Author Topic: Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!  (Read 9751 times)

Offline Bacala

Re: Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
Thanks Guys....basically confirms what I suspected...next cook I will avoid adding anything but the charcoal and will def. make sure it is well ignited before the cook starts. Planning more chicken on the weekend (since we are stormed in today), possibly some ribs and then a trial run with a prime rib to get my method sorted before Christmas Day....

Sounds like you're ready for a good cook now. Just curious - what kind of wood did you add? Don't know if you saw the related thread, but I too had trouble starting the cooker hot enough when following PBC's chimney instructions that ship with the cooker. After three strikes with those, last time I followed the method below and everything was fine.

- Fill basket and remove 50 coals to place in the chimney.
- Lite chimney and let it go for exactly 15 minutes
- Pour burning coals onto those in basket, distribute evenly with an old BBQ tool, and let it get going for exactly 10 minutes with lid off
- Put lid in place and left it for exactly 10 minutes before adding meat

Looking forward to hearing how good your chicken comes out next time.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 07:43:12 AM »
welcome
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »
THanks Bacala...that is exactly what I will try. I'm accustomed to using lump charcoal and either my Kamodo or my Horizon offset...I see now when they say to follow directions exactly...they mean it :) I used some chunks of Hickory which I think overwhelmed the food in combination with the unlit Kingsford....next time will be better. I appreciate all of the help from everyone...looking forward to better results next time!

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
PugFug, I use lump charcoal in my PBC almost exclusively.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
Greetings from Las Vegas. ;)

I've used my PBC for chicken mostly, also did a turkey in it, followed the instructions for lighting with Kingsford charcoal and lighter fluid exactly as the PBC instructions say and the results have been fantastic. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
This is also the way I do it when I use a chimney. 

qoute: Sounds like you're ready for a good cook now. Just curious - what kind of wood did you add? Don't know if you saw the related thread, but I too had trouble starting the cooker hot enough when following PBC's chimney instructions that ship with the cooker. After three strikes with those, last time I followed the method below and everything was fine.

- Fill basket and remove 50 coals to place in the chimney.
- Lite chimney and let it go for exactly 15 minutes
- Pour burning coals onto those in basket, distribute evenly with an old BBQ tool, and let it get going for exactly 10 minutes with lid off
- Put lid in place and left it for exactly 10 minutes before adding meat

Looking forward to hearing how good your chicken comes out next time.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline DonR9

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
Thanks Guys....basically confirms what I suspected...next cook I will avoid adding anything but the charcoal and will def. make sure it is well ignited before the cook starts. Planning more chicken on the weekend (since we are stormed in today), possibly some ribs and then a trial run with a prime rib to get my method sorted before Christmas Day....

My experience, as a new user, has led me to  the following starting method: fill the PBC basket level with KBB briquettes. From that supply, fill your chimney starter (rather than count out 40 briquettes), set the remaining coals aside and start using crumpled newspaper. Once the chimney has started nicely (about 10 or 15 minutes here at sea level), pour those briquettes into the PBC basket, and then fill it up with the remaining coals you set aside. Let the basket burn for a few minutes with the barrel uncovered. Then put the top on and go get your meat. In a few minutes the internal barrel temperature settles into its range. Using that starting technique I've re-evaluated "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" Turns out it was a great movie after all. (See my earlier post: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11814.0). I've had two absolutely killer cooks since that earlier post. Chicken and a rack of lamb my neighbors (who've lived all over the world) described as "flat-out, the best lamb we've ever eaten.
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »
Thanks Don....so this weekend I followed pretty much what you described and had fantastic results with both my chicken and my ribs. Feeling much better now...and really looking forward to doing my prime rib for Christmas Dinner! I don't think I've ever cooked this much outside in December...ever!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline Pappymn

Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
Beautiful ribs
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
Yes those ribs looks outstanding!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
Oh yeah!  Rib me!  :P

Offline elsos

• Central Arizona
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Pug-
I'm so glad you posted this because my first try out of the box on Christmas day sent my in-laws packing a little earlier than expected.   :-X
Apparently I don't like to read much, and after using the chimney and dropping the lit coals onto the unlit, I immediately hung two butterball turkey roasts and closed the lid. They were done in a fairly short time, but the smoke was extreme and overbearing! It tasted a lot like charcoal briquette fumes...and it was just too much .  But we had some good side dishes. :)

I spent about an hour that night perusing the web and came across this Forum. Your post convinced me that it was my lack of reading, not a lack of hardware. So I've moved on to more cooks that have been great!

Elsos

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
elsos-

I am happy that you found the information here that will help you be successful with your PBC.  So, I look forward to you sharing your experiences with us as well - so that we can all continue to learn from one another. :)
No one is an expert - we are all students of life and th adventures in outdoor cooking.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »
I'm so glad you posted this because my first try out of the box on Christmas day sent my in-laws packing a little earlier than expected.   :-X

Whatever method you used I need to try that the next time my in-laws come over. :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
I'm so glad you posted this because my first try out of the box on Christmas day sent my in-laws packing a little earlier than expected.   :-X

Whatever method you used I need to try that the next time my in-laws come over. :P

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #