Author Topic: Temperature Off Set  (Read 1415 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Temperature Off Set
« Reply #-1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
Not complaining as this is not really a big deal but I just want to show this.

My Set Point - 245F

Grill Temp - 235F

Thermo Works - 222F. This phrobe  was located on the upper level of the smoker.

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Temperature Off Set
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
I like how you wrapped your probes.  Those leads will take 720 degrees won't they.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
They will but it makes them easier to clean ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
That temperature reading is from the MAK thermocouple location Drew so your not going to get the exact same reading unless you put the Thermoworks thermocouple in the same location as it.

That is why they always say "Know your cooker" ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
222.3F, 235F, or 245F, whatever temp you choose, those butts is nice Drew!  :P 8)   Gonna be gooooood!

Offline Pappymn

Temperature Off Set
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Tell us how you prepped the pork. Great color on those
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
222.3F, 235F, or 245F, whatever temp you choose, those butts is nice Drew!  :P 8)   Gonna be gooooood!

I agree 100% ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
That temperature reading is from the MAK thermocouple location Drew so your not going to get the exact same reading unless you put the Thermoworks thermocouple in the same location as it.

That is why they always say "Know your cooker" ;)

Mike is right. The temp sensor represents an overall temperature of the grill, not any specific spot in the grill.  There will always be a difference between the lower & upper levels.

Here are a few things I've noticed with our MAK:

1) This temperature offset always seems worse during cold weather when the MAK is pulling in cold air.  I just bump the setting up an extra 5 - 10°.

2)  A dirty temp sensor can play a HUGE role.  I had a situation recently where the MAK wasn't getting up to temp and kept dropping, BUT it had been a while since I'd cleaned the temp sensor.  After a good cleaning with a Scotch-Brite pad it was back to business as usual.

3)Bad pellets not burning like they should will definitely cause any pellet grill to struggle.  I had a couple bags that had picked up moisture and didn't realize it until after my MAK was struggling like crazy to get up to and hold temp.  After inspecting the bag, the pellets seemed dry, but when I saw some near the bottom of the bags were swollen I knew that they'd picked up moisture at some time. After changing the pellets the MAK was happy again.

One bag went to my friend who has a Masterbuilt Electric smoker (they worked fine for him) and my wife used the other bag as mulch in the flower beds. ;)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:57:40 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline KyNola

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
The thermocouple in a MAK is located in the bottom left corner so you will get a different temp reading on the upper level.  Mine is consistently about 20 degrees cooler on the upper rack, just like yours.  Were you to set your probe directly in the center of the lower rack you would find a temp much higher than your temp setpoint.

As muebe says.......... ;)