Author Topic: Bacon Cheeseburger Soup & Fried Green Tomatoes  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup & Fried Green Tomatoes
« Reply #-1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:33:16 PM »
Sep 03 2015

More crazy weather here in Ohio, Usually in September we start getting cooler weather. The past few days it has been 85 deg. and today was 90. It is not really soup weather but that is what I fixed for supper.

Cheeseburger soup has been around for a while; I love cheeseburgers but had never tried the soup. I found a recipe that added bacon to and I had some jowl bacon to use. I don’t have any more garden tomatoes that will ripen for BLT’s so might as well try the soup.

I did find two green tomatoes that were good to fry and thought they would be good with the soup. I made the soup in my CI Dutch oven outside on my gas burner. I had my bacon cut up and the veggies all diced and ready to go. I started at 5:30 and figured on eating at 6:30 but it was a little after 7:00 before I got it all done. I didn’t figure that too well.

I had just over a pound of bacon and diced half of it about ¼ inch wide to use for topping. I fried two large slices to use as bacon wafers in the soup. The other half I diced 1 inch wide for in the soup. The jowl bacon is a little fattier so I removed most of the fat not per the recipe. I also had ground chuck to use instead of lean beef. I omitted the jalapeno and cayenne pepper too

I did the soup all but the cheese outside then took inside on a low burner while I fried the green tomatoes. I had dipped the slices in seasoned flour, egg and then Panko crumbs and in the fridge a couple hours to set up. I had the skillet right this time and got the green tomatoes fried well. I had added bacon grease to the skillet to fry them in.

When the green tomatoes were done I added two cups of the shredded triple cheddar to the soup to melt. I served the soup with some rye croutons I had made, some bacon bits and the bacon wafer.  The wife and I both really liked the soup. I had figured it would be a onetime deal but I will make this again. It will taste good this winter.

Broth, cheese, cream and veggies

Bacon for the topping

Bacon wafers

Bacon for the soup

Ground chuck added

Veggies added

Broth added

Cream and flour added

Smokin Don

Recipe:

Cheeseburger soup w/bacon
Ingredients:
10 strips Bacon
1lb Lean Ground Beef
1 Large Onion
1 cup Carrots
1 cup Celery
2 Jalapenos (optional)
½ tbsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 L Beef Stock
1 ½ cups Half and Half Cream
4 tbsp All Purpose Flour
LOTS Old Cheddar, I used two cups shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste
*Optional: Sour Cream
Directions
1. Almost every soup begins with the aromatic Holy Grail: onions, celery and carrots. When these are cooked down, they take a kind back seat to enhance the rest of the flavors (whatever they may be) and allow them to be the star of the show. So we need to dice these things up first. Go ahead and cut up your jalapeno, as well.
2. Cut your bacon into one inch pieces and fry them until crispy in the bottom of a large pot or Dutch oven. Once crispy, remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon.
3. Into the remaining bacon fat, fry your jalapenos until soft, then toss in your ground beef. Break it up with a wooden spoon and keep stirring it. You’ll notice the ground beef will remove everything that was stuck to the bottom of the pan. This is a good thing; it’s soaked up all of that gorgeous bacon flavor.
4. Once the ground beef has been browned, toss in your aromatic trio – the carrots, celery and onions. Let these sweat until they’ve softened up and the onions are completely translucent. Add your cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper.
5. Toss in all of your beef stock. If you think there is not enough liquid, you can always add some hot water. It should be sufficiently soupy. I know that’s vague, but how else do you describe it? Let this simmer for at least 20 minutes. The longer, the better.
6. When you feel all the flavors have melded together as they should, toss in your cream and stir. Next, in a separate container (preferably something with a tight fitting lid) put your flour and about twice as much water. Mix or shake this up vigorously to create an even mixture, then pour this into the soup to thicken it up. If you just put flour directly into the soup, the flour will clump up and the soup will not look very appetizing, with white flour chunks floating everywhere. I learned this the hard way a few years ago.
7. Bring everything back to a boil until the soup is sufficiently thickened. You can always add more cream if you like it creamier, more flour (pre-mixed in water, of course) if you like it thicker, or more water/beef stock if you like it thinner.
8. CHEESE! Shred it, and add it. All of it. I used that whole block pictured with the rest of the ingredients. There is never too much cheese in this recipe. I recommend taking it off the heat, and adding the cheese at the last moment. The soup should be sufficiently hot to melt the cheese readily, but not boiling. That leads to some wacky textures.
9. Plate it, top it with a dollop of sour cream. Don’t forget those bacon pieces that we saved right from the beginning ; throw those on top as well – way better than crackers!
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Bacon Cheeseburger Soup & Fried Green Tomatoes
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
One large bowl and three of those little beauties plz.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »
That is sine good looking soup.  Thanks for the recipe
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:59:08 AM »
SD, looks delicious. Bookmarked. Thanks for sharing.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Yes Don that is a nice looking soup! Nice cook buddy! Now slide me a bowl of all that flavor.....please! And a couple tomatoes too!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »
Don..already bookmarked..for the soup..love soups anytime,  I made fried green maters the other day..got 2 more to cook..love them, made freid green mater sammiches..good cook.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
Don, there is just no stopping you..either out at the grill or in the kitchen...you are rockin it my friend  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
Don, there is just no stopping you..either out at the grill or in the kitchen...you are rockin it my friend  :) :)

My thoughts exactly.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »
Deliciousness! Bookmarked!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
Hot weather or not.  I could hammer a bowl or two of that goodness.  Your fried green tomatoes look fantastic, too.

Art

Bookmarked.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »
I got this book marked.. It will be perfect at the camp this year.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
I love soup - will be trying this one for sure. Sounds great!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
Out of the park with this one Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
I'm not much of a soup fan, but you had me at bacon cheeseburger!!!!

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
I've only got one word . . . ..Bookmarked!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC