Author Topic: Turkey Then Followed With Whole Chicken (Caution !)  (Read 2669 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Turkey Then Followed With Whole Chicken (Caution !)
« Reply #-1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
Just a quick note to share with the PBC fans here : This past weekend I cooked a 14.5lb turkey on the PBC for 3hrs 45min and it turned out well ... After removing the turkey I thought to take advantage of the PBC's long cook ability, so I hung a whole chicken following removal of the turkey - the results were very poor  - here is why : With the turkey cooking for almost 4 hours a great deal of fat / grease was rendered out which fell on the coals below . When I hung the chicken there was a good deal of grease smoke coming up through the PBC which when combined with the fat / grease rendered from the whole chicken it was simply too much and the ensuing chicken tasted like it came off a : "fast food burger grill"  - the taste of grease / smoke was simply overwhelming !! Here is the lesson I learned : If you cook a whole turkey (like I did) do NOT add another round of meat afterwards to the PBC . Just let the coals cook off completely and live to cook on the PBC another day  :)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Turkey Then Followed With Whole Chicken (Caution !)
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
Sorry it didn't work for you but learning is half the fun ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:03 AM »
Good info to know on turkey in the PBC. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Bacala

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
Chris, one option if you want to try this again would be to leave the cooker open for 10 minutes or so after removing the first cook in order to let the coals breath freely and burn hot enough to render the grease.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »
Chris, one option if you want to try this again would be to leave the cooker open for 10 minutes or so after removing the first cook in order to let the coals breath freely and burn hot enough to render the grease.

Excellent idea Bacala! I would think that this should work.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
I think if the turkey is hung like in the PBC video, you might be able to hang a chicken half or two off to the sides of the turkey.......??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »

Excellent idea Bacala! I would think that this should work.

Also, if necessary add a few more briquettes to bring the heat up.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »
Turkey will have a ton of moisture especially if brined. So consideration of that fact needs to be considered when cooking with the PBC.

The drippings on the hot coals make for a great moisture rich cooking environment that keeps things from drying out. However too much liquids can cause the coal bed to weaken.

Giving it time to recover and adding more coals are both great ideas.

Also adjusting the air shutter open some to compensate for moisture rich turkey and chicken works too!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
Turkey will have a ton of moisture especially if brined. So consideration of that fact needs to be considered when cooking with the PBC.

The drippings on the hot coals make for a great moisture rich cooking environment that keeps things from drying out. However too much liquids can cause the coal bed to weaken.

Giving it time to recover and adding more coals are both great ideas.

Also adjusting the air shutter open some to compensate for moisture rich turkey and chicken works too!

Another great idea, time to get the micrometer out and set the air shutter for altiitude and moisture.   We will have to set the PBC vent according to barometric pressure and relative humitidy. ;)
----------------------

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies : There was no room to hang the chicken halves on either side of the turkey ... I like the idea of leaving the lid off to render out existing grease then adding additional new coals and finally putting the lid back on for a brief time to settle out the internal PBC temp .