Author Topic: MAK Smoke Setting  (Read 3210 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
MAK Smoke Setting
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
I was doing some Salmon again and had my MAK on the smoke setting. The igniter seemed to be always on.

Is this normal?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: MAK Smoke Setting
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »
Why do you think that the lighter was always on? What was it doing? Have you watched what the temp. swing is during smoke mode?

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
I didn't stay looking at the controller for an extended time but it was in smoke mode for over an hour and when ever I did look at it it shower the igniter still being on.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline KyNola

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
Unless you saw "Igniting" constantly on the display, I think what you saw was most likely the symbol that shows the auger is turning.  My 2 Star has nothing that shows the igniter is "on" except in the initial stage where it is lighting the pellets and then it says "igniting" on the display.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
MAK Smoke Setting
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
I have the same issue. I think I need to clean the thermo coupler.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
I didn't stay looking at the controller for an extended time but it was in smoke mode for over an hour and when ever I did look at it it shower the igniter still being on.

If I understand the way the MAK smoke mode works....the ignitor will come on every time the temperature drops below the lowest temperature pre-progammed ( I think that is 165F) -and the auger will turn - pushing some pellets into the burn pot, and the ignitor gets them smoking - the temp rises to the high set point ( again - I think it is 175F) then the ignitor turns off, until the temp drops again.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »
That is what I think I am seeing "T". If that is how it's supposed I'm ok with that :)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »
I think it is fine. But  (I am sure you know this  ;)) the fine folks at MAK will be better at 'splaining it correctly... ;D And - they always like hearing from their customers.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline KyNola

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »
The SMOKE setting should produce heat between 170-180 degree range.  During the initial ignition, the igniter powers on, the auger runs for 5 minutes and the fan blows at full speed. When the MAK senses a temperature of 160 the igniter powers off, the fan throttles back and the temp should continue to rise to somewhere in the 170-180 range.  Unless the Pellet Boss detects an abnormal drop in temperature, the igniter does not come back on at any set point.  The MAK is programmed to know when to automatically add more pellets to the firepot to maintain the setpoint temperature so there is no need for the igniter to power back on.  The new pellets light themselves from the pellets that are already burning in the firepot.  An abnormal temperature drop will cause the MAK to attempt to relight the MAK with the igniter for 3 igniting cycles.  If it does not ignite and detects the temperature is not rising an alarm will go off alerting you to a flame out, meaning the fire has gone out.

If you're seeing "igniting" regularly for an hour after the initial ignition you have a problem somewhere.  Check your firepot to see if you have an abundance of ash in the firepot, preventing the pellets from coming in full contact with the ignition rod.  That could be the issue with it having to relight constantly. 

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
KyNola nailed it (as per usual)!    Once the grill reaches 160, the temperature is controlled by the fan speed and auger turn rate, so unless there's something causing the grill to drop below 160 (such as an over-full firepot, where the pellets can't maintain a good fire), the igniter won't turn on again during a cook.  So if the Pellet Boss IS saying "Igniting" after that amount of time, there's something interfering. 

The little "A" on the screen shows when the auger is turning, which will happen off and on no matter what temperatures you're cooking at (it would stay on constantly if you're cooking on HIGH). 

Cleaning the thermocouple is always a good idea to do every few cooks anyway, just to make sure it's clean and registering temperatures without interference.  Making sure all the vents and grease chute are clear and don't have grease clogged in them will make sure the air-flow is allowing the grill to function as it should as well. 

Keep us posted-- we'd be happy to troubleshoot some more if those things don't alleviate the issue!   (support@makgrills.com  or 503-623-1234)

-Kat
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
I clean my firepot before every cook, I just cleaned the thermocouple and got it nice and shiney.. seems to have fixed my problem.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM