Author Topic: Music to Cook By  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Music to Cook By
« Reply #-1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
Jul 15 2015

I am a happier camper, BBQ cook, now. I have a small package mp3 player and speaker to have music on
 my smoke deck while I am cooking out.

I grew up with the birth of rock and roll back in the 50’s; Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, The Big Bopper, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Waylon Jennings was some of my favorite. Elvis was there too but he was not a favorite of mine. I also liked country and Hank Williams was my favorite. The craze was going to sock hops and dancing crazy to rock and roll. All the religious leaders said we were all going to hell!

I am 73 now and still love music, my favorite I guess would be alternative country and I still like the oldies. I have surround sound on my TV set up and a subwoofer with 2 speakers on my PC that has great sound. I had my wife’s note pad set up to play music over two powered speakers I could take outside. It was a pain to take out and mess with the cords so I didn’t use it often.

I bought a Sandisk Sport Clip mp3 player and a Cambridge Sound Works Oontz Angle Plus speaker. It is a nice small package to carry outside with me and enjoy music. The speaker has good sound and would do for a small party. It’s not big speaker sound and would not do for a large yard party or cook out but for me it is pretty good sound with nice bass. I have 160 songs loaded on the mp3 player and can probably get close to 100 more on its 8g bytes. It will take an 8g mini sd card for expansion.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Music to Cook By
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »
Nice set up Don. Music and Que and Beer.....just can't beat that combo  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
Nice set up Don. Music and Que and Beer.....just can't beat that combo  :) :)

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »
I like it Don!
I'm grabbing some adult refreshments and will be over! ;)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
I've got a battery operated transistor AM radio that I use outside..it's a red and white Philco. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
I've got a battery operated transistor AM radio that I use outside..it's a red and white Philco. Dee

Of course you do... love it!  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
I have my iPod with a nice set of Jensen powered speakers. I have a ton of stuff I listen to but will crank up someme classic Allman Brothers regularly when cooking. Goes well with some cold beer. Zach Brown and some Jimmy Buffett goes well too. When I am particularly laid back and don't want to worry too much about tending a fire or food some Bob Marley goes on.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
When we had an above ground pool put in a few years back for the kids. I had wires run out to the pool & under our sunroom. So I have a five CD player unit in the house with a receiver.

I play lots of 40's big band, Genesis music, & soft rock. I also put on 12 string music later at night.

So Speakers in the sun room, under the deck & out by the pool.....I got all my space covered.

We do outdoor movies on a 12 foot screen for the kids & later on the adults. This also has music because it is all on a cart except for the Screen (12 feet) & speakers,

So Music is a big part of our outdoor life including Cooking.

I really want to add an outdoor TV for homegating but they cost big $$$$
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Music to Cook By
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »

Jul 15 2015

I am a happier camper, BBQ cook, now. I have a small package mp3 player and speaker to have music on
 my smoke deck while I am cooking out.

I grew up with the birth of rock and roll back in the 50’s; Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, The Big Bopper, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Waylon Jennings was some of my favorite. Elvis was there too but he was not a favorite of mine. I also liked country and Hank Williams was my favorite. The craze was going to sock hops and dancing crazy to rock and roll. All the religious leaders said we were all going to hell!

I am 73 now and still love music, my favorite I guess would be alternative country and I still like the oldies. I have surround sound on my TV set up and a subwoofer with 2 speakers on my PC that has great sound. I had my wife’s note pad set up to play music over two powered speakers I could take outside. It was a pain to take out and mess with the cords so I didn’t use it often.

I bought a Sandisk Sport Clip mp3 player and a Cambridge Sound Works Oontz Angle Plus speaker. It is a nice small package to carry outside with me and enjoy music. The speaker has good sound and would do for a small party. It’s not big speaker sound and would not do for a large yard party or cook out but for me it is pretty good sound with nice bass. I have 160 songs loaded on the mp3 player and can probably get close to 100 more on its 8g bytes. It will take an 8g mini sd card for expansion.

Smokin Don
If you are into alt country you NEED to check out the Turnpike Troubadours and Corb Lund if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
I need to get me a Bluetooth speaker for the backyard. I have a varied taste in music including some pretty heavy stuff.. neighbors are gonna love me.. hehe 
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
We use one of these : http://www.amazon.com/G-Project-Wireless-Bluetooth-Boombox-Speaker/dp/B00CKYVYI6

It's bluetooth so we hook up to it with our phones and play whatever is on the phone, or youtube or pandora. Works great and has a pretty long battery life and works while charging so we can play it all day. Has very good sound for its size.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »
Those look great RG. There are nights I love going out by myself & just listening to my music with a 7 & 7 ;D  Or two ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 01:12:32 AM »
Hello Don,

I will bring some music you will enjoy to the Gathering. I have hundreds of the "Oldies" starting in the 50's and continued on to the 80's in both rock and roll and country. Have many more of the classic country songs after that period to the present time. In all, probably about 1200 songs.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts