Author Topic: PBC cover  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: PBC cover
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
Yeah Cajun, but just like with bikes, that's hard to do if you have more than one ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
Cover?  We don't need no stinking cover.

My poor Weber has been outside since 1997.  Occasionally had a cover but has been uncovered most of the time.  May not look as new and have had to replace the handles (1x4, and Weber written with a sharpie mod).  It still cooks like a champ.

My PBC stays in the garage when not in service.  As I get older I treat my toys a little nicer.

Covers for grills are like trickle chargers for motorcycles, don't need either if you use them daily.  ;)

So true LVC! Or like a lot of folks, don't need it if it starts, but that day will come when the sh%$ hits the fan and then you buy a new battery AND a trickle charger!  ;D 8)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »
Well... there is a little more to a good cover than that I am afraid Paul. A good cover should breathe - and not promote condensation on your grill. Nothing makes a sweaty greenhouse like a plastic bag! ;)

I can't agree with this, Tee.  It's true if the item being covered is generating water vapor, like a person or something that contains evaporating liquid.  Then the vapors are trapped by the cover and they condense under it.

Think about this—nothing breathes better than no cover at all.  Every morning, well after sunrise in humid Nebraska, my grass is as wet from condensation (dew) as if it were watered.  If breathing were important in reducing condensation the grass would be dry 'cause it breathes pretty darn well without a cover.

One morning as I was testing for grass dryness in order to start mowing I checked the two grills on my deck that are covered with plastic bags.  Both bags had heavy dew on the outside—actual water droplets that would run at the touch.  Both were dry underneath.  I had the same results when checking on several consecutive mornings.

So I'm not convinced that all covers need to be vented or breathable.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline highergr0und

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
I've got the official cover from the Pit Barrel Cooker company.   It's a nice, thick cover and looks good on it, but it's kind of a pain to put on.  It's a tight fit and it has elastic on the bottom.  I wonder how many times on and off it'll go before the horseshoes on the side poke a hole through it. 

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
Yeah, that's why Went with the Weber cover. I can pull it off one handed.
The PBC being my go to outdoor cooker, I can get to it in no time Flat.

One thing I noticed is that after heavy rain, water collects on the lid. I got signs of rust.
Might need to use a heavy duty trash bag in addition to the weber cover.

Is the official cover waterproof?
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline highergr0und

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
I kind of assumed it was.....  the website is a little short on details.  Might have to follow up with Amber.