Author Topic: I need a lil advice.  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
I need a lil advice.
« Reply #-1 on: April 21, 2022, 10:07:37 AM »
Any bakers out there?
I have been making a lot of Artesian bread lately, and I use parchment paper inside of a cast iron enameled 3qt dutch oven. It comes out perfect with a lil tweaking of the recipe by me.
my question is... can I substitute pink butchers paper for the parchment?  I use it on meat, it is not coated. just wondering. I have a big roll of the pink butchers paper.
Thanks in advance.
Pammie

Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: I need a lil advice.
« on: April 21, 2022, 02:31:44 PM »
I bake a fair amount of bread just on my pizza stone and adding ice cubes to the bottom of the oven before adding the bread.  I would think the paper would be a bad idea as it absorbs moisture and might cause the bread to stick especially in a closed environment as a dutch oven.  If you try it I would try it in the manor I bake just on a pizza stone as a test then work your way to testing it the dutch oven.

I do love the dutch oven method for making bread, however I only have rounds and my wife likes loaves, so the boss wins.

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply...I put the bread on parchment right before it hits the oven.. covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 15 more minutes.
What the parchment does is make it easy to remove from the 450º so it stops cooking. The crust is beautiful and I make it in loaves or rounds...I really like the rounds The crust is pretty crusty and I don't mind that. It makes great best damn garlic bread. I cut it in 1" section and melt butter and gahhhlick over it.  Then add  some parmesan cheese and herbs before it's' done. I will try the butcher's paper and see what happens.
Thanks
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 04:53:33 PM »
I will try the butcher's paper and see what happens.

Pink butcher paper should be okay up to about 450oF or so; I've read it may impart an "off taste" after that (like around 500o).

In any event keep your fire extinguisher handy.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 10:21:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply...I put the bread on parchment right before it hits the oven.. covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 15 more minutes.
What the parchment does is make it easy to remove from the 450º so it stops cooking. The crust is beautiful and I make it in loaves or rounds...I really like the rounds The crust is pretty crusty and I don't mind that. It makes great best damn garlic bread. I cut it in 1" section and melt butter and gahhhlick over it.  Then add  some parmesan cheese and herbs before it's' done. I will try the butcher's paper and see what happens.
Thanks

definitely interested in hearing results.  I like rounds too, but there are more "middle" slices with with loaf.  We like making a compound butter (garlic, herbs, pepper, olive oil) then grilling the bread or if using the oven using the broil setting (upside down grill!)
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759