Author Topic: Broke in my new to me PBC tonight.  (Read 3948 times)

Offline 70monte

Broke in my new to me PBC tonight.
« Reply #-1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »
Tonight I made a chicken on the PBC.  I followed the directions on PBC's video and used their all purpose rub as well.  I cooked it for 2 hours and it came out great.  Very juicy.  The set it and forget it aspect came in very useful because we were medicating some of the cattle for pink eye and the cooker was going during the whole process and it was nice not having to baby sit it.

I was impressed how much charcoal I still had left after the cook.  I can't wait to cook some other things on it.  Ribs will probably be the next thing.  I also received my PBC cover and some additional rub from PBC today.

All in all, the PBC did what it claims to do and I'm glad that I was able to get one.  I forgot to take pics.  Maybe next time.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Broke in my new to me PBC tonight.
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Good to hear that you have become a PBC fan as well Wayne. The best chicken that I make is in my PBC. When the wife sees me getting a chicken out to cook - she always asks..."Will you please cook it in the PBC...?" And SHE is not even a grilled/smoked foods fan! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »
Sounds great, looking forward to some pics of the next cook.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:16:55 AM »
Sounds like a great cook. I love using my PBC. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your cooks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »
Sounds great, looking forward to some pics of the next cook.  ;)

Me too!  :)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »
My wife loves PBC wings.  Nice and crisp, just the way we both like them.  Chicken and a PBC just go together.  HOS might disagree, at least a little.  He is a chicken cooking machine.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
The PBC is my goto chicken cooker!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »
Unicorn is always a good choice for a first cook  ;) ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Unicorn is always a good choice for a first cook  ;) ;D

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Unicorn.......HA!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
ohhhhhhhh......... busted  ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 70monte

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
I'm also impressed with how long this thing retains heat.  I checked the cooker this morning about 7:00am because I was going to put it up and it was still hot.  I could still see some coals in the bottom.  It wasn't hot enough to burn my hand on the lid but it was still hot.  This was about 14 hours after I first put the chicken on as I put it on about 5:00pm last night.  I just got home from the dentist and checked the cooker and it was cool to the touch but when I went to clean it out, there were still some embers in the bottom and this was at 11:00 am.  I used some tinfoil to line the bottom to make cleanup easier so I just dumped that in the burn barrel.

I also discovered that the small Weber chimney is the perfect size to hold the 1/4 amount of coals taken out of the charcoal ring as well as for dumping the hot coals back in.  The chimney held 40 briquettes which is what I read is the amount Noah says to start with.

My next cook won't be for awhile since I'm on liquids for awhile until I heal up but I will take some pics the next time I cook something.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
I'm also impressed with how long this thing retains heat.  I checked the cooker this morning about 7:00am because I was going to put it up and it was still hot.  I could still see some coals in the bottom.  It wasn't hot enough to burn my hand on the lid but it was still hot.  This was about 14 hours after I first put the chicken on as I put it on about 5:00pm last night.  I just got home from the dentist and checked the cooker and it was cool to the touch but when I went to clean it out, there were still some embers in the bottom and this was at 11:00 am.  I used some tinfoil to line the bottom to make cleanup easier so I just dumped that in the burn barrel.

I also discovered that the small Weber chimney is the perfect size to hold the 1/4 amount of coals taken out of the charcoal ring as well as for dumping the hot coals back in.  The chimney held 40 briquettes which is what I read is the amount Noah says to start with.

My next cook won't be for awhile since I'm on liquids for awhile until I heal up but I will take some pics the next time I cook something.

Wayne

Choke the bottom vent and the rebar holes with foil after cooking. That will save the remaining coal for next PBC session.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
Congrats on the first cook,it IS a chicken monster machine for sure!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Bob c cue

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »
I agree that chicken on the PBC is about as good as it gets. However, I would like to have the skin crisp up a bit more for truly bite through goodness.  I have tried cooking the chicken a bit longer (fortunately bird does not  dry out at all if I go over 165 temp in the breast) and cracking or removing the lid for the last 5 minutes or so. It seems to help but still not what I would call bite through. Anyone have suggestions?

I was also thinking of brushing the bird with bbq sauce, butter or some other type of basting sauce during the last few minutes. Has anyone given that a shot.?

Thanks all. Great forum for sharing ideas on the PBC.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
I agree that chicken on the PBC is about as good as it gets. However, I would like to have the skin crisp up a bit more for truly bite through goodness.  I have tried cooking the chicken a bit longer (fortunately bird does not  dry out at all if I go over 165 temp in the breast) and cracking or removing the lid for the last 5 minutes or so. It seems to help but still not what I would call bite through. Anyone have suggestions?

I was also thinking of brushing the bird with bbq sauce, butter or some other type of basting sauce during the last few minutes. Has anyone given that a shot.?

Thanks all. Great forum for sharing ideas on the PBC.

At what temperature are you cooking the chicken?
I get a crackling skin every time. I cook at 325 - 350 until IT is about 140 then cranked it up as high as possible to finish off, IT breast 155.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum