Author Topic: Rib Quest  (Read 2179 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Re: Rib Quest
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »
It does my heart good to see ole Sparky cooking on a MAK again!

I cook bbs, spares and beef ribs. I no longer foil. Now its smoke and raise the temperature to 275F-300F to finish. For BBs, I smoke for 3 hours, then 275F for 1 hour. For spares, smoke 7 hours, then 275F for 60-90 minutes. I used to foil the BBs, but did not like all the juice in the bottom of the foil. I am much happier with the longer smoking times and the flavor that develops in the ribs.

Not much of a sauce guy. I like dry rubs & mustard. Have been known to paint the ribs with smoked honey, or melted jelly (peach or berry flavors) after I've pulled the ribs off while they are resting prior to cutting the racks a part.

For beef ribs---smoke at least 7 hours, then raise temp to 300F until tender. I use primarily Hawiian sea salt + black pepper and sometimes garlic powder on the beef ribs. Keep it pretty basic.  No complaints yet from any one at the table.

In the past,we've tried spritzing with Cherry Brandy. BAD IDEA!  Dang ribs scorched very badly. I have also misted them using 1/3 water, 1/3 whiskey and 1/3 apple juice.

Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee