Author Topic: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (or, why am I disappointed?)  (Read 7847 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (or, why am I disappointed?)
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »
Don, I agree with Hub and Cliff and Mike and everybody else when they say that the reddish color next to the bones is normal. My chickens and turkeys are smoked on a pellet pooper and they all have that reddish color next to the bones and I take the temps way up to the 190's sometimes (when I step away for a while and kinda forget to take them off in a timely manner...happens more often than I would like to admit). Your turkey looks delicious and I think that you did everything right. Keep experimenting because those experiments taste great.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
If you've got 165-170 degrees at the thickest point of the thigh, you've got a done bird.  Reddish coloring to the meat, especially near the bones and joints is a normal result of smoking, a chemical reaction.  If the juices run clear, not bloody, its done.

Hub

Good point Hub.  You can't forget the chemical reaction in a wood-fired, charcoal or gas cooker (I.E. the smoke ring).

One clarification I would add is that the dark pinkish reddish color around the bones is actually hemoglobin from the marrow seeping through the soft porous bones. This is because many modern breeds of poultry (both chickens and turkeys) grow so quickly and are slaughtered at such a young age that their bones aren't fully developed.

Here's are a couple articles with more details: 

► From the USDA (scroll down and read sections 13, 14. 15 & 16)USDA/FSIS - Color of Meat and Poultry

►From Amazing ribs:  amazingribs.com - Mythbusting when chicken is done

This is a good discussion, especially with Thanksgiving just a few days away. :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:25:02 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline order66

• #PorkAddict
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
Keep at it Don.
Don't give up.
I put 7 hours into a good but not great boston butt yesterday.
This hobby is all about practice. There is so much knowled and experience here. Just gotta keep trying. It felt strange not to chase temps and fiddle with dampers, wonder what the barrel temp,was when I first got my PBC now after a few dozen cooks,  I have it mostly sorted out, I love the freedom that the PBC offers. Drink beer watch the game, entertain guests all without obsessing about what the cooker is doing...
Barrel-On Don!!!
Cheers!
JDP
----------------------
PBC
Smokey Joe w/15 Gal.Drum Mod (Gateway Drug)
Weber 22.5 OTG
Weber 4 Burner Summit Gasser #usedtoloveher

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
My buddy in High School joined the Professional Bowlers Assc. after we graduated. I watched him bowl a 300 right handed and years later he rolled a 300 left handed much to my amazement. The next game he threw two gutter balls. He told me bowling is a sport where anyone can do it but nobody can master it.

I think Queing is kinda like bowling...... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Keep at it Don.
Don't give up.
I put 7 hours into a good but not great boston butt yesterday.
This hobby is all about practice. There is so much knowled and experience here. Just gotta keep trying. It felt strange not to chase temps and fiddle with dampers, wonder what the barrel temp,was when I first got my PBC now after a few dozen cooks,  I have it mostly sorted out, I love the freedom that the PBC offers. Drink beer watch the game, entertain guests all without obsessing about what the cooker is doing...
Barrel-On Don!!!

That's what I'm talking about, this year I'm doing two turkeys, one in the BEESR, which I've done before, and the other in the PBC, my first in the PBC.  Both cookers are set it and forget it cookers and I plan to indulge in some adult beverages while the birds are roasting away. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »
My buddy in High School joined the Professional Bowlers Assc. after we graduated. I watched him bowl a 300 right handed and years later he rolled a 300 left handed much to my amazement. The next game he threw two gutter balls. He told me bowling is a sport where anyone can do it but nobody can master it.

The only reason I like bowling is because the ball comes back to you.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »

The only reason I like bowling is because the ball comes back to you.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

:D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 12:17:47 AM »

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)