Author Topic: Amazen Smoke Tube and Salmon  (Read 66192 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Amazen Smoke Tube and Salmon
« Reply #-1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
There have been some good smoked salmon cooks shown recently, so I decided to try one with my Amazen Smoke Tube. I am looking for some suggestions and criticisms--not really an atta boy.

This is a 1.3 pound piece with skin. I simply put salt and pepper on for a few hours, then put my 12" tube filled with mesquite (that is what I had). I am in Florida, so the ambient is around 85. I put the fish and smoker tube on for 2 1/2 hours (Thermapen temp then was 95), then turned on my RED on medium and grilled for 5 minutes a side, then flipped once more because I didn't see the grill marks I wanted. Thermapen end temp was 142.

I put butter and capers on right before plating with a broccoli and pasta salad wife made. Of course butter makes everything good, but this was VERY good.

Here are my questions:

1. The smoke flavor was only very mild. Maybe I am too used to my smoked ribs on my ECB. Wife said it was a "hint", but kind of wanted more. Maybe I am asking too much for the tube. Wife said she would do it this way again.

2.I understand the safe zone temperature concept, but in Florida with warm temperatures, if I use the tube, I have to just use it. So far, on burgers and steaks, no problems. Any suggestions or comments?

3.Speaking of burgers and steaks, I have had the same results with only a very mild smoke taste. OK, but maybe I am asking too much and should only expect a mild smoke flavor.

4. On the Amazen site I have found the Owners Manual, but no real "How To" sections on things like burgers and steaks. Am I missing a section to read?

Thanks for any input.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Amazen Smoke Tube and Salmon
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
Beautiful meal.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:39:36 AM »
looks super tasty partner.  nice cook. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »
MSJBBQ, that plate looks delicious.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
Hi MSJ
it looks good to me .
the  remarks are my opinion only .

i will first cure  it (safety ) or if not just do it on a very  cold day (under 41f) .

Here are my questions:

1. The smoke flavor was only very mild. Maybe I am too used to my smoked ribs on my ECB. Wife said it was a "hint", but kind of wanted more. Maybe I am asking too much for the tube. Wife said she would do it this way again.

For good smoking flavour you need to cold smoke for  longer time  or stronger flavour wood 

2.I understand the safe zone temperature concept, but in Florida with warm temperatures, if I use the tube, I have to just use it. So far, on burgers and steaks, no problems. Any suggestions or comments?

fish go bad  quickly  i will be careful  .you got lucky so far   

3.Speaking of burgers and steaks, I have had the same results with only a very mild smoke taste. OK, but maybe I am asking too much and should only expect a mild smoke flavor.

if I want a smoky flavour i smoke it at 170 till  10 Degrees below my wanted IT and than i just give it a quick grill   
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
In order for the fish to get good smoke flavor you need to develop a pellicle(tacky surface) for the smoke to adhere to. Mesquite is very strong IMHO for fish. I like maple or pecan.

You can brine the fish with either a surface brine or a liquid brine for 4 to 5 hours in the fridge.

Then give it a good rinse and pat dry.

Place in front of a fan on a raised rack for a hour or two until the fish becomes glossy and the surface is tacky to the touch.

Cold smoke the fish as you did. I would try placing some trays of ice to keep the temps down. If it gets too warm over 2 hours then you can get sick from bacteria.

Then grill quickly on high heat.

Also if you allow the fish to refrigerate overnight after cold smoking then grill the next day the smoke flavor will increase and mellow. This allows the smoke to make it's way further into the meat instead of just on the surface.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:13:00 PM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »
... what muebe said.

Another good wood for salmon is alder

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »
Thanks guys!

Good info.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
 Great suggestions. I find with the amazen you have to watch your wind direction. Based on your pictures I would have put the salmon on the left to draw smoke over the fish because that's the way the wind was blowing.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »
Great suggestions. I find with the amazen you have to watch your wind direction. Based on your pictures I would have put the salmon on the left to draw smoke over the fish because that's the way the wind was blowing.

Good point. I closed the lid on my RED, so I don't think the wind would effect it that much since it is an enclosed space.