Author Topic: A Little Trip To NOLA  (Read 3064 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
A Little Trip To NOLA
« Reply #-1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »

I took my wife to NOLA for her birthday.  We had a really good time with some sightseeing, people watching and, of course, eating.  I decided to share some of the food we experienced.  These dishes may give you an inspiration for something to try at home, on your grill or smoker.
After arriving later than planned, we wanted something to eat.  We headed to the Oceana and had some crab cakes with crawfish and turtle soup.  Both were very good.

We liked this place so much, we went back for breakfast and had the St. James Crepe.  This was loaded with blue crab, shrimp, onions and cheese (they held out the green onion for my wife).  We split this crepe and neither one of us could finish our half.  Really good, but way too much food.

We headed to Jackson Square and walked around and shopped a bit before it was time to eat, again.  We went to Muriel’s and enjoyed a lighter lunch.  My wife had a gorgonzola torte and I had a bowl of gumbo.

My wife decided that she wanted some beef after we had eaten so much rich seafood already, so we went to Dickie Brennan’s Steak House.  No pictures here.  A steak is a steak.  Food was good, but I didn’t take any pictures.

The next day we ate a more normal breakfast.  Afterwards we went on a tour of NOLA.  Pretty amazing town.  I think the press is missing out on some good stories about what how the recovery is still going on and some of the things the people have done towards that effort.  For lunch we made our way back to Jackson Square and to the Central Grocery, home of the original muffaletta.  We shared half of one and then walked over to Café Du Monde for an order of their famous beignets.  Light, fluffy and covered in powdered sugar.  What’s not to like.

For dinner that night we headed to Emerill’s NOLA restaurant.  I enjoyed my 2nd Sazerac.  I could get used to drinking the occasional Sazerac.  We shared a Caesar salad with an anchovy vinaigrette and no egg.  Very, very good.  For dinner my wife had a bowl of Prince Edwards Island Mussels in a white wine sauce.  I enjoyed grilled shrimp and cheese grits with a special roasted red pepper BBQ sauce.  The shrimp were two full bites each and done to perfection.  For dessert we shared a dessert.  Profiteroles with homemade chocolate pecan ice cream, a berry sauce with what looked like little pearls.  These pearls were actually little pieces of puffed rice covered in white chocolate.  A really top notch dessert.

Our last day in NOLA involved more sightseeing.  After a quick sweet role and coffee, we headed to the World War II Museum.  If you go to NOLA, this is a very entertaining place to visit.  While we were there we had lunch at The American Sector, owned by John Besh.  We wanted to save room for dinner, so we ate a little lighter.  We shared a cheeseburger slider and fries.  These turned out to be bigger than we expected, but they were good.

After lunch we went to Harrah’s to do a little gambling.  We saw John Besh’s Steak restaurant located in Harrah’s.  We left there a little lighter in the wallet and headed back to our room to change and get ready for dinner at Commander’s Palace.  I had the best Sazerac of the trip.  Instead of a salad, I tried their Soups 1-1-1.  This is a demi serving of each of their three soups.  Their famous turtle soup takes three days to prepare and has twenty three spices in it.  Much better than the first turtle soup I tasted.  The second soup was their gumbo.  Also very good.  Their last soup was the Soup du Jour, smoked ham hock and potato soup.  I could have dined on any by themselves.  I did not get a picture of them.  You’ll have to trust me that they were all killer.  For dinner my wife ordered Brown Butter Seared Jumbo Sea Scallops.  They weren’t kidding when they used the word “jumbo”!  I ordered the Griddle Seared Gulf Fish which happened to be sea trout.  Both were really good.  One last dessert.  Actually two last desserts.  I decided that I wanted my own.  My wife ordered the Baked Kettle of European Chocolate and I ordered a freshly made Ponchatoula Strawberry Shortcake.  The desserts were out of this world.

There are so many good places to eat in NOLA.  The problem is deciding which one to go to next.  Thanks for checking out our food in NOLA.  Hope you get some ideas to try at home, and then share with the rest of us.

Art

MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: A Little Trip To NOLA
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Now that's a road trip!!    Looks like y'all ate well  ;)     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »

Nice!   We toured the WWII museum as well..    Well worth the hike.

Oceana breakfasts are one of our faves as well.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »
man, that St. James Crepe sure sounds like something I'd woof down in a heartbeat!

Thanks for all the pics that have now made me hungrier than you can imagine.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »
Check out the Oceana’s breakfast menu.  So many choices.  They serve a really big breakfast.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »

Yeah, no kidding...

I had the crawfish one.  Ooof.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
Man, if I had ate alll that the airline would have made me pay for two seats on the way home. We are way overdue for a trip to New Orleans, haven't been down there since before Katrina.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »
Two, with both of my daughters living , working & single in New Orleans we are there 15-20 weekends a year, if any one is planning on going let me know & a good chance of arranging to see you there!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
Those desserts look fabulous..my grandma made the beignets, Romanian style but the same thing with a different name. I can make them too..and the profiteroles..most excellent, but I do like the rice thingis covered in white chocolate..what a great idea..crunch and sweet too. I gotta go there. Thanks for the pics.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
Only 83 more days!

LA - First or second weekend? (Or are you ready for the big time and doing both?)
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
Art, Thanks so much for the effort in taking, posting the pictures and the narratives.  Very enlightening.  What was that orange lattice on the scallop made of?  Was that orange zest or peel?  How in the world was it done?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »
ART

You in the WHO DAT Club now

Nice road trip with the Mrs

Watch out Pat O

;D
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
Dee,
I asked about that lattice work.  They told me it was made from carrot.  I did not understand how they actually cut it when our waiter told me about it.  I would need to see it done.  It may be time to try the web to see if there is a youtube or something.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
ART

You in the WHO DAT Club now

So, Rick, are there "organized meetings"?  When and where?

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »
Great looking food and thanks for sharing :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven