Author Topic: Latest thoughts on my Cast Iron Cookware  (Read 95187 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Latest thoughts on my Cast Iron Cookware
« Reply #-1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Sep 21 2014

About 35 years ago when I started doing most of the cooking for the family my Mother in law gave me her old cast iron skillet, a #9 and probably an old Lodge. The inside was nice and milled smooth; I used it for years. I tried re-seasoning it without luck. If I had been more informed and knew how to re-season it I would probably still be using it. I either gave it away or threw it out.

I started using the new Teflon coated non-stick cook ware. It worked well but after a year or so no matter how well I treated it using only plastic utensils it would have scratches and eventually look like it was peeling. After the Teflon scare I would throw them out and get new; they were fairly cheap.

I bought a 10 inch scan pan skillet. They claimed it was some kind of hard ceramic and was guaranteed for life. It did work well for a little over a year and then it started sticking bad. I threw it out not wanting to go through the hassle to get my money back; even though I paid $90 for it.

I bought a good set of stainless and you had to know how to cook with it or things would stick easily. I still use all the pots and pans but not the skillets. I bought a 12 inch cast iron skillet with a lid to cook chicken outdoors on my gas burner. I remembered how good my Mother in law’s chicken was done in a cast iron skillet. I think I used it once then gave it to my neighbor for his son in law to use camping out. Years later when my neighbor died his wife gave the skillet back to me, but it was a mess. I put it in my shed to store.

After I retired 11 years ago I was cooking outdoors more in the summer using my gas grill and a gas burner. I got the old 12 inch skillet out and read up on cleaning and re-seasoning old cast iron. I had cleaned some clay bake ware for a friend in my self-cleaning oven and it came out looking like new so I got the idea to try to clean the cast iron skillet the same way. I ran it through a cycle and it looked nice.

I had found a 6 step method for re-seasoning cast iron with flax seed oil.
1.   Wipe a thin coat of oil on the skillet and then wipe it all off. There will still be a thin coat of oil there.
2.   Place it in the oven at 500 deg. As soon as it reaches 500 deg. let set for a half hour and then turn off the oven. Let cool down completely before removing.
3.   Repeat this 6 times waiting at least 12 hours in between.

I could not find flax seed oil; it has a short shelf life so not many places carry it and it is expensive. I did some more research on oils and decided to use grape seed oil, it has a high smoke point, no taste, is easy to find and reasonably priced. Using it and the above procedure gave my 12 inch skillet and lid a nice black color.

Last fall I bought an old Wapak skillet. The Wapak cast iron ware was hollow ware with a smoother finish and lighter weight than the new stuff being made. I researched it and know it is at least 80 years old. It was so dirty you would not want to just wash with soap and water and use.

I ran it through my self- cleaning oven and re-seasoned it with the 6 step method. It came out looking almost new! I used the 12 inch Lodge a couple of times but it is too large for my normal cooking. I use the Wapak skillet. I would use it more but it has a slight bulge in the bottom and does not set flat on my glass top range. I use it mainly in the oven, especially to bake cornbread.
Over the last 12 years I have collected some new Lodge Cast Iron Ware; a 9 inch skillet, a 10 ½ inch chicken friar with lid, a 5 quart Dutch oven with lid, and a small bean pot with lid. A lot of members here have said they don’t like Lodge’s seasoning so they remove and re-season. For me that’s too much work so I do a one- step seasoning in the oven and use it. I have found it gets better with use.

With any new cast iron or re-seasoned the first thing I cook in it is a batch of bacon. Then I try to not use any acid based ingredients like tomatoes until I have used it a while. I don’t use the cast iron to store the food after cooking but try to clean it as soon as I can.  I clean it all with hot water and a brush. I just found that the new scotch blue pads work well; it is non-scratching and will not take any of the seasoning off; but it will clean any stubborn food better than the brush will. If there is a lot of food sticking in the pan I use the brush first and then the blue scotch pad. They clean up well with very little effort. After washing I wipe a very thin coat of the grape seed oil on with a paper towel and then store it.

When I get one back out to cook I always use a little oil. I use mostly all extra light olive oil from a bottle or a spray can. On occasion I do like to use some bacon grease and butter too.

If you are one that does not like the slightly rough texture of the Lodge skillets just think about it lets more oil is in contact with what you are cooking so it should work better than a completely smooth surface. I like it and have good luck with it.

After Lodge came out with their new carbon steel skillets I bought a 10 inch to try. I like it and also bought a 12 inch. I think they cook and clean up as easy as the cast iron and are a lot lighter to use.
I had first bought a cheap import carbon steel to try and after a short time it warped a little. The Lodges are a little thicker and after using at least a year they still set flat.

So now the Lodge carbon steel skillets I use on a regular basis for most all of my cooking in skillets.

I am no expert on cast iron; this is just what I have learned and what works for me; if you have a way that works for you use it.

I just thought this may be of help to some of you. Cast iron does not need a guarantee, if you don’t drop it and break it; it will outlast you! I have kept my cast iron pretty clean and it still looks in new condition.
If you get to where there is too much guck in one don’t fret. Simply use some elbow grease and clean it with steel wool or sandpaper then do a 1 or 2 step seasoning and it should be like new. An easy way is to run it through your self-cleaning oven. Then I would go through the 6 step seasoning again.

Over the years I have probably thrown out at least 6 of the cheaper non-stick skillets. If this is true for most families just think of the energy and land fill space that would have been saved. We have had the perfect non-stick cook ware for at least 100 years and forgot about it!

I know this is long and a lot of the info I have posted before but it is updated and think there is some good info here all in one post. I hope some will find it useful.

Lodge Skillet

Wapak skillet
Before cleaning and re-seasoning

After

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:11:46 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Re: Latest thoughts on my Cast Iron Cookware
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »
Don-- Thank you for all of that information!

I went out and bought myself a Lodge 10 1/2" skillet to start out with, instead of those little ones made in China that I'd originally bought.  I used coconut oil and seasoned it for an hour last night and let it cool in the oven.   (Actually I just realized I forgot it in the oven too!)  :) 

Stoked to start cooking with it!  :)  Have appreciated everyone's tips and advice so far. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
Great info, Don.  I do have a couple of Cast Iron skillets and (I believe) a chicken fryer, but do not use them very often.  I don't use them on my Webers, just too much work to sauté some onions and peppers, or a couple of overeasy eggs.  I did use them when I had a gasser, but that's long gone now.

I do have a set of "Emeril" sauté pans.  They are some kind of Hard Anodized Nonstick surface.  I keep them out of the dishwasher and they last about 18-24 months, depending on how much I use them.  The smallest one gets the most use, so it's usually the first to go.

But, since they have a lifetime warranty, I just take them back to the store and swap them out as needed.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
Great info Don!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Don O

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
Thank you Don.  Always a pleasure to read what you have to say as it is very informative.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
Looking good Don..I have a Wapak just like yours with the heat ring around the outside, My mother in law gave it to me before she died..she only fried potatoes in it and it's perfect. she made the best fried taters. Hang on to that pan.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
Great info Don, thanks for taking the time to post it. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Latest thoughts on my Cast Iron Cookware
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
Great post SD
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:28:12 PM »
Enjoyed the post and your cleaning and curing method.

I dont think cast will ever make it back,the new generations are wally world mindset of cheap disposable things.2 of our 4 kids,50/50 CI or new wave carp.The ones who dont use CI think its too hard to maintain.First time BIL saw ours in action,its all he has talked about since.

Kat,do a couple bacon cooks in it,then wipe dry with only a light oil film and give it an oven treatment after first couple cooks.You will be pleased,and Im one who seasons over the Lodge seasoning which personally I like.You will LOOOOOVVVVEEEE your Lodge,2 of my favorites are the bread pans and the biscuit tray

Ive done bacon,coconut and grapeseed cures,each has had so so or spectacular successes,I like bacon overall best just because.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
Great post.
I seasoned my first lodge skillet. Then I bought a second skillet, washed it and started cooking it it without seasoning first.
I have 7 skillets now, never seasoned them. I just used a tad bit more fat during my first few cooks, made sure it warmed my heart up pretty good before cooking.

I don't touch any Teflon cookware.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline nylic76

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
I enjoyed your post.  I just restored/re-seasoned some cast iron but the skillets didn't turn out as well as yours.  My dutch oven is really nice but it had less rust than the skillets.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:59 PM »
Don, thank you for a very informative post! This should be a "sticky".

I do like my Lodge CI pans - especially the large (17") pan - perfect for frying tacos. I have moved to using carbon steel skillets more than CI. A bit lighter, smoother and for me better results. But when I want to go from stove to oven or for breads and such - I really like the CI.

Thank you for the post.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »
Excellent post, Don - I was passing through Darby Montana a few months ago, and saw some Griswold cast iron.  I saw that it was made in USA, but did not know if it was the "good kind".  At home, I did my homework and found that it indeed was collectible - went back and sadly it was already gone.  I should have purchased it - a 12-inch for $29 - kicking myself

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
PZ,what a miss!

Ive done the electrolysis restore method,that cleans like you wouldnt believe,all over youtube.Thought I did a thread,but alas didnt.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
Excellent post, Don - I was passing through Darby Montana a few months ago, and saw some Griswold cast iron.  I saw that it was made in USA, but did not know if it was the "good kind".  At home, I did my homework and found that it indeed was collectible - went back and sadly it was already gone.  I should have purchased it - a 12-inch for $29 - kicking myself
Kick yourself again PZ  ;) I can't say anything though. When I bought the old Wapak the guy selling them also had one the same size that had Koneta on it. He said he thought the Koneta one was made by Wapak too being the last part of the cities name but said the Antique dealer in town told him it was made in NY. I bought the Wapak and passed on the Koneta. Later research said it was Wapak's effort to make a cheaper one to compete with the new aluminum stuff before going out of business. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/