Author Topic: Stoven Review - Convert Kettle to Pellet Grill  (Read 90756 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Stoven Review - Convert Kettle to Pellet Grill
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »
Just tripped over this thread again. TentHunteR, are you still liking this conversion?

Yes, I love both of my pellet grills.  The Stoven/Weber combo is a great setup and very efficient on fuel. You can smoke or grill on it. The A-Maze-N tube works very well with it for cold smoking too.  One of my favorite things about it is its portability. It fits right in the back on my mini-van and is very easy to get in & out.

I am thinking you might have to order a leg kit for the kettle and remove it from the performer housing..........just thinking.......

Nope, not at all! :)

Mine is on a Performer and the Stoven works perfectly on it (take a look at the pics above).  Just don't mount the side table that comes with the Stoven (because your performer already has a bigger one).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:16:25 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
Like drholly I was just cruisin' around and stumbled across this again and got to thinking . . . (I don't do it often, just ask my wife) . . . how easy is it to remove the Stoven and go back to charcoal if one chooses to?  Also would like your opinion on the overal temperature accuracy/stability of the Stoven/Performer combo.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
Sorry Hub, I didn't see your question until just a little bit ago.  Next time throw a rock at my head or type it louder, so I can hear it! ::)  :P

how easy is it to remove the Stoven and go back to charcoal if one chooses to?

It couldn't be easier. To switch back to charcoal, you lift the Stoven off and set it aside.  That's it.

Also would like your opinion on the overal temperature accuracy/stability of the Stoven/Performer combo.

I can use the lid's thermometer as a guide for most cooks. Where more accuracy is needed I use my Maverick ET732 and place the pit probe at grate level.

As far as stability, the stoven takes advangtage of Weber's already a tried and true kettle design giving great heat distribution. It's not automatic, so you do have to adjust the temp manually. However, instead of adjusting the vents, you leave them closed and adjust the pellet feed rate.

It has a distinct advadntage over charcoal in adding fuel. Adding fuel is so much easier, and unlike charcoal, you can add pellets to the hopper without having to remove the weber's lid and lose heat, making it much more stable in that regard.

Cleanup is so much easier. Provided you use a good quality pellet, the Stoven produces a minute amount of ash. I do NOT miss cleaning out all the charcoal ash after a cook. ;)
<><
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
I sort of forgot about this thread. Glad to see it back up. I'm going to have to give this some serious thought. Are you still liking it. Cliff?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »
Are you still liking it. Cliff?

David, Yes I am! :) Granted, I don't use it as often as I use the MAK, but It's get's it's share of use.

It made the trip from Ohio down to Georgia for the Fall Gathering. It's what we used to bake Pam's famous biscuits.
<><
Member #68

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
I completely missed this thread the first time around.  Not sure how that happened because I was thinking of something along the lines of a Stoven for my WSM 18.5.  That was a first class review, Cliff.  Great info there.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
I some questions and I hope is OK to revive this old thread.
Back in the day before Charcoal taste became unpleasant to Sweetie and I we always thought the Weber Kettle made the best chicken and turkey.  I contributed, right or wrong, to the kettle IE dome design.

The question is how does the Stoven Weber conversion work for roasting????
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
Art, like you I love the design of the kettle.  The dome shape works so well, and the Stoven conversion takes advantage of that design and still provides very good roasting ability.

The Stoven's firepot is positioned down in the bottom, center of the grill, and a heat diffuser sits over top that, so the heat is very even. Venting is built into the design, so the vents of the kettle itself stay totally closed.  Once the heat builds up the domed lid reflects the heat very well giving very good, even roasting ability. So the trick is to NOT keep taking the lid off and let the dome design do it's work, which is no different than using the kettle with charcoal.  For longer cooks, with a 4 lb hopper, you do need to check & add pellets every couple of hours, but it's still a whole lot easier than adding charcoal, and can be done without removing the lid.

Here are a few pics:

On a separate note...

I recently had issues with the controller (it would not feed pellets), so I called John. He told me another customer had the same issue, so he had me open the hopper assembly to see if the controller was coated with pellet dust from the past 5 years of use. Sure enough it was, and after blowing & vacuuming the dust out... VOILA!  Everything was fine.

On a sad note, however, while talking with him, I learned that, due to health reasons, he is looking to sell the company and is currently not manufacturing any more units.   He still has some in stock for sale.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:28:57 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
Member #68

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »
Sorry to hear John the owner has health problems and hoping for a fast recovery.

That being said what I am looking for is a wood fired chicken cooker and this one sounds like a fit.

Only thing is I was hoping for something to modify my old original 18" Weber and not buy a new 22"

Thanks for passing on your knowledge on this. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »
I know this thread is old, but somehow I have been overlooking the "product reviews" page.  I had no idea that a product like this was even on the market.  Could you imagine the possibilities if this could be modified to fit Weber's Ranch Kettle?

All that cooking space in a round compact footprint. The closest possibility would be a Grilla Grill, which is only around 350 sq inches of main cooking space. This would be over 1100 sq inches. Capacity would be encroaching in 2000"  :o with an elevated rack. Because the enormity of the rack, an elevated rack with a hole in the middle would be a great idea so you can still reach the bottom in the middle. Just spit balling ideas over here.

MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »
If I ever get a Weber grill I will get a Stoven unit.  Tenthunter brought his to the cookout we use to have in Georgia snf reslly liked the way it worked + you run it of a battery so if power goes out you still have a pellet pooper!!! :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 06:41:51 AM »
If I ever get a Weber grill I will get a Stoven unit.  Tenthunter brought his to the cookout we use to have in Georgia snf reslly liked the way it worked + you run it of a battery so if power goes out you still have a pellet pooper!!! :thumbup:

I can see that battery setup opening up some camping possibilities. I  would be leery having it exposed around kids though. Maybe build a box hiding the terminals. And if it runs out, you still have a charcoal grill with you.

Seeing this device makes me wonder why Weber has not attempted to monetize on the pellet crazy in the last 3 years. They are the number 1 outdoor cooker company by far. More than double number 2. Almost $250M annual revenue. That's plenty of money for some serious R&D to come up with a quality unit. They already have the charcoal and gas game on lock. Surprised they don't have a unit to compete with Camp Chef and Traeger. 
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »

I can see that battery setup opening up some camping possibilities. I  would be leery having it exposed around kids though. Maybe build a box hiding the terminals. And if it runs out, you still have a charcoal grill with you.

Seeing this device makes me wonder why Weber has not attempted to monetize on the pellet crazy in the last 3 years. They are the number 1 outdoor cooker company by far. More than double number 2. Almost $250M annual revenue. That's plenty of money for some serious R&D to come up with a quality unit. They already have the charcoal and gas game on lock. Surprised they don't have a unit to compete with Camp Chef and Traeger.
That I don't understand either.  CharBroil is another company that has not entered the pellet grill market and that I really don't get since they pride themselves on being a company that loves cooking outdoors like Weber

I did make a pellet SRG that I sent pictures, drawings and full report to CharBroil and all I got back was NOTHING not a word other than That's interesting from CB Martin who use to run the old Charbroil forum. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »

That I don't understand either.  CharBroil is another company that has not entered the pellet grill market and that I really don't get since they pride themselves on being a company that loves cooking outdoors like Weber

I did make a pellet SRG that I sent pictures, drawings and full report to CharBroil and all I got back was NOTHING not a word other than That's interesting from CB Martin who use to run the old Charbroil forum.

I hope to enjoy 10 to 20 years with my MAK. Rec Tec has boot strapped their way to around $10 mil gross. With their size, bulk purchasing ability, and research department; they should be able to manufacture MAK quality units in that 800-1200 range, maybe lower.

I wonder if they have considered it but came to the thought that it would hurt their other products. Take sales away from the gasers due to pellet ease of use. Take away sales from the WSM since it can smoke more precisely. Take away sales from the kettle since pellets can reach grilling temps and add a better wood smoke flavor.  That is the only logical thing I can see stopping them from making one.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle