Author Topic: Spatchcocked Turkey?  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Spatchcocked Turkey?
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 04:42:42 AM »
That turkey looks perfect tome..pretty bird. Gonna try one on my Weber.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Bacala

Re: Spatchcocked Turkey?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »
Beautiful color! I would not complain about that one based on it's appearance. Brining may help you get closer to your goal. Modern roasting chickens are hybridized to have more fat than turkey...so what you may be missing is the moisture. The brining will help that a great deal.

Did someone slip you a sample from my table when I wasn't looking?? You nailed it.

I definitely would not call the bird dry, but as I ate it I couldn't help thinking of the tender juiciness of the chickens that come out of the PBC. I kept my comments to myself, but despite the compliments coming from family and guests I was disappointed and was already thinking about next time. I plan to try again this weekend for a confidence builder, then go for real on Christmas for about 18 guests. I thought the flavor was dead-on so I won't do anything too "out there" with the brine, just plain and simple. I realize the raw material is a crucial factor, but if I can do it, I'll be perfectly happy with something in-between what we had the other night and the PBC chicken.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and comments!