Author Topic: What's the Proper IT for Country Style Ribs?  (Read 6502 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
What's the Proper IT for Country Style Ribs?
« Reply #-1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
My butcher has great looking boneless country style ribs on sale.  I'm thinking of cooking them on the PBC grate.  I plan to leave the rods in place in order to keep the air flow the same as if I were hanging some ribs so I expect it to run at about 270°F.

I would cook a butt to 195°F-205°F internal.  Is that appropriate for country style ribs cut from the shoulder?

I want to coat them with BBQ sauce for the last 15 minutes or so.  So...given that the increased airflow when removing the lid temporarily to sauce them will shoot the temperature up to about 325°F, at what internal temperature would you open the PBC and add the BBQ sauce?

Edit:  Added blue text.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:52:47 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: What's the Proper IT for Country Style Ribs?
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
Sauce them and the. pull out the rods to finish. The rods being out will increase the temp at least 50F or crack the lid. If you leave the lid off those coals will get really hot and the ribs might burn.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
I didn't make myself clear, muebe.  I meant that removing the lid to sauce them will cause the temperature to spike.  I intend to put the lid back on and "set" the BBQ Sauce for about 15 minutes.

I'll edit my original post to make it more clear.

So my question still stands, given that the country style ribs will continue to cook (at a higher temperature) for the 15 minutes that they have sauce, at what internal temperature should I sauce them?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
I would take them to 165F then sauce.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
Safe IT for pork is 145.
I cook country style ribs like chops.
You could sauce them at 135, crank the heat up and that will take you to about 145. And temp should continue rising while meat is resting.
I think Beyond 160 you're looking for country style bricks.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:25 PM »
Safe IT for pork is 145.
You could sauce them at 135, crank the heat up and that will take you to about 145. And temp should continue rising while meat is resting.

That probably depends a lot on how or on what they are cooked on....I find that cooked in an electric cabinet smoker - they will be so moist it is hard to believe. Cooked with gas - potentially very dry. Charcoal...can vary based on the air velocity thru the cooker during the cook, too much will carry off a lot of moisture.  Pellet cookers seem to rarely ever produce dry foods ( and frankly - it still puzzles me a little when searching for a reasonable explanation for that - seems to be a lot of air movement thru them...)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:53:19 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
From previous postings by him I know Paul is very concerned about food safety and that is why I suggested that temp. With that being said I myself would cook them to 145F and not worry. But I believe that because Country Style Ribs are thick cut they will turn out good at 165F when done in the PBC. It is tough to dry something out in that cooker due to the grease fog IMHO.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:50 AM »
As several posters have cited already, 145 is the USDA "safe" temp but there's this problem . . .

Pork accepts heat differently depending on the cut and "Country Style Ribs" aren't ribs, but are slices of roast taken from the shoulder or butt cuts.  If you poke around with an instant-read thermometer you'll get different readings on the same piece depending on whether you stick the probe in lean meat, fatty meat, fat, and how close to a bone you might be.  Thus, internal temperature for this piece of meat is not the best way to determine doneness.

Suggestion:  Learn to determine CSR doneness by feel of the meat.  If you push on a lean meat spot with your finger and the meat is spongy, you're underdone.  If you get some firmness but can still make a depression, you're close.  If the meat is hard and resistant to any pressure from your finger it is overdone.  Confirm by using your thermometer in a lean spot if you wish.

I've been using this technique on CSR's and pork chops for years and it works beautifully  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline pmillen

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
Safe IT for pork is 145.

Maybe my premise is flawed.  I think it's common to cook a butt to 195°-205°.  So I was thinking, "Well, the country style ribs are just a sliced butt so I should take them to 195° or so."  Is that not correct?

If there's a consensus for 135° or thereabouts I'll do them like that.
Paul

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
Country Style Ribs are sliced from the sirloin/rib part of the loin and not the butt.

Sliced butt should be taken to 170F IMHO. At 200F butt is pullable and not for slicing. I would not take CSR's any higher than 170F.

As Hub said you can just go with the feel and texture when it is to your liking.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:25:24 AM »
Unless I am cooking for pulled pork I have started cooking all my pork to 145 IT. It is much more tender and juicy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline pmillen

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
Country Style Ribs are sliced from the sirloin/rib part of the loin and not the butt.

I didn't know that, thanks.  I've not been involved in any pork butchering but, somewhere, I picked up the impression that they were from the shoulder or butt.
Paul

Offline pmillen

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
Safe IT for pork is 145.

This looks like a good plan.
Paul

Offline pmillen

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
Well, darn!  No wonder I thought they were cut from the shoulder or butt.

I think Costco gets their pork from Swifts. 

Meat cutting conventions may be changing.  There are certainly beef cut names that are new to me since I cut meat with my dad.
Paul

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
Paul I can see why you would think that. It says pork shoulder on the package  :-\

From what I understand they are not normally cut from the shoulder so I think Rummm would be able to solve this mystery better.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC