Author Topic: Springtime blooms  (Read 6180 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Springtime blooms
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 03:55:17 PM »
Thanks all!

Something I need to figure out is - if using JPG files - then reducing/compressing the files in order to fit Photobucket - then LTBBQ is "flattening" my images. The original field of these shots - even as JPG files - are sharp...I mean razor sharp. And the colors lose a little something in the process too....so I am still learning how to manipulate the images, so that they have the same "pop"when I shrink and re-post them.

Any ideas and input welcome.  I am trying to avoid processing raw files via Lightroom....Just more work. And - the pics straight from the camera are usually so good - that it seems un-needed *IF* I can find a way to preserve the qualities that make a good image.

I've never used Photobucket so cannot comment on that. I will say - on the screen these are amazingly sharp and excellent pictures. I do all my stuff in Photoshop - adjusting, flattening, reducing and compressing into jpegs. I will sometimes adjust the brightness / contrast to help some colors pop. As you know, anytime you move from raw to jpeg you lose a ton of detail - just the way it is. But, frankly, I don't think you need to be concerned - for reproducing on a computer screen - these are looking great. For printing - of course, you will use the higher resolution, uncompressed files.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
how do you keep that pond so clear? I have two (about half your size) and can never keep them clear.
Love to cook and eat

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks David. I guess I will get some practice  on Lightroom and PS Elements....

how do you keep that pond so clear? I have two (about half your size) and can never keep them clear.

This pond is spring fed - so, you could say I cheat.... ;D...I calculated that it changes about 1000 gal. in a 24 hour period. It is not at it's clearest in those pics. We have had a good amount rain lately. It gets gin clear. Will get some pics of it when we have some dry days. Where I live is in an Upland Rain Forest. 70 inches of rain a year. We were wetter here than Seattle last year.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 09:31:30 PM »
Thanks all!

Something I need to figure out is - if using JPG files - then reducing/compressing the files in order to fit Photobucket - then LTBBQ is "flattening" my images. The original field of these shots - even as JPG files - are sharp...I mean razor sharp. And the colors lose a little something in the process too....so I am still learning how to manipulate the images, so that they have the same "pop"when I shrink and re-post them.

Any ideas and input welcome.  I am trying to avoid processing raw files via Lightroom....Just more work. And - the pics straight from the camera are usually so good - that it seems un-needed *IF* I can find a way to preserve the qualities that make a good image.

I process my JPEG's through Lightroom Tim. Doesn't affect the compression as far as I can see.  I have been using Lightroom since it first came out. I used to always shoot in raw. I now only shoot raw if I am going to shoot landscapes that I want to print. Other than that I just shoot JPEG. A lot less hassle then working with RAW. Give it a try for your JPEG's. I reduce my photos to 700x700 when I export them, then upload them to Photobucket then LTBBQ. In my eyes they still look as sharp as the originals.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:28 PM »
Very nice pics Tim and it sure looks like you have a great place to unwind!  8)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:01 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words folks. I am a very, very lucky man and I am grateful to live in such a nice place.

Thanks all!

I process my JPEG's through Lightroom Tim. Doesn't affect the compression as far as I can see.  I have been using Lightroom since it first came out. I used to always shoot in raw. I now only shoot raw if I am going to shoot landscapes that I want to print. Other than that I just shoot JPEG. A lot less hassle then working with RAW. Give it a try for your JPEG's. I reduce my photos to 700x700 when I export them, then upload them to Photobucket then LTBBQ. In my eyes they still look as sharp as the originals.

I will bring my computer and camera gear on the road trip to the Buckeye Gathering....All pointers will be appreciated. :)

Nice photos!  I have been away for a while, so missed what Olympus you have. OMD 1?

I am using the Oly OMD  EM-5 Mark II  ( that is a mouthful of camera name huh? :D) The only real feature I think it misses from the OMD 1 is phase detection tracking auto-focus. But the contrast detect auto-focus on the EM-5 Mk II is so good...that has not been missed. Perhaps if I did a lot of sports-action stuff - yes. But so far - I love this camera. Small, light and powerful.

Very nice.... Spring has sprung for sure.... Good luck with the photo manipulation....  Will the camera re-size the picture before you transfer it? 

Yep..I can select several different file sizes that the camera will re-size before export - but I am always afraid I will not see the full definition of the shot that way.  I will try some reduced file sizes out of the camera tho....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:24:21 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 04:34:36 AM »
Awesome photos Tim! That Olympus rocks!
KOI!!!!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.