Author Topic: Photobucket and Picasa Question  (Read 64261 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Photobucket and Picasa Question
« Reply #-1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:50 AM »
I started out using Photobucket to post my photos and still use it. After I started my pellet smoker blog on Google all the photos posted there were automatically save to a Picasa web page. I used it a few times to post my photos but found it was easier and faster for me to still use Photobucket to post photos here. All of a sudden PB was telling me I was approaching my bandwidth limit and I would have to pay for more. I checked and found I was using 26% of my  2.1 GB of storage so not sure how I could be using close to 80% of my free 1.3 GB bandwidth. They said if I went over my allotted bandwidth none of my photos would be viewable.

I thought I would start using Picasa again but found now all the photos are on Google+ Photos and there was no way I could find an image code to use.

I just checked Photobucket again so I could state my usage in this post. Now it is saying I am using 26% of the 2.1 GB storage and 12% of the 1.3 GB bandwidth. Maybe I don't understand bandwidth but my way of thinking is for me to use 100% of the bandwidth all my photos would have to be viewed at the same time. I don't think that will ever happen! Maybe Photobucket was confused like I am.

Any info on this would be appreciated. I like to share but not sure I am willing to pay to have someone view my photos!

Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

Re: Photobucket and Picasa Question
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
I tried Photobucket, but found it unacceptable for my purposes - many times if a person does not have an account, then the image is not viewable to the end user (takes you to a login page)

The bandwidth is how much data is being transferred from the server.  I use Google + and I personally like Picasa web albums because if you limit the size of the internet photo to 2048x2048 then you can upload unlimited numbers of photos all for free.  Because you are copying the url of your image to paste into a post, there will never be an issue of failing to display the image because the end user does not have an account. 

However, I do not know if Google has a limit on bandwidth usage (so far I have not encountered it, and have posted large numbers of photos in a variety of places)

I use the Picasa application on my PC because when I choose to upload images, it automatically resizes to the proper size so that I never exceed my storage limit.  I'd be happy to provide a step by step process if you need it

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
I like Photo-Bucket and have used it for many years. I just checked and counted my cooking pictures and found I have 2882 pictures on the site. And yes, I do pay for the service and find it a real bargain. I use this service for my blog and probably have about 2000 pictures on the blog. For me, Photo-Bucket is easy to use, is always available, is never down as far as the availability of my pictures on the web. Anyone from anywhere in the world can view my site and always find information with pictures available at all times. Photo-Bucket is a great host in my book and I am very happy with the service.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:16:46 AM »
This might help you understand Don

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/200724014-Bandwidth-Exceeded-Look-Who-s-Popular-

Free users have limited bandwidth for their accounts, and that limit is set to 10GBs of bandwidth per month.

Bandwidth consumption is counted by the amount of data that is transferred from your account to other sites across the web. The size of the image or video will increase the amount of bandwidth you are using when linking them out to other sites.

Examples of bandwidth usage:

-Lets say you have 100 photos that are 1MB in size each, and you are linking every single one of them out to your blog/website. 100 images at 1MB in size means that you are linking out just under 100MBs in data size for all those images. Those photos would need to be viewed 100 times a piece to reach the 10GB bandwidth limit for a free Photobucket account.

-If you only linked out 10 photos that are 1MB in size, those 10 photo would need to be viewed over 10,000 times before you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

-If you had 10 videos on your blog/website that were 100MBs in size, that would equal out to just under 1GB in file size. If those videos were viewed 100 times total, you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

If you do reach the bandwidth cap for the free account, your linked out photos will be replaced by the above Photobucket image that states "this image exceeds bandwidth". To have this removed you will need to upgrade to a Plus subscription, or wait for your bandwidth to reset for the month. Your bandwidth will reset to zero every month on the day you registered your account. You can find this date in your User Settings, under the Account tab.

If you upgrade to a Plus account, you will no longer have to worry about the bandwidth exceeded message, as all Plus accounts have unlimited bandwidth. Upgrading your account to a Plus account will only remove that message from photos that are linked out from your upgraded account. It will not remove the bandwidth exceeded message from images that are linked out from another users account.

Having users return to the site to view your photos through direct links does not use any bandwidth. Bandwidth is only used when the image is embedded on another site to be viewed.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »
Thanks muebe, now I can understand the bandwidth thing. I think PZ got me straightened out on using Picasa Web, which now is Google+ Photos. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Dee will be on here shortly to answer all your questions.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
Dee will be on here shortly to answer all your questions.
Funny Ken!!!  ;D Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:01:05 PM »
I think PZ got me straightened out on using Picasa Web, which now is Google+ Photos.

That's not exactly accurate, but Google doesn't make this very clear.   Picasa Web Albums is NOT Google Plus Photos; it's a separate service (offered by Google), and you are NOT required to have Google Plus in order to use Picasa Web Albums.

If you create a Google plus account, then your Picasa web album, Gmail and any other Google account you have  gets rolled into one account.

I had a Google Plus account for about two days, quickly saw how intrusive it was, and dumped it as quickly as possible.

You can, if you prefer, delete your Google plus account and go back to having separate accounts. This will let you use Picasa Web Albums the way you used to.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:07:02 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68