Author Topic: 1st cook on my new Traeger Jr Elite  (Read 1954 times)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
1st cook on my new Traeger Jr Elite
« Reply #-1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
Finally bought a new grill.  I had to retire one of my Weber Kettles (lid handle came off).  I know I could fix it with some bolts, but it gives me a reason to buy a new grill.  I was looking at the Weber gas grills.  I wanted something that was quick and easy for grilling.  I was at Costco and the Traeger guy caught me looking and sold me one.  Got it for 350 with a free cover, which is nicer than I thought it would be.  Also threw in some chicken seasoning.  I bought a couple of ribeye steaks to try it out with.  After assembly and burning in for 45min, I put the steaks on.  They took longer to cook than I would have thought.  Not much in the way of a sear, and they kinda tasted like they were cooked in an oven.  I thought they would have more of a smokey taste to them.  I couldnt really taste any smoke.  I dont know if I did something wrong, or if I just need to season it some more.  Anyone have some tips for using this grill, feel free to advise. 

Thanks

Dave
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: 1st cook on my new Traeger Jr Elite
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »
Dave-
Treager invented the pellet grill - but until recently - made no real changes in their designs or at least, the technology. But, they do work well. They are known for not producing a strong smoke profile - and some come to like that balance, you may as well given some time to play with it more.

Now...if you really want to add some smoke flavor - get yourself an Amazen Smoker Tube - and pre-smoke ( cold smoke)  with it laying at the end of your grates furthest from the stack/vent. I will cold smoke chuck roasts for about 2 hours first - then kick on the pellet grill - and cook it.

There are some pellet grills that are known for producing a stronger smoke profile - but, now you can control that option...and it will only cost you an additional 30-40 bucks! SO you can really custom tailor you cooked food products better using the Amazen + your Traeger. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
Congrats on the new pellet grill/smoker.  I like to do steaks on my pellet grill too.  I usually run the grill at 165 degrees for the start of the cook.  The lower grill temp will create more smoke.  Then crank it up later in the cook.  Timing all depends on how thick the cut of meat so you have to play with that to find the balance you like.

Enjoy the grill - looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
I would also suggest that you look into the quality of your pellets. Be sure to get 100% hardwood pellets. Not at blend of some sort. @Smoker pete will have more info for you on that subject. I have noticed that I am able to use “stronger” woods in my pellet grill over off-sets or my old ugly drum smoker. I would never use Mesquite or Hickory in my UDS as the smoke flavor was too overpowering for me. However I can use those in my pellet grill for a great taste. You mentioned “like cooked in an oven” – That’s essentially what pellet grills are – Convection ovens with smoke. They work great for long cooks such as briskets and butts, but don’t sear as well for steaks, chops, wings, etc – For these meats that are traditionally “grilled” I opt to smoke on my pellet grill slow and low (around 225F) until rare, (120F internal temp for a steak) then sear on an iron skillet or over charcoal. (Reverse Sear).

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 04:22:17 PM »
I would recommend grill grates for when you want to sear. I remove the diffuser and the grease tray. Lay foil in the bottom of the barrel around the firepot. Put your cooking racks back in and set the grill grates right over the fire-pot. You will get one heck of a sear that way.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I am starting to look  different brands of pellets now.  I did my second cook yesterday.  Made some burgers and corn on the cob.  It came out real good, the kids asked for seconds.  When the 9yr old wants more, it must be good.  It is fun learning a new grills in's and out's.  Here are a couple of pics
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
Every journey begins with a first step. And - you have a lot of suggestions in this thread that will allow you to experiment some - and fine tune your methods to fit your individual taste. I think that is the best part ;). You got a new pit, and a lot of years of experience on LTBBQ - that will jump start you. So your walking journey....is now a full sprint 8).

All questions are valid, and valued. Just remember to have fun as you go. No such thing as a real failure, just some cooks that turn out better than others. I highly recommend that you start a notebook or use Evernote on your phone or tablet for your tweaking and tuning the pit and your methods.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:12:03 PM »
Great looking burgers and corn. :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
Congrats on the new Traeger. You're gonna love it.

Offline Pappymn

1st cook on my new Traeger Jr Elite
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »
Congrats on the new cooker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109