Author Topic: PBC & Chimney Starter Procedure  (Read 6191 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Re: PBC & Chimney Starter Procedure
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
1Bigg_ER : You are correct - I hung a whole chicken immediately after dumping the 40 briquettes onto the charcoal basket and the drippings extinguished a good bit of the charcoal / or kept the temps down quite low (made worse on a calm wind day) .

* For me , it's now making sure I have a full , robust charcoal basket light - the key is difinately waiting additional time after dumping the 40 lit briquettes onto the charcoal basket ... Lid off and rebar rods out for another 15 minutes or until (again) a full , robust charcoal basket light is accomplished .

Offline Bacala

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 02:01:23 AM »
Just put my PBC to bed in the garage after finally getting it started well and cooking two loads. Thanks to all the helpful replies here and a handful of pictures, the cooker started hotter than when I followed the included instructions, and for the first time in four tries, it really was a "set and forget" cook. Thanks to everyone for being so generous with the help and encouragement.

Here is what worked for me:

- Fill basket and remove 50 coals to place in the chimney.
- Lite chimney and let it go for exactly 15 minutes
- Pour burning coals onto those in basket, distribute evenly with an old BBQ tool, and let it get going for exactly 10 minutes with lid off
- Put lid in place and left it for exactly 10 minutes

At this point I had a bed of coals burning well. Placed the probe of my thermometer into a 6 pound sirloin tip roast, set the alarm for 135deg, dropped in two chunks of hickory, hung the roast, closed the lid and went back to my yard and garden chores of the day. Didn't touch the thing until I heard the alarm at 2h 35m, and when my instant-read verified the internal temp I pulled it and wrapped it in foil for 20 minutes. The roast came out perfectly and my wife who is a very fussy eater and beef lover deemed it delicious. I can take or leave beef myself, but have to say this was very tender and tasty. During the 20 minute wait as it rested, I prepared 4 chicken halves and hung them to take advantage of the long cook time PBC affords. Didn't check them until 1.5 hours in and found the cooker had cooled and the birds were not close to being done. I opened the vent to half-way and cracked the lid about 1/2 inch for about 10 minutes, then closed it up again. Birds were done perfectly about 30 minutes later.

Having company next Sunday and can't wait to have a go with a spatchcocked turkey. If that goes well, we'll do it again with a big bird for Christmas dinner.

Thanks again to all for the guidance. Much appreciated.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 06:36:59 AM »
Glad you got your PBC dialed in and it works for you!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
Very happy to hear that, Bacala.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
Glad to hear you got her dialed in, looking forward to seeing some pictures of your cooks.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)