Author Topic: The Good One Open Range  (Read 81291 times)

Offline oldsteve

Re: The Good One Open Range
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:51 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed The Good-One website with a question of "How do you get your Maverick probes into the smoker chamber?" Chris Marks replied that you just drill a couple holes big enough for the probe and wire to fit through. It would be great if that was already done at the factory. When I ordered my Yoder YS-640 I had them install two of them. They are the type with a small insert that you can remove when you're using the probes. I guess I'm just reluctant to drill holes in something that is brand new. I should be getting my new Open Range sometime this coming week. Now if I can remember the saying: Is it drill twice and measure once??? Or the other way around???
KBQ
PBC
Yoder YS-640
26" Weber w/slow and sear
Lodge Hibachi
Waiting for delivery of The Good-One Open Range

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
Oldsteve,
No need to worry about drilling holes in the smoking chamber of the Good One. There are two opening on the top corner of the smoking chamber where the lids closes down. The probes & wires go through there very easily. You can put both in one side or one on each side. It won't pinch the wire or crimp it in any way. I found out after using it several times I just started using the thermometer on the lid. Its very accurate. You are going to love this little off-set. They really rock the BBQ. Hope that this helps,
4cornersmoker
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
I have always ran the probe wire through the top damper with no problems.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline oldsteve

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
Thanks guys for the quick answers. I feel better now! Getting things ready to do ribs and tri-tip later today on the KBQ and Pit Barrel. Bad news is it's already 75° at 9:00 a.m. in the morning. Forecast is for 100°. I Might as well get used to it since this is just the start of the 4-5 months of hot weather that is normal for this area (Citrus Heights, CA).
KBQ
PBC
Yoder YS-640
Lodge Hibachi

Offline Gunsmokers

• Gunsmokers Facebook Page
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
Wires fit nicely under the hood - no pinch whatsoever  ;D

~Gunsmokers~

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2016, 11:20:22 AM »
Put that drill away  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline oldsteve

« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
Thanks Gunsmokers for the picture. That says it all. I see your Grii-Grate tool hanging from the cooker. I also have an assortment of Grill-Grates. Another great tool!
KBQ
PBC
Yoder YS-640
Lodge Hibachi

Offline Gunsmokers

• Gunsmokers Facebook Page
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
Thanks Gunsmokers for the picture. That says it all. I see your Grii-Grate tool hanging from the cooker. I also have an assortment of Grill-Grates. Another great tool!

;D

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
Well, I am gonna close the doors on this review thread. Any questions you are more than welcome to pm me  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven