Author Topic: So; I'm doing something wrong and can't figure it out.  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Dcampbez

So; I'm doing something wrong and can't figure it out.
« Reply #-1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
Been lurking for a while; I've been a proud owner of a Pit Barrel Cooker  for around a month now. I've researched; read the forums, watched the videos, and have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. I've done five cooks; including Thanksgiving yesterday and have turned out some pretty inconsistent results. I'm in Buffalo New York; around 600 feet above sea level, so my air vent is 1/4 open. I have a Thermapen I'm using for temperature testing; and I'm pretty certain it's accurate (Boiling water returns a 212 every time). The lid seems to be sealing correctly. I was willing to wave off the other bad cooks as being new; maybe rushing and not paying enough attention to detail. I don't have any notes, so the earlier ones are from memory:

Cook Number One was a chicken, based on everything I read here that was the way to start. Used the lighter fluid method; had a solid bed of coals after 20 minutes and hung four chicken halves. After three hours I was seeing around 135. Took another two hours to hit 160; pulled it then. A little pink around the bone but decent. Was a little dry.

Second cook was two racks of Baby Back ribs. These were excellent, but the cook took longer than I’d expected. Details are fuzzy; I used a charcoal starter chimney.

For the third cook, went with a brisket. Was an 8 pound flat; took 6 hours to hit 205 and was a little tough. Wrapped in foil with some broth and back on the rack for two hours; and was actually amazing. Charcoal Chimneys again.

Fourth time in I tried the chicken again; with the Chimney. Didn’t split the chicken, hung two of them whole. The cook times are fuzzy, but was in the 4-5 hour range. Turned out a little rubbery and dry.

Yesterday; tried a turkey. A fresh premium bird; 15 pounder. Brined in water and salt overnight; allowed to dry, then coated with Olive Oil and rub. Based on the size and the video on the Pit Cooker website I thought it should be a little more than an three hour cook. Used the Lighter Fluid method; started coals at 10:45 and put the turkey on at 11:05.

At three pm; the thighs were 135 and the breast was 140. Can’t be ready. Again at 4pm; was seeing 142 in thigh and 150 in the breast; still very short. Lid back on; and by 5pm had 155 or so in the thigh and 160 in the breast. Total cook time six hours; I pulled and let it rest for 20 and then carved it. Meat had a great smoke ring, but was dry and disappointing.

So; what am I doing wrong? I don’t seem to be nailing the temperatures I should in a timely manner; should I be watching the cook times more than the temperature? I can't imagine I'm supposed to pull it before it's cooked all the way through, but I'm missing something. Hopefully something simple.

Thanks!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: So; I'm doing something wrong and can't figure it out.
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum first off!

My first question I have to ask is... Are you using Kingsford charcoal? The others just don't burn as hot.

Second you should go by time up to a certain point then check internal temps.

With that being said if you chickens are completely thawed and your bed of coals are solid then the times should be pretty close. Constant removal of the lid and temp checking is not needed with this cooker.

I suggest that if you find it is taking too long for the food to cook then you may need to open up the air shutter some. The more it us open the hotter the temps. This is a simple fix.

If you notice the coals are weak you can crack the lid to bring them back to life. Just keep an eye on them or you may burn your food.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
Are you filling the charcoal basket to the top?
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
Make sure you use regular good old Kingsford and just try once using the lighter fluid method. I have used it since day one and have had very consistent results.

When in doubt, please call Noah and Amber. They will work with you until you are 100% satisfied  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Dcampbez

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
Thanks folks!

I've been using Kingsford in the blue and white bags; and I've tried both the starter chimney and lighter fluid lighting approach; I used fluid for the turkey yesterday and it didn't seem to help.

Calling is on my list of things go do; but I wanted to take a run at the forum here first to rule out anything simple....

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
Are you leaving the rebar in the holes provided?  I would be tempted to open the vent more to between 1/3 and 1/2 way and see if you get hotter fire. I know it is colder where you are - so maybe we need to get a little more air to those 'coals to fret the low air temps you may be dealing with.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Dcampbez

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »
Are you leaving the rebar in the holes provided?  I would be tempted to open the vent more to between 1/3 and 1/2 way and see if you get hotter fire. I know it is colder where you are - so maybe we need to get a little more air to those 'coals to fret the low air temps you may be dealing with.

I've left the rebar in; I was thinking about opening the hole a little more and just doing a test burn with a wireless thermometer hanging in the center to see what temps I'm hitting.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

I've left the rebar in; I was thinking about opening the hole a little more and just doing a test burn with a wireless thermometer hanging in the center to see what temps I'm hitting.

I think that is a fine idea. And - a baking potato is a fine "probe holder"  if you wanted to measure temps at the cooking grate level as well. Just shove it most of the way thru the potato and se the potato on the grate. This will give you some idea about cook temps at that level.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »
Not wanting to stereotype you.......but what's the windchill?
The cooker may not get hot enough with cold temperatures & wind.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Dcampbez

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
Not wanting to stereotype you.......but what's the windchill?
The cooker may not get hot enough with cold temperatures & wind.

Fair point; I should track the outdoor temps; but it was mild, high 40s on Thanksgiving.  No wind; I don't think there has been a cook I've done yet when it was below 40.

Offline Dcampbez

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »

[/quote]

I think that is a fine idea. And - a baking potato is a fine "probe holder"  if you wanted to measure temps at the cooking grate level as well. Just shove it most of the way thru the potato and se the potato on the grate. This will give you some idea about cook temps at that level.
[/quote]

So; today was a wash. Next weekend I am going to stick my wireless temp probe all the way through a potato (so the sensor is in the air); and light a full basket of charcoal with lighter fluid. Leave the rebar in; and use the wire rack to hold the potato up. I'll report back what I get.

Thanks!

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
I'd suggest you forget most of what the PBC videos show and make your own lighting procedure i.e. experiment.
I cook chickens in 1 hour and 15 minutes, like clock work.
My procedure is:
Fill the basket 3/4 full
Fill a weber compact chimney, light, get it red hot.
spread over the basket
Leave the PBC uncovered for 10 minutes
Put the lid on, DO NOT HANG FOOD YET. At this point my PBC temp is hovering around 400 degrees. (My experiment, reduces bellowing smoke when food is hang)
Then after another 10 minutes I hang the food.

I'm cooking with Ozark oak lump charcoal 95% of the time.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »

[/quote]

So; today was a wash. Next weekend I am going to stick my wireless temp probe all the way through a potato (so the sensor is in the air); and light a full basket of charcoal with lighter fluid. Leave the rebar in; and use the wire rack to hold the potato up. I'll report back what I get.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Sorry - I should have been more plain... I meant that you need to definitely need to exposed the tip of the probe, and most of it's shaft to the air. The potato should be holding the end of the probe nearest the wire. The tip is where the probe senses temperature. As well - if you have a 2 probe/2 channel Maverick such as a model # 732 - use the rounded tip probe for checking the pit temp.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401