Author Topic: The Smoker, Roaster & Grill (SRG)  (Read 129144 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: The Smoker, Roaster & Grill (SRG)
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »
As much as I like my SRG, the only thing that I do not like is the build quality. I also have a 3 burner RED from Charbroil, that pretty much rusted away in less than 2 years. Now my SRG is rusting. Both of my grills were always cleaned after I used them and always covered. Now I am looking into purchasing a new grill. Soon, I will be looking to find something to replace the SRG, do not know if I will get another one. Has anyone else had problems with rust? My 3 burner RED is so bad, getting replacement parts is out of the question.
Because of the design the SRG is pretty burnout resistant in spite of the materials used.
As kinda a recent hobby I've started rebuilding old gas grills & I've learned a lot.
If I was buying a new gas grill & could afford it I'd either buy a weber or a broil mate
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
I've used my SRG almost daily for a couple of years now and other than a little heat rust on the outside it's still rock solid. I have used it so much that I have burned out a couple of Tommy Rings and need a new one as I type. I love mine so much that I actually have 2 that I use and an extra new one in a box (price on craigslist was to good to pass up) and I just got rid of my only other gasser.

Offline txtinman

• Lets Eat!
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
I just got a SRG. Is there a thermometer that can be left inside the SRG while cooking without being destroyed? I should add, a reasonably priced thermometer, a starter version if you will.

Mike
Mike White
I can resist anything except temptation.... Oscar Wilde

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
As much as I like my SRG, the only thing that I do not like is the build quality. I also have a 3 burner RED from Charbroil, that pretty much rusted away in less than 2 years. Now my SRG is rusting. Both of my grills were always cleaned after I used them and always covered. Now I am looking into purchasing a new grill. Soon, I will be looking to find something to replace the SRG, do not know if I will get another one. Has anyone else had problems with rust? My 3 burner RED is so bad, getting replacement parts is out of the question.
Because of the design the SRG is pretty burnout resistant in spite of the materials used.
As kinda a recent hobby I've started rebuilding old gas grills & I've learned a lot.
If I was buying a new gas grill & could afford it I'd either buy a weber or a broil mate

Just  got my SRG last week hopefully I won't have the same issues, I did purchase the cover for SRG hopefully that helps. I did notice while assembling that most of the screws already had some rust on them coming out of the blister pack.  Other than that it is a very unique device.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Skyzepplin

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »
Just got my BESRG , and can't wait to modified it.  Nice tips !!   i have the amazing smoke tube, going to mess around with it today to see how that works with the BESRG.

nice mods ,
Chris

My A Mazin Smoke tube work awesome, just lit it and got it started chugging smoke, and lay it on the bottom , with basket over it and it smoked for hours
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:43:20 AM by Skyzepplin »
Rec Tec Mini
Char-Broil Big Easy SRG

Offline McTricky

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »
New member here. Figured this was the best place to post pics of mods. Enjoy!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
Char-Weber!   :D :D :D :D Love it

Now, keep an eye on venting to make sure you have enough.   I feel if you  go for blocking the side vents you will need a larger vent on top
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline McTricky

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
Charber Modâ„¢.

Yeah, so far it seems to have pulled the overall heat down about 10-15% my guess. I cooked some wings last night that usually take me about 45 minutes and this time they took an hour. I don't think I'm going to block the side as I'm working to get the over all heat profile lower. The smoker jets worked and so did the box mod. I put 4 chunks of oak in the bottom and one in the smoker box and turned it on high. It was blowing smoke in 20 minutes!