Author Topic: Backyard Wild Life Pics  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Backyard Wild Life Pics
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:00:17 AM »
Backyard wild life 2015

I was a little lax last summer enjoying Mother Nature and getting some photographs. You have to take time to enjoy some! Yesterday while my Crockpot was doing most of the work for our supper I sat out.

For the past few weeks I have watched a pair of Robbins build a nest on my neighbors shed, under the eave on top of a downspout. After the eggs were laid they took turns sitting on them. The past few days I could see the eggs had hatched and they were taking turns feeding them. I wanted a picture of that but when I got close enough for a good shot they would not feed them. I finally settled for a couple of shots of one of them in the nest.

Last spring a rabbit adopted my backyard to stay in and lived under my smoking deck. After a few times I hollered no at my dog when he chased it they finally would stay out together at a distance going about their business. The rabbit had a mate that stayed under my neighbors shed; I wasn’t sure which one was the female.

They survived the winter and were out early spring. Mine started gathering grass and twigs so figured it was the female. I had not seen mine out for a week and yesterday when I stepped out there was a baby about a foot from my deck. My dog had gone out so I chased it back under the deck. I knew he would want to chase them. Later it was behind my house in a flower bed, don’t think the dog saw it.

We were in the house for a while then went back out. After just a bit my dog was quiet so checked and he was laying there eating something, a baby bunny. I think a hawk actually killed it and he was having the leftovers. There is a Coopers hawk that visits my backyard regularly. All that was left was the four feet and that is typical of how a hawk would hold and eat it. My dog usually lets out a yelp as he chases something and I never heard the bunny squeal; they sound like a baby crying. At least that’s my story!

This afternoon I went out and checked and there were two more in my flower bed. My dog started to chase but I hollered No and he stopped. He left them alone. Now I know two out of three have survived. I don’t know if there are more but it will be lucky if one survives. Between the cats that roam the neighborhood and the hawks their survival rate is not too high.

I think the rabbits sense somehow that my fenced in yard is cat free, my dog keeps it cat free! Years ago when I had my Dalmatian a female raised litters in a half a whiskey barrel right outside my back door for three years. She always went over and had a sniff but left them alone. I can’t remember if she ever got any of the babies or not.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Backyard Wild Life Pics
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:52:12 AM »
Good pics!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »
Great pictures!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »
We are starting to see a bunch of rabbits around my house this year.  I will have to be on the lookout for the foxes in our area.  They don't play well together.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
I don't have pics but have 9 deers come thru my side yard at night. Might have to get a license and get the cross bow out. I need more freezer space tho.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
Cool pictures! We live on the side of a creek here in a very metro area but have a lot of wildlife. We have two Golden eagles that stay with us all the time and Bald eagles visit from time to time. Lots of hawks and different woodpeckers. We deer from time to time and coyotes. Not many squirrels and several neighborhood cats have gone missing, I guess it is the hawks and coyotes.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pappymn

Backyard Wild Life Pics
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »
Rabbits are public enemy number one in my yard
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »
Great shots, one of these days you will need to teach me how to get those close up's ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Excellent photos!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
Yea I know Pappy they can eat up some good garden crops, my neighbor said they ate his flowers and chased them out. One yr. I put out green beans, they loved them!  ::) Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
Great shots, one of these days you will need to teach me how to get those close up's ;)
Tommy I have an Olympus telephoto lens, 140-600 mm equivalent, but I need to be close for good light. The lens was about $300 it's about $2000 for the one I would like that does better in low light. A good point and shoot camera w/telephoto will do pretty well too. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
Yea I know Pappy they can eat up some good garden crops, my neighbor said they ate his flowers and chased them out. One yr. I put out green beans, they loved them!  ::) Don

Many years ago while growing up, my dad always had a very large garden. It was his pride and joy. But he was always complaining about the @$$@$$## rabbits that were eating our veggies. Many years later after he retired and his physical issues affected him, i decided to put his garden in my back yard. I did all the heavy work and he could putter, weed and harvest. The rabbits were now eating veggies in my garden! History repeats itself and I caught myself complaining about the rabbits. He calmly handed me a cold beer, took a swig of his and said, " Gene they don't eat much, just plant a little more next time!"  He was right you know! Now cats that are allowed to roam free or wild ones.......a whole another matter!!!!!!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »

Many years ago while growing up, my dad always had a very large garden. It was his pride and joy. But he was always complaining about the @$$@$$## rabbits that were eating our veggies. Many years later after he retired and his physical issues affected him, i decided to put his garden in my back yard. I did all the heavy work and he could putter, weed and harvest. The rabbits were now eating veggies in my garden! History repeats itself and I caught myself complaining about the rabbits. He calmly handed me a cold beer, took a swig of his and said, " Gene they don't eat much, just plant a little more next time!"  He was right you know! Now cats that are allowed to roam free or wild ones.......a whole another matter!!!!!!

Great story and a great "quote." Take life as it comes and accept it. It all works out...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
Great looking photos Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
Tommy I have an Olympus telephoto lens, 140-600 mm equivalent, but I need to be close for good light. The lens was about $300 it's about $2000 for the one I would like that does better in low light. A good point and shoot camera w/telephoto will do pretty well too. Don

What camera are you shooting with Don? I just got the Oly EM-5 Mark II....and I am loving it. I also bought 7 lenses...don't tell the Mrs..... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401