Author Topic: Gatherings  (Read 16913 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Gatherings
« Reply #-1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:43:19 PM »
 I certainly understand it would be hard to hit dead center for everyone.
  Its difficult to pick a place for a Gathering because we are so spread out ... I mean we could go to Lebanon or Potwin, Kansas. That's center right?    And we would all love to see everyone all at once. Wow , what a great time we would have if most of us could be there!
 If I ever win the lottery I will try and make that happen!!! 

I have been looking at places for a while.  Its tricky to find just the right thing. The location is important to help accommodate folks from a distance.
 Then the Ohio gatherings started and Cook out for Bremmer. So I backed off thinking maybe another one might not be popular enough.
I would love to go to Ohio. So far things just haven't worked out for me to do that (Yet). 
 So,  I have visited a few Alabama State parks to see their setups anytime I drive near one.  Joe Wheeler SP stands out. Pretty much anything you like in fact. Lodges ,Cabins, Chalets, Golf, Boats, camping. And the location in North Alabama may be helpful to some members that previously could not make the trip. See what you think and keep in mind this is just a starting point.
 http://www.stateparks.com/joe_wheeler_state_park_in_alabama.html

The beauty of a park like this is it could be any size group from really small to really large.  And there cool stuff for spouses that might not come otherwise.

Then, There's always Tommy's house...   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: Gatherings
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
Now that we have major medical problems sort of behind us we would love to make a gathering.
Only stipulation for us would be no camping as I had my share of that in 35 years of Army. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:20:31 PM »
I have many in CT. all the time....with 100% attending. I have never missed one yet ??? ??? ??? ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »
I still love the Augusta gatherings..if it was fixed up some..I met a lot of you there..the Ohio gatherings are perfect for me, only 2 hours away...the Augusta gathering was a 12 hour drive for us. Is there anything North of Atlanta or Tennessee? That would work for us...still a 10 hr drive tho.  just thinking.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »
This would be a good location for me, less than two hours from home. It has cabins and cottages and it says they have a lodge, I wonder if the lodge has rooms like the other state park lodges.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »
Since only one or two show up when I host, I'm with Sav, Pam, and 2P on doing something in Georgia (preferably closer to Savannah than Augusta) as long as it's the weekend of May 12-14 next year (when I'm scheduled to be there to visit family). I obviously won't be bringing cooking gear but since I'll be spending the two prior weeks in New Orleans I'll be glad to provide "gift packs" of real andouille from La Place (probably Wayne Jacobs) and pralines from Southern Candymaker to attendees. Except Cajunate and LA - they'll have to make do with macadamia nuts.

I remember Nepas had one in that area when Krystal "owned" an RV park - maybe he or HOS have some site ideas.

And if you've never been to Savannah you should plan to spend some time both there and in Charleston - arguably the last two remaining southern cities.

ROAD TRIP!!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
 Midway to as many as we can that might be interested.  That is the goal. 
 I choose Joe Wheeler as a suggestion  because  it has so many great features.  There is a lot to do for everybody.   As for location, Its close to the interstate and pretty near Tennessee. I went as far north as possible of places I know so far.

If there is interest we need suggestions for places...

The main thing is to see who's interested.   If we could get a list of those people we could get a good geographical area to find a place. 

And hey if only a couple people want to do it....   

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »
Since only one or two show up when I host, I'm with Sav, Pam, and 2P on doing something in Georgia (preferably closer to Savannah than Augusta) as long as it's the weekend of May 12-14 next year (when I'm scheduled to be there to visit family). I obviously won't be bringing cooking gear but since I'll be spending the two prior weeks in New Orleans I'll be glad to provide "gift packs" of real andouille from La Place (probably Wayne Jacobs) and pralines from Southern Candymaker to attendees. Except Cajunate and LA - they'll have to make do with macadamia nuts.

I remember Nepas had one in that area when Krystal "owned" an RV park - maybe he or HOS have some site ideas.

And if you've never been to Savannah you should plan to spend some time both there and in Charleston - arguably the last two remaining southern cities.

ROAD TRIP!!

Yep that works too...
 Oh,  do they use sugar cane and pecan to smoke their andouille?  Just wondering.  I may need to swing in there soon and grab some. I think were headed over to see the bayou relatives soon.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 06:24:49 PM »
This would be a good location for me, less than two hours from home. It has cabins and cottages and it says they have a lodge, I wonder if the lodge has rooms like the other state park lodges.
They are really nice and I think they even have some premium rooms.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
We might want to look at Arkansas or Kentucky as possible "neutral ground" options...they are fairly easy to get to - for many....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
Us upper Midwest folks might be out of the mix here. Tennessee and Arkansas are quite the drive. ohio not so bad depending where your coming from. Just did SW Kanasas last week for work 6 hours onsite 28 hours driving there and back. Gets old after awhile....
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
Terry, Deb and I will be watching as this develops. 

Alabama State Parks are great places to meet...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!