Author Topic: PBC & Chimney Starter Procedure  (Read 6180 times)

Offline ChrisD46

PBC & Chimney Starter Procedure
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »
Is this correct procedure for using a chimney starter with a PBC ?

* Fill charcoal level with top of PBC charcoal holder
* Remove 40 briquettes , place in chimney starter , then light
* Wait 15 ~ 20 minutes until top layer in chimney is mostly ashed over - then pour over top of PBC remaining charcoal .

** Does anyone know if the Weber compact chimney starter will hold 40 briquettes ?  ...The smaller weber compact chimney starter is appealing for usage with the PBC (versus the larger Weber chimney starter which is awkward to use inside the PBC) .

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: PBC & Chimney Starter Procedure
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
According to the <a href="http://pitbarrelcooker.com/watch">Pit Barrel Cooker Video</a> fill the PBC coal basket 1/2 to 3/4 full then fill the chimney starter to the top.  Light the chimney starter and let it ride for 15~20 minutes, depending on your elevation.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
I know for a fact that the Weber compact chimney does hold 40 briquettes give or take 2 coz I actually filled and counted.
And it works perfectly for dumping the coals into the basket.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Bacala

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »

* Wait 15 ~ 20 minutes until top layer in chimney is mostly ashed over - then pour over top of PBC remaining charcoal .

Well, that is what the instructions that ship with the PBC tell us to do, but even though I've only done three cooks in mine, I'm prepared to say that no, it is not the correct procedure. It just doesn't get the fire hot enough at the start. Compare these instructions with Noah's video where he drenches the entire basket with fluid and lets it burn for 20 minutes. How can these two methods possibly produce the same initial heat?

With my three attempts I have followed those posted instructions exactly, and the cooker never got into the expected heat range and the food took much longer to cook than advertised. I'm in a mild climate and I do have the vent set correctly. I'm not worried about the extra time, but in the end a grey evenly cooked tri is just not nearly as desirable as one that has the added flavor and attractiveness from a good sear.

If the rain holds off this weekend I intend to give it another go with 80 coals lit to start, and letting the basket burn a bit before adding meat and closing. I'll report back on the difference.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
I know for a fact that the Weber compact chimney does hold 40 briquettes give or take 2 coz I actually filled and counted.
And it works perfectly for dumping the coals into the basket.

too add, the full size Weber chimney starter holds exactly 5 lbs of briqs.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
THIS is a great discussion....Not only are we seeing how others use their PBC - but also how some that are having difficulties with theirs can try some "adjusted methods" to solve those issues.

I use another variation for start up:

Take 2 large Weber charcoal starters and turn them upside down. Then, place 3 or 4 full size sheets of newspaper on a flat surface such as a table.
Roll the news paper into a small diameter tube - such as you would a set of blueprints  ( about the size of a cigar's diameter ) except -  from one opposite corner to the other; i.e. - lower right to upper left. You will need to make two of these, but one at a time.
Now, "wind" your roll into the vent area on the charcoal chimney. This should be facing up. ( because you turned it upside down earlier )
The paper roll should be snug to the out side of the chimney.
Now - wad up 1 sheet of newspaper - and stuff it in the middle, to gel hold the coil of the newspaper in place.
Tun it over, set it on ground that is safe to light the chimney and fill with Kingsford Blue Bag charcoal.

Using a propane or MAPP gas torch - light the newspaper thru the vent holes in 4 or 5 places around the chimney. Wait fifteen minutes  and - no more.

Dump them into the basket - already in the pit. Leave the rebar out for 10 minutes - then add rebar and meat.

Works for me!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:30:47 PM »
All useful replies !!

* There is a BIG difference between using a Weber Large Rapid Start chimney and the smaller Weber Compact chimney !

* If you don't have enough coals ashed over in the PBC then you are essentially going the :  "minion method" route and temps will be lower throughout the cook ...Using a chimney to add hot coals to the main charcoal holder is not a 15 minute ordeal - more time is needed to get the main body of coals up to temp properly after adding hot chimney coals  (unless again , you are seeking the minion method of keeping temps low for a specific , lengthy cook process ) .

* I have tried using Kingsford starter fluid a grand total of twice : The 1st time I could not taste the starter fluid - the 2nd time I could CLEARLY taste the lighter fluid using the same amount of starter fluid , time allowed for starter fluid to burn off , etc. There will be no 3rd time using starter fluid for me ... I simply don't want to risk ruining good meat with the off -flavor starter fluid can potentially create . This is why I believe becoming accomplished with the chimney method of lighting coals is essential to producing a quality PBC cook without the potential of any off flavors (i.e. starter fluid) .

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:40:14 PM »
Revision  : starter fluid = lighter fluid ... Sorry for referring to both  lighter & starter fluid in the previous post .
I will be doing a PBC turkey this Sunday using a full PBC basket of charcoal (with 40 briquettes removed & added to chimney) . I will make note of initial 40 briquette burn + the additional time needed to get the full basket of charcoal in the PBC up to temp (noting any above / below average wind which could effect a nominal length of time to get the full PBC charcoal basket up to temp .

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:45:40 PM »

Well, that is what the instructions that ship with the PBC tell us to do, but even though I've only done three cooks in mine, I'm prepared to say that no, it is not the correct procedure. It just doesn't get the fire hot enough at the start. Compare these instructions with Noah's video where he drenches the entire basket with fluid and lets it burn for 20 minutes. How can these two methods possibly produce the same initial heat?

With my three attempts I have followed those posted instructions exactly, and the cooker never got into the expected heat range and the food took much longer to cook than advertised. I'm in a mild climate and I do have the vent set correctly. I'm not worried about the extra time, but in the end a grey evenly cooked tri is just not nearly as desirable as one that has the added flavor and attractiveness from a good sear.

If the rain holds off this weekend I intend to give it another go with 80 coals lit to start, and letting the basket burn a bit before adding meat and closing. I'll report back on the difference.

Bacala, before you try 80 coals maybe try a longer wait period between dumping the lit coals and hanging the meat. Or actually run the PBC covered before you hang the meat. Example, lit coals, wait, dump coals wait with PBC uncovered, then cover and wait then hang food.
I think 80 lit coals might just produce too high of temp.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
I am thinking if you add 40 lit coals to the unlit coals in the basket, how much time are you giving the unlit briqs to catch before you hang your meat and put on the lid?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:58 PM »
I am thinking if you add 40 lit coals to the unlit coals in the basket, how much time are you giving the unlit briqs to catch before you hang your meat and put on the lid?

I think the better way would be to monitor coal ignition after dumping the lit coals instead of going by time. I won't hang meat until my coals look something like this....

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Bacala

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »

None, per Amber's direction:

"Hi Ed,

Thank you for the email, when using a chimney you will fill your charcoal basket full remove 1/4 of them (40 briquets) and light. These will burn for either 12-15 minute minutes if you are 2000 ft or below or 20 minutes for all elevations. Once you have allowed this time pour them on top of the unlit coals as you did put the lid on and cook immediately.  Sometimes for whatever reason cookers can stall, if this happens you can always crack the lid about 1/4" for 20 minutes or so to stoke the coals and get the heat going. Feel free to call should you have further questions our direct line is on every cooker."

Given the posts here explaining methods and describing results, and my results after following this advice, this is clearly not accurate. I did try cracking the lid on two of the cooks, and although the temp came up a bit, it never got to the described range and the cooker cooled again fairly soon after closing properly.

Offline Bacala

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:58:01 PM »

I think the better way would be to monitor coal ignition after dumping the lit coals instead of going by time. I won't hang meat until my coals look something like this....

OK - wow! That is one heck of a lot hotter than 40 coals and closing immediately as directed by PBC Co. Not even close. This is what I'll do if able to cook on the weekend, and I'll report back. Thank you for the visual.

Hopefully, we can hammer this out between us all and the chimney fans can skip this part of the learning process in the future.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
Oh yeah, we'll figure this out.
If you hang immediately the drippings will cool off the heat drastically.
From my experiments I used to monitor temps and if I didn't start hot my temps dropped drastically from the drippings.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:33 PM »
Let's keep this discussion alive fellas...Ed - I hope you will keep us posted with your progress, and - post pics if you can along with descriptions if you think that will help us visualize exactly how you apply what method you use. The more methods we can develop = more help for more users of the PBC.

It is a simple appliance. But, there are many ways to get it up to the temp. range you want. Pick one that makes sense to you ( Biggie has concentrated a lot of effort - and the food he produces is incredible - so you know how I am leaning.... ;D ) and try it a few times. You don't have to cook something to practice your start up methods. Just get a couple bags of charcoal and go to it!

Best!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401