Author Topic: BBQ PILGRIMADGE TODAY  (Read 1580 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
BBQ PILGRIMADGE TODAY
« Reply #-1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
I had a rare day to do nothing so I decided to do a bbq roadtrip. Got up early to drive 156 miles to Austin and visit Franklin's BBQ (the best bbq in the USA [or the world as we know it] according to Bon Apetit Magazine). I have heard that you should get there early because there is a long waiting line when they open at 11am. I figured they would be busy on a Friday but I didn't expect this many people. When I arrived the line was about a block and a half long. A girl came out almost immediately and stood close to my part of the line and announced that the wait from this point of the line to the counter was about 2 and 1/2 hours. I noticed a guy across the street renting pink folding chairs for $5 and he was very busy. I bet he made $500 on this crowd today. That's the entrepreneurial spirit. Now I love BBQ and I love all you guys and gals on this forum, but I don't love y'all enough to stand in line for that long in the hot Texas sun just to tell you how good it was.   So driving on to Taylor, Texas for some Louie Mueller BBQ. Well, guess what. It didn't taste anything like the world famous bbq that I remembered from 15 years ago when Louie Mueller was still alive. As a matter of fact, I would rate Houston bbq better than this stuff. I have no idea where it went wrong through the years, but the brisket (though very tender and moist) had a distinctly poor taste, the ribs had the same poor taste, and the sausage wasn't the same as it had been during their heyday. Very disappointing. Driving on to Elgin to visit Southside Market where the quality is always top notch and the second best sausage in Texas (or the world as we know it). Never disappointment here. Bought some original rub, some fajita rub, and a cone of BlueBell homemade peach ice cream (yumm, yummmm). Now back to Houston. Although not a very successful trip this time, any trip for bbq is fun in my book. Took a few cell phone pics and will post them later if anybody cares and if I can get them out of the phone. Later, Dudes.

Oh, by the way....Jaxon, Aaron says hi.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: BBQ PILGRIMADGE TODAY
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
A tough day... sorry. But, sounds like some upside! Would enjoy pics - maybe Dee could help (couldn't resist.) Sometimes the journey is the reward... Sounds good, huh? ;)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »
Don,  I'm like you.  I wouldn't stand in a line that long if they paid me to eat.  It's either that good or it's become a tourist trap going on its reputation.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
Did you have the beef ribs at Mueller's?  I'd be REALLY disappointed if those are not living up to expectations anymore.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
SB, they were sold out of beef ribs. I understand that the best beef ribs are now being served at Jaxon's house. I can pick you up on the way.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
We really do need a TX gathering (or road trip).  I'm in!  At least we could get enough folks to do a pre-order from Franklin's and pick it up at 10:30.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »
Well I enjoyed reading your post, I could not stand in line for that long either :)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »
That sounds like a great day! Fun in the sun and BBQ.

A Road trip would be nice. Get Captain Jack.

We all should have Texas get-together and BBQ at someone's house.

I would love to do this after I have surgery.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

BBQ PILGRIMADGE TODAY
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
Be curious how early these people get in line. Yikes
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
I like the story, Don...would have loved it more if you had STAYED IN LINE!   just kidding
When I retire, I'm gonna come to Texas for the tour.  Maybe y'all will be having the 2nd annual gathering by then.  Maybe Albert & I can fly out there in early Spring and see where you can take us.
We can dream, can't we?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »
They start at 8:00 AM. Sometimes earlier.

It is like sacred ground. A holy place in Texas.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »
The last time I waited that long in a line I was in the Navy and was not offered a choice to get out of line.  It certainly didn't involve waiting for anything called "good food"!!

Art

Don,
You made the right choice.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »
CaptJack and IR, if you guys make the run to Killen's you only have three weekends left.  He's going to shut down at the end of the month until the finish the new BBQ restaurant in October (Broadway near Main).  If you guys want to do a weekday run once they're up and running I'd love to meet up with y'all.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »
Nice PRON Jack!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
Great pics!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #