Author Topic: Broke in my new to me PBC tonight.  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Bob c cue

Re: Broke in my new to me PBC tonight.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
I agree that chicken on the PBC is about as good as it gets. However, I would like to have the skin crisp up a bit more for truly bite through goodness.  I have tried cooking the chicken a bit longer (fortunately bird does not  dry out at all if I go over 165 temp in the breast) and cracking or removing the lid for the last 5 minutes or so. It seems to help but still not what I would call bite through. Anyone have suggestions?

I was also thinking of brushing the bird with bbq sauce, butter or some other type of basting sauce during the last few minutes. Has anyone given that a shot.?

Thanks all. Great forum for sharing ideas on the PBC.

At what temperature are you cooking the chicken?
I get a crackling skin every time. I cook at 325 - 350 until IT is about 140 then cranked it up as high as possible to finish off, IT breast 155.

I don't really monitor the temp or adjust the intake. I keep it at 1/4 open per my elevation. The few times I checked it was between 270 and 300 degrees. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Broke in my new to me PBC tonight.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 11:28:48 PM »
Yeah, if you're using the blue bag charcoal you might have to light a full chimney to get that PBC hot and bothered.
I think anything below 300 may not get you crispy skin.
My suggestion is to monitor your cooks and tweak the PBC to your liking.
If you are using just a single rebar try to take the other one off.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer