Author Topic: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (or, why am I disappointed?)  (Read 7846 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (or, why am I disappointed?)
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Don, I think that you got a lot of good advice from everyone who responded to your situation. We are all here to help one another become  better at what we like to do, cook and eat!  8)
And don't think that you are pestering anyone here. We have all been flustered over something or another. Ask any question and I assure you that someone knows the answer. Sometimes there are as many ways to do things as there are responders!  But I'll tell you this.....I have never seen any bad advice given here. That's a testament to all of the collective knowledge of the members here!

My advice Don would be for you to get a couple of benchmark cooks under your belt on the PBC by following the video instructions, and then add your "touch" by trial and error one tweak at a time. As Tim alluded to, a guy's gotta fidget!
Good luck and good cooking!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
Even though I don't own a Pit Barrel Cooker, I have done more than my share of cooking on a Weber Kettle, so let me chime in here just a bit.

Don, being an analytical thinker, I love knowing how things work and probably would've over-thunk using the PBC a bit myself (yes I used the word "over-thunk"  :D).

I think you summed up your issue right here:

Quote from: DonR9
I've done two reasonably successful cooks on this thing: Chicken and ribs. Because neither was blow me away spectacular, I began to fret.

Based on your comments, I think you did have a couple of relatively successful cooks, so I don't think it's a cooker issue as much as you're just not totally happy with the flavor. 

Here are a couple of suggestions:

► I noticed in another post you used a chimney starter.  If, like me, you can't stand using charcoal lighter fluid, then you may need to invest in a couple of chimney starters to get enough charcoal going to fill the basket all at once. At least that way you'd be starting with the proper amount of charcoal, and you'd be up and running in the allotted 20 minutes.

There are people with super sensitive smelling that can detect even a small amount of lighter fluid, and I'm one of them. And that smell affects the flavor and could be a hindrance to enjoying an otherwise great cooker!

► I think you're on the right track with your turkey cook in regards to seasoning. Next time you do a rib cook, use the rubs/seasonings that YOU like, and then see if the flavor is more to your liking.

► Dare I say it?  I know the testing was all done using Kingsford, but DON'T be afraid to try a different brand of charcoal.

I like Royal Oak briquettes much better than Kingsford, because I just think they have a cleaner smoke flavor, and they cook just as well, if not better. 

If you can't find briquettes branded "Royal Oak", go to Wal-Mart and get the "Sam's Choice" or to Ace Hardware and get their "Grillmark" brand. Both are made by Royal Oak and should give equivalent results.

In the mean time, start taking some pics to share with us, and keep posting your experiences, good and bad, with this cooker.  The things you learn may help someone else!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:43:44 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline DonR9

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
Those are great suggestions. So, thanks!

Because of my demonstrated tendency to sweat the small stuff, for the cook I just started I'm doing a 15 lb turkey with Meathead's wet brine (equal parts of Simon & Garfunkel and rendered fat (turkey and chicken). I followed Noah's chimney starting instructions to the letter: filled the coal basket level, counted out 40 briquettes into the chimney, started it up, came back after 15 minutes, dumped those coals onto the rest of the coals in the basket, hung the turkey (with a ChefAlarm probe inserted), closed the lid and walked away. Now, of course comes the hard part – I have to stay away.

I'll post pictures regardless of the outcome
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »
Watching this one........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DonR9

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
Results after three hours. As best as I could determine, internal temp of barrel didn't exceed 260 degrees, but that might be a measurement error. I used an instant read digital thermometer inserted into one of the rod holes. So, who knows. The result though, appears to be pretty good. Letting it rest a bit before tasting.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Pappymn

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (or, why am I disappointed?)
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
Looks great. Would cutting that baby in half before cooking help? I don't have a PBC, so just asking
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
Don, that bird looks gorgeous!  I can't wait to hear how it tasted.
<><
Member #68

Offline hikerman

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
Yeah Don it looks wonderful!  Ahem .....I'll take one of those drumsticks,  please!  :P

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
From the looks of THAT chicken...I have to say you have nothing to fear. ;) ;D Perfect color Don.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »
That turkey looks fantastic Don!

I echo the sentiments here on this awesome board that don't ever be afraid to ask questions.  Someone on here, more
likely than not, will have an answer for you and head you in the right direction to get it answered.  I also tend to be over analytical at
times and when I got my first Weber Smokey Mountain I was always "chasing temperatures" for the first month or so. I listened some
sage advice on one of the other forums I belonged to at the time to just let the cooker do it's thing. Once you get the vents set on the
WSM and it reaches the temp you want it is basically set it and forget it. It sure saved me a few gray hairs!  ;) As of right now I can
go out fire it up, set the vents and know basically what temp it will be cooking. I just monitor the internal temp of the meat, not the
cooker. But that comes with using it over and over again. The old saying of "Practice makes Perfect" applies to me and I am sure it will to you.

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline DonR9

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
FAIL! It was nowhere near fully cooked. Put it back on and overcooked it. Going to try again tomorrow. But first, I'm calling Amber and Noah for a lecture in how to follow instructions. I experimented. I shouldn't have. Back up plan? Cook in the oven if I can't get it right the next time. By the way, the dog pictured absolutely loved the outcome – overcooked or not. He thinks I'm a god

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »
Looks like everything turned out A-OK  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (or, why am I disappointed?)
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
You amongst friends Don. Keep plugging away
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 11:07:32 PM »
FAIL! It was nowhere near fully cooked.

What were the signs that it wasn't fully cooked?  What was the temp reading of the turkey when you pulled it out?

The USDA relaxed the temperature guidelines on poultry a few years ago.  Gone are the days of cooking poultry to 185° and having dried out bird.  The new minimum temp guidelines for poultry are 165°. Seeing dark pink around the bones and joints, is very normal with modern breeds of chickens and turkeys, and especially considering the young age at which they are slaughtered.

I probe BOTH in the thickest part of the breast AND the thigh and go by the lowest reading (which is usually the breast).  As long as the meat has reached 165° it's safe and I ignore any pink around the bones.

BUT it's tough convincing many people of this because for years we were told we had to cook it to 185°.

<><
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 07:33:22 AM »
FAIL! It was nowhere near fully cooked.

What were the signs that it wasn't fully cooked?  What was the temp reading of the turkey when you pulled it out?

The USDA relaxed the temperature guidelines on poultry a few years ago.  Gone are the days of cooking poultry to 185° and having dried out bird.  The new minimum temp guidelines for poultry are 165°. Seeing dark pink around the bones and joints, is very normal with modern breeds of chickens and turkeys, and especially considering the young age at which they are slaughtered.

I probe BOTH in the thickest part of the breast AND the thigh and go by the lowest reading (which is usually the breast).  As long as the meat has reached 165° it's safe and I ignore any pink around the bones.

BUT it's tough convincing many people of this because for years we were told we had to cook it to 185°.

If you've got 165-170 degrees at the thickest point of the thigh, you've got a done bird.  Reddish coloring to the meat, especially near the bones and joints is a normal result of smoking, a chemical reaction.  If the juices run clear, not bloody, its done.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN