Author Topic: The Good One Open Range  (Read 78888 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: The Good One Open Range
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
Now you know that The Smoke loves to reverse sear.  I can't thing of a better set up to do that than in a Good One.

You can smoke your meat in the Good One.

Then just add the grilling grate to the Fire/Grill Box. Close the Damper to the smoking chamber.

Get your reverse sear on. I will make sure to do some of that for the review.  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
Good video..

Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »
Good video..

It is a good video, but that is the second generation model. Gone is the optional adjustable charcoal grate.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
As promised, here is the charcoal grate/ash pan. They are welded together. The charcoal grate appears to be 9 gauge expanded steel. Very heavy stuff, should last a long time. An easy phone call and you can get another one. Your fire-box on The Good One should last forever.

Cleaning: lift it out.......dump the ash......put it back in the fire box......get to smoking/grilling......it is that simple..... 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
The Good One offers a very nice heavy vinyl cover with tie down straps for the Open Range
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »

The Award Winning Generation lll Open Range Smoker/Grill received the 2015 Top Smoker/Grill from the Amazing Ribs.com Website. This is the Third year for the USA made smoker to receive the Award.

Here is Meatheads(Amazing Ribs) take on the Open Range from the Good One

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/good-one-open-range
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 11:07:29 PM »
Lets do some grilling on the Open Range. How about some burgers. See how the two firebox spinners are open so we can get our grill on.

I opened the smoke box spinner vent wide open and opened the full length damper to fully open. This way my smoke box works like a smokestack.

This view shows the damper wide open. Makes for a good warming box for the buns  :)

Got the bottom buns staying warm while the cheese melts. A good example of the versatility of The Open Range

Popped open some Armour chili with beans and a nice smoked chili size
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 12:12:19 AM »
Does the two smoking racks cook at the same temp?  I'm really liking this smoker.  Being able to smoke and grill at the same time would almost replace everything else I own.  I love my charcoal but this pit you could burn lump, kingsford and sticks.  Very cool.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »
Does the two smoking racks cook at the same temp?  I'm really liking this smoker.  Being able to smoke and grill at the same time would almost replace everything else I own.  I love my charcoal but this pit you could burn lump, kingsford and sticks.  Very cool.

The design of the smoking chamber lid makes the heat and smoke swirl around the food. I haven't had grub on both smoking racks with this model, but the Generation 1 that I cooked and demonstrated on I did. I never had to rotate the meat. The entire smoking chamber cooks very evenly. I attribute that to the lid design and the full length damper.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:39 AM »
Love reviews from The Smoke. And this one is no exception. If and when I am ready to pop a grand for a new cooker, this will be a strong contender vs. a pellet grill. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »
Sparky you're correct!
You can load with charcoal for a long unattended cook or when you want to get a cooler of Fat Tire & add a wood split every beer or two!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
Sparky you're correct!
You can load with charcoal for a long unattended cook or when you want to get a cooler of Fat Tire & add a wood split every beer or two!

Lost Arrow is spot on. You can either use The Good One for set it and forget it.........or do your splits and manage the fire......it is up to you......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »
Love reviews from The Smoke. And this one is no exception. If and when I am ready to pop a grand for a new cooker, this will be a strong contender vs. a pellet grill. Thanks!

The Good One offers the "set it and forget it" aspect of pellet grills........minus the disadvantages of moving parts breaking,electronic issues and the dreaded auger jam and of course..my old friend...the power outage  ???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:11:34 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
When I was a Cowboy Dealer for Ace of Hearts, Rob asked me if I could have a guy that lived locally could come by and see my Open Range. He came by and liked it so much, he did not want to wait to get his new one. He wanted mine!! So I called Rob and ordered a new one for me and sold this guy my Open Range. The next morning he did a brisket cook for his first run and made a video. So here is the video from 2010 with Mark using my first Good One. A Generation One model.

Now Mark, had to refuel, he obviously did not start with a full fire-box...but it was his first cook, and he went for a brisket. The Good One can make you a pitmaster on your very first cook  8)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Chris Marks demonstrating on how to light a Good One Open Range

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven