Author Topic: Ok guys, talk me off of the ledge here! - Too Late :P  (Read 38025 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Ok guys, talk me off of the ledge here! - Too Late :P
« Reply #-1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:02:42 PM »
I once not long ago was looking at muebe's posts of his uuni pizzas and I shrugged it off. Well, idle hands and all of that........it's been on my brain! Keep in mind I just dropped some serious scratch on that dang blasted KBQ. The wife still ticked off at that I am sure ( Steph, if you are you reading this don't feel obligated to reply :P )

I know the Uuni is a far cry from $1500.00 but still, she never likes it when I buy new cookers! NEVER! Even though she loves the food off of them (KBQ is winning her over).

My main question is this - Do you any you that have the Uuni and also have or had a Kamado think that the Uuni makes better pies than that made on a Kamado? Steph and I can make pretty mean pizzas on our kegs but it takes a LONG time for the keg to come up to temp with the plate setter in there and also burn clean. We like to let the Keg burn for at least an hour to get the stone nice and hot AND to burn off any bad smoke that may impart a bad taste into the pizza. Some people like a smokey pizza, I'm not looking for that flavor. I like wood fired pizzas but not a smoked out one, lol.

If the Uuni makes a superior product, I think I would like it as it comes up to temp SO fast.

So, either talk me off the ledge here or talk me into it. All opinions are welcomed!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:17:16 PM by RG »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Ok guys, talk me off of the ledge here!
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
I don't have a keg but I have the original Uuni and have eaten from the Uuni II at one of the Fall gatherings..It heats up and gets so hot..pizzas are done in minutes,,,and are fabulous..can make bunches of them, just have them ready.  I have a metal pizza peel with a handle that fits right into it for placing and pulling pizzas. just sayin.     .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:23:37 PM »
Thanks Pam for that answer! If someone has made/eaten pizza from a Kamado (Keg, Egg, Kamado Joe, Vision, Akorn, Primo, whatever!) and a Uuni, that's the comparison I'd like to hear. It may be that such a user does not exist and it's up to ME to do the hard work, lol :P

I am willing to take one for the team!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Sorry I have never had a pizza from a Kamado so I can't be of much help. But just some quick advice is that the Uuni is really best for thin or close to thin crust pizzas because it cooks from the top and bottom. Otherwise by the time the thick crust is cooked the top of the pizza will be literally charcoal. There is flame traveling just above the top of the pizza. You can par bake the crust for a few without toppings and then add toppings and cook more.

I did get the new baking stone for it and it worked well.

If you like to make thick crust or deep dish pizzas then the Uuni might not be what you want.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »
Thanks Mike, I hoped you'd chime in. I do love a thinner pizza as well as thicker ones and pan pizzas. My new thing I like is Neapolitan style. Simple yet delicious! I am still looking into the Uuni, more research is needed for me to pull the trigger.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
The Uuni is the closest thing I have had to the taste of a real wood fired pizza from a wood fired pizza oven. I can tell you that for sure.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »
The Uuni is the closest thing I have had to the taste of a real wood fired pizza from a wood fired pizza oven. I can tell you that for sure.
Muebe is right, had some pizza from a Uuni at the GA cookout and it was wonderful.   Had just the right amount of smoke flavor and the pizzas cook very fast.

Would love to buy one but right now there is no way  :( :( 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »
Go for it.  8)

When most folk around here on on the ledge, we have found it is better to give em a little nudge  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »
RG Come on "a leopard can't change its spots"  You know you are going to buy one......So why wait...........Just jump into the pool ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D 

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
RG Come on "a leopard can't change its spots"  You know you are going to buy one......So why wait...........Just jump into the pool ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

I'm going for the Blackstone, it's not wood fired but it makes great Pizza!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:28 PM »

Once you have had REAL Napoli style pizza...I can't  be happy with gas cooked. Just offering my opinion here... UUNI....YOU will be amazed att eh portability and simplicity. It is the only real solution for guys that like to pack light - and go deep into he woods or off grid and be able to have a quality pizza, or a Pittsburgh seared steak at a primitive campsite.
And- it is just as adept at staying at home. It is all stainless exterior - and just plain fun to operate.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »

Once you have had REAL Napoli style pizza...I can't  be happy with gas cooked. Just offering my opinion here... UUNI....YOU will be amazed att eh portability and simplicity. It is the only real solution for guys that like to pack light - and go deep into he woods or off grid and be able to have a quality pizza, or a Pittsburgh seared steak at a primitive campsite.
And- it is just as adept at staying at home. It is all stainless exterior - and just plain fun to operate.

I must say I have had great, Great, great pizza in NY city from a gas oven That being said I love the coal fired pizza from CT. I would say it is a tie in my book. I have had very good pizza that is wood fired  so I guess I say there can be great pizza made all ways.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
For me - there is a distinct flavor and aroma difference in gas fired vs charcoal or wood.  One is only about the pizza itself, and the other is about the pizza + the added "old world", tradition and outdoor cooked flavors.

And - like you, I can enjoy both. But, having handled the various gas units, eating some great pizza from them  and owning an UUNI...I love the flavor and aroma of the UUNI pizza, not to mention the simplicity, speed, and lightweight of the UUNI. You just can't beat it for efficiency. ONE handful of pellets every 4-5 minutes... and you can maintain 950F.
It weighs very little, and resides under another grille Doesn't wrench my back to ring it out to use. And - because I have a "few"( ;) ;) ;)) pellets around all of the time...NO worries about gas. At least...not before I eat the pizza..... :o ::) ??? 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:54 AM »

:( :( This IS true :'(

I guess I am that transparent. :-[

I bought it  ::) :-[ :P

Oh well, now it's time to make some dang pizza! It'll be here in a couple of days thanks to Amazon Prime! I ordered some Caputo "OO" while I was at it. Pizza this weekend is in the forecast! (Maybe Sooner!)

BTW - I had to outdo you by 1 emoticon, lol!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »
Well congrats!

And when you have questions we will be here to help. There is a little bit of a learning curve but with your cooking prowess I am sure your first pie will be perfect!

And remember corn meal is your friend for getting those pies to slide off the peel.

Also when it comes to toppings less is better. No need to pile on. It adds weight and the top will get burned as the middle is undercooked.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC