Author Topic: Americana Tour - 2015, Part 1  (Read 2670 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Americana Tour - 2015, Part 1
« Reply #-1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »
My wife and I have visited all 50 states.  Now when we travel domestically, we target a state or states to go back to so we can hit the highlights or lowlights we may have missed.  This trip was centered around a three day seminar I was to attend in Ames, IA.  We left NC early so we could catch a few highlights in KY on our way to Iowa.  Our intention was to cover Iowa and Nebraska primarily on this trip. 

My wife is a retired HS Guidance Counsellor.  We still drive by any colleges we happen to pass.  On this trip we attempted to see UK in Lexington, KY.  With so much construction going on in and around the university, we will have to go back another day to see the KY.  We did manage to drive around four other campuses, the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa State University in Ames, the University of Nebraska in Lincoln and the University of Missouri in Columbia.  All really nice campuses.

After stopping in Lexington to see the University (maybe next trip) we stopped at a needlework store for my wife.  This is one of her hobbies, so we stop at needlework stores whenever we travel.  You may have seen some of her work with the Alabama sampler she did for Dee.  From there we drove to Louisville through some of the most beautiful country.  We passed horse barns that were nicer looking than a lot of places I have lived.  We stopped for the night there.  After dinner, we drove around and found a really interesting little bar (the Bacon Bar) in Jeffersonville, KY. 

You know I had to stop.  My wife waited in the car while I went in to see what this place was all about.  They cook their own meats on their smoker.  It smelled like heaven outside.  They make their own rubs and sauces and use some of their smoked bacon to infuse several brands of bourbon.  I wished I hadn’t eaten.  If I ever go through that area, I want to stop and enjoy a meal.  I called Tee to tell him about this place.  I have the owner’s card and he will be in touch with them. 

Our first stop in Iowa was Davenport.  We had seen some interesting old homes on one of the HGTV shows.  We were a bit disappointed to not see any really old Victorian-style houses.  On our way to Iowa City we passed the World’s Largest Truck Stop on Iowa 80.

Our next target of opportunity was Herbert Hoover’s birthplace.  We stopped and toured around his home which is still there today.  Not very big by any standards.  I would have a difficult time staying there today.

Our next stop was Iowa City to see the University of Iowa.  We enjoyed lunch at a local restaurant right off campus in the downtown area.  Good burger, but nothing to brag about.

Our next stop was Waterloo.  My wife wanted to go see where the Sullivan Brothers had lived.  The town has honored them with 5 Sullivan Brothers Convention Center. 

We found where their house used to be.  It is now a park dedicated to them.  In case you don’t know who the Sullivan Brothers were, I’ll give you a very brief bio.  They were five brothers who joined the Navy during WWII and served on the same ship together.  The ship was sunk in a battle in 1942 and all were lost.  Their lives were memorialized in the 1944 film, The Sullivan Brothers.  As a result of their deaths, the Navy changed it’s policy to not allow siblings to serve on the same ship together.

We made another side trip to Ackley, IA.  This was the birthplace of my daughter-in-laws grandparents.  Small town, not too much to see.  However, I did come across one picture that was worth taking.  Grumpy’s Bar.  There are more than a few of us on this forum that fit right in at that bar. 

We had to stop at the Amana Colonies.  Interesting town.  Lots to see.  In fact, if you are really into that kind of town, you almost have to spend the night in one of their B&B’s.  I’m not that into it, so we spent a fairly long day there.  We stopped at a first rate quilting shop.  My wife doesn’t quilt, but her sister does.  I ended up taking pictures and texting them to her so she could decide if she wanted us to pick up any supplies.  After running my batteries down on my phone and approaching $100 in supplies, we finally left there.  Enjoyed lunch in a German restaurant (the Ronneburg Restaurant) in town.  My wife had her favorite, brats and sauerkraut.  I had a pork cutlet sandwich that was delicious.  I did take a picture of their pickled ham recipe.  Outstanding and looks easy to make.

We drove back to Cedar Rapids next.  This town was amazing.  There is a Czech-Slovak Museum that should not be missed.  A wonderfully constructed museum.  The building was flooded by a storm back in 2008.  They moved the building to it’s current location and re-opened it in 2012.  During the move they did not break so much as a brick or any windows in the building.  The entire process of moving the building is documented on film.  Quite a feat.  They also moved an original Czech pioneer home next to the main museum.  This was a much easier task.  I saw a Czech Proverb in the museum that I just had to post here.  I like their style.

We went to the local Czech bakery in town and sampled some wonderful pastries.  That was in lieu of lunch.

Next up was Ames.  We arrived several days before my seminar was slated to start.  Our intention was to do some sightseeing, with Ames as our base.  Since we had been to Lubbock, TX and had seen the Buddy Holly statue there, we decided that we needed to go to Clearlake and check out the town and the famous crash site.

The original Surf Ballroom burned down many years ago.  It was located right on the lake front.  The new Surf Ballroom is in a different location, about a block off the lake.  Here are a few photos around the Surf.

We just had to find the crash site and visit it, too.  The farmer that owns the field where the crash occurred has allowed visitor access to the site.  The access to the site is marked with a pair of giant black rimmed glasses.  It is a long hike back to the actual crash site, and it was hot that day.  We did it anyway.  Boy did I need a cold beer after that.

After the seminar was over we headed for Omaha, NE.  Another target of opportunity crossed our paths.  The  Museum of Danish America in Elkhorn, IA.  A little off the beaten path, but worth the stop. They had a special exhibit that piqued my interest, a SKOL exhibit.  Lots of history about the various Danish drinks and drinking.  I took two pictures of recipes for aquavit.  Might have to try these, too.

This concludes Part 1 of our trip.  Nebraska and the return trip home.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:21:47 AM »
Wow that looks like fun. If your travels ever include South Dakota let me know. As a lifelong resident I could give you some advice on what's worth seeing and what's a tourist trap, because there are plenty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Americana Tour - 2015, Part 1
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
I am so copying that Czech proverb sign.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
What a great trip! I lived in Des Moines for a few years and had operations throughout Iowa, you brought back a lot of great memories! The only place you missed was Flannigan's - an Irish pub in Des Moines - when we meet at a gathering I will share some stories. Thanks for sharing your trip!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »
Wow. Hoovers house was no bigger than a minute.  When I saw the crash site, I remember that Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that flight......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Some great photos Art; looks like you and the wife had a good time!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
Wow that looks like fun. If your travels ever include South Dakota let me know. As a lifelong resident I could give you some advice on what's worth seeing and what's a tourist trap, because there are plenty!!

My wife has two questions for you about her favorite SD places.  First, she loves the Wall Drug Store.  Is it a "trap" or worthwhile?  Second, she also loves the Corn Palace in Mitchell.  "Trap" or worthwhile?  We both visited in 1998.  She visited them in 1970, also.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Awesome looking trip and great photos Art!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »

My wife has two questions for you about her favorite SD places.  First, she loves the Wall Drug Store.  Is it a "trap" or worthwhile?  Second, she also loves the Corn Palace in Mitchell.  "Trap" or worthwhile?  We both visited in 1998.  She visited them in 1970, also.

Art

I just  did both last month. Both are a trap and worth while. Corn palace is under construction. The Badlands are better than both.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
I'm with Pappy on this - if you are going through - stop, they are fun, but not out of the way fun. If you are near the Black Hills - check out the Cosmos - a blast!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tailfeathers

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

Art

I just  did both last month. Both are a trap and worth while. Corn palace is under construction. The Badlands are better than both.
Exactly what I was going to say. I'm not big on Wall Drug and the Corn Palace is basically just a big building with some onion shaped domes on it. They glue grain to the building to create murals. There is an old Native American settlement on the edge of Mitchell that is being excavated by archeologists that is a much more interesting way to spend your time if in that area. Mt Rushmore is worth seeing if you never have, but for my 2 cents I think Custer State Park, the Badlands and Spearfish Canyon are the three best attractions SD has to offer.

auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »

Art

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm not big on Wall Drug and the Corn Palace is basically just a big building with some onion shaped domes on it. They glue grain to the building to create murals. There is an old Native American settlement on the edge of Mitchell that is being excavated by archeologists that is a much more interesting way to spend your time if in that area. Mt Rushmore is worth seeing if you never have, but for my 2 cents I think Custer State Park, the Badlands and Spearfish Canyon are the three best attractions SD has to offer.

Devil's Tower is not too far out of the way and pretty impressive.
Member #

Offline tailfeathers

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
Oh and right now Sturgis if you are a motorcycle type. Avoid it at all costs if you aren't though! If you plan a Black Hills vacation you would do well to check whether the rally will be happening during your stay because everything is 3X more expensive and if you aren't a biker you won't enjoy yourself much. Supposed to draw a million people this year for the 75th anniversary rally.

auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »

Art

My family had a great time at Bear Country USA.......don't judge me
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tailfeathers

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »

Art

My family had a great time at Bear Country USA.......don't judge me
Hey when my kids were young we went to the Hills every year. Bear Country, Cosmos, Reptile Gardens, Flintstones etc. Always enjoyed ourselves. Now I would rather enjoy the magnificent scenery and wildlife. Not knocking the rest of it at all. Funny thing is that what my kids remember about those trips with the most fondness is feeding the chipmunks on the Needles highway.

auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer