Author Topic: Tee EATS TEXAS....or - the Long and Winding Road Trip  (Read 8689 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Tee EATS TEXAS....or - the Long and Winding Road Trip
« Reply #-1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
Finally!
Folks I have been trying to catch up on work. Take off 2 weeks...work for 2 weeks trying to catch up for taking off for 2 weeks... :-[ ;D This thread will have several parts - as there are a LOT of pics I want to post. And - I still need to call back and interview some of the pit masters that agreed to give us some time to talk about their story.

This trip was a BBQ pilgrimage of sorts. And a chance to see places I had not seen  - some for 25 - 30 years... My old home place, where I went to school...
I timed our departure from the driveway so that I could stop for lunch at the Loveless Cafe - just west of Nashville.

The one thing I can tell you about the Loveless is that it does not matter what you order...it will probably best the best you have eaten. It is really that good. And a great history - Look 'em up!
They have an online store and ship their hams, sausage, bacon and rubs anywhere. The smoke house you see above is a working shack that puts out some really good BBQ!
Next - I hammered it for Little Rock for the night, then drove into Dallas the next day. Timed it so that we had lunch at SMOKE.
I would have to say that Tim Byres the chef/owner has taken the elements of BBQ  and used them to create an incredible array of up-scale dining. Really amazing food! ( http://www.smokerestaurant.com )

This is there brisket plate. it comes with some sausage, fingerling potatoes and a thick slice of grilled sour dough bead

A hominy and cheese grits casserole. Crazy good...

Pulled pork plate...

They make their own pickles...and they are awesome! The pickled purple hull peas were really nice - and the "slaw" was very dill.

Kaye ordered this, and I was surprised...cabrito ( young goat) pit roasted, with goat's milk cajeta cheese, green apple salsa and thinly sliced radishes. Incredible...really unique and tasty.

I had to buy Tim's book....it may be the best of them out there - ever! It is not just pretty recipes and  chest thumping. THIS book goes into techniques, and how to build stuff!!! GET IT! It will become a favorite of yours I promise.

Time to say goodbye...

Then had to drive over to Grapevine - out near the DFW airport - and get checked....We stayed at the Gaylord Texan for 4 days  while we looked around DFW...and gorged on BBQ ;D

I can see why some people check in here to relax - and never go outside the hotel grounds. BTW - all of the below pics are inside the hotel.

Looks like my Aggies finally got their hands on BEVO! ;D

So..I called up Doug ( EFGM) and Chris ( sliding billy) and we decided to go to the Pecan Lodge at the Dallas Farmer's Market. It was chosen as No.2 in Texas by Texas Monthly magazine - for brisket. We arrived 1:45 minutes before they opened...and we were 3rd in line!

The view of the Dallas skyline while we wait to get in....

We are in!

The line continues to grow....

I did not order this - but wish I had. They call it The Hot Mess - it is a salt crusted sweet potato stuffed with barbacoa ( shredded brisket) chipotle cream, green onions, cheese and crumbled bacon...POW!

SO we ordered The Trough...and oh boy!
Chris described the BBQ at the Pecan Lodge as "decadent" - and I could not agree more! However - I could not eat this BBQ all of the time. It was so rich with smoke profile ( mesquite) heavy bark - and fatty juicy meat. Truly a special occasion BBQ joint!

My vote for the best single item has to be the beef ribs...still dreaming about them ;D

The next day - I met Chris in McKinney - north of DFW, at Hutchins BBQ. They also made the Top 50 BBQ joint in Texas. And what a great surprise this place was. Chris told me that it was his favorite - and, ...I was going to be critical. After all - we had just had the No.2 brisket the day before...

Chris and I got the all you can eat - and it is NOT a buffet. They cut what you want - when you want, fresh hot and juicy!

Chris - about to lay waste to a massive amount of BBQ. This boy CAN EAT!!!! Of course - anyone that rises at 12:30 A.M. to run 5 miles every day - can probably put away a lot of groceries and not worry about it. Really - he does that! :D

So Saturday - I needed to work off some BBQ...I could not find a bull to climb on for a work out..but 'Ole Hoppy gave me a scare...I think I lasted for 4 seconds before he threw me off. He had a wicked low-inside spin move... :D

Chris and his lovely Mrs. and 2 boys took me with them to the H. Ross Perot  Science and Tech. Museum. Fantastic place - really state of the art

Then we went for a "snack" at the Lockhart Smoke House. Named for the BBQ capitol of Texas - but located in Dallas
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Tee EATS TEXAS....or - the Long and Winding Road Trip
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Wow!

Are you on a diet now?

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
Dang, T, what a great adventure!  Love the pics, especially the ones that showcase the "Q"  ;)

Seriously, I think it great that you posted general pics of your vacation time - pictoral posts like this one are still among my favorite kind of post.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »

Will - the Pitmaster...great attitude, and funny with the customers.

The smoked Turkey breast...devine...

The fatty brisket...OMG>>>>>

The shoulder clod - more lean than brisket, nice sirloin-ey flavor

ribs...

Then.. on to Babe's for lunch. Babe's is an interesting place that specializes in chicken and ribs

THe ribs...

The owner of Babe's likes to find old fire trucks and restore them...in an interesting fashion ;) ;D

Recycled tractor seats out front...

Sunday - we headed for Abilene, west of Ft. Worth about 2-1/2 hours.

If I could only sneak this into the van....

Or this...

These folks had some amazing stuff...

Stopped in Abilene and had lunch with my only remaining uncle. It was good BBQ.

Abilene sits at the extreme upper end of the Hill Country. As you head out of town southward - it begins to get nice and rolling as we head for a hotel in Fredricksburg

And blue skies punctuated with white puffy clouds...

And a shower in the distance-

Another familiar old BBQ joint form when I was a kid...

And a rainbow after...

A nice moon rise on the way to Fredricksburg just playing witht eh zoom on this new camera. Hand held shots, in a running car on teh side of the road, cars going by, moving the car around. Not bad....

Well...Mac's is closed...shoot! This one was a really good place too!

Next day - Fredricksburg!

So you are hungry again? Well - the Mrs. wants chocolate - but....

So I went looking for meaningful stuff...

My favorite...

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:36:25 AM »
Another great series, T!

Gotta love that Q-assault vehicle, and even though I'm a John Deere guy, that Farmall rocker is really cool. 

Even though the pic didn't show it, it almost looks like Deere green next to that Farmall rocker 

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:03 AM »
More of downtown Fredricksburg

Opa's! This place is famous - they are online too. Incredible German deli - Texas style!

So we head for Llano and Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ but first we have to pass some traffic...

And the scenery opens up again...HOME....

Llano

Cooper's! Jus the smell brings back memories. The don't cook over wood...The cook over charcoal..from post oak that they make into charcoal.

You get in line, and you wind up in front of the pitmaster and the warming pit. BTW - they have 9 pits...

Want it wet or dry sir?

Kaye was getting a wild loo in her eye... Never seen this before - she is not the BBQ addict in the family...getting concerned here...

Geez honey..can we eat all of that? Are you feeling o.k.???

GOT to have some of this!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:51:33 AM »
What to drink??? WHat else honey? eare in the Motherland... Shiner Bock PLEASE!

Yep - this is a table set up in a traditional old time Texas BBQ joint folks!

OHHHH MAMAAAA!!!! Now - I have to tell you, again - Kaye is not a big BBQ fan. *BUT* when she tasted Cooper's - she made some noise that harken back to that scene in "When Harry Met Sally"...Severl old ranchers looked at me, tipped their hats and winked...I had to calm Kaye down, and - MAN! was it embarrassing! Then - she whipped out the credit card - and said to the Mgr. "What is the largest picnic/family pack you can ship overnite - to my office tomorrow???" The guy's eye bugged out a little - and he whipped out a brochure...and several Franlins later...BBQ was on it's way to N.C. :D :D :D!!! I spent time the next day answering the phone and texts form our good folks at the office - they were blown away by the food!

Remember the 'coal? Well - here is their wood and the charcoal ovens-

Then we headed back toward Fredricksburg...BUt - the Enchanted Rock State park kinda...enchanted the Mrs.... ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 01:02:03 AM »
T - Great stories, pictures and plates! Thanks for sharing!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 01:46:30 AM »
What an awesome road trip!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 04:52:19 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics Tim.  I had a great time hanging out with you for the 3 days you were in DFW.  I am going to the Babe's in Cedar Hill (the only other one that does ribs) on Saturday.  I need to remember to take a couple of pics there to compare to the Garland one we went to.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »
Great road trip and Q joints.
Love to cook and eat

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »
Tee,
We need to start planning a hunting/eating trip for next year.  I'm sure we would have fun.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Sam3

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
Just amazing Tee. I only wish we had those kind of food place up north here.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 07:23:26 AM »
Awesome!!!!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
Fredericksburg looks like Main Street USA............. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32