off a lot of 1st time users. We are used to fidgeting, manipulating and controlling our cooks. The PBC requires none of that - nor does it benefit from it ;) ;D. It may well be the best     "Have an adult beverage and RELAX" cooker ever made.
You will do just fine.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
And there you have it, a great analogy of the simplicity of the PBC.  Fire it up, hang the meat, put the lid on, and go do something else.  I use my WSM as much as I do my PBC, when cooking with the WSM I get to do all that vent fiddling with temp probes sticking everywhere, sure it's fun and I have good time with it.  I also enjoy the set it and forget it PBC cooking method.  Both cookers produce great BBQ in a different way, and I enjoy using both.  The PBC is simple device to use and I use it the way it was meant to be used and get great results from it. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)